Home theater/club room renovation planning & ?s

D

Dal1as

Junior Audioholic
This will be an ongoing thread of my basement renovation. Complete demo and rebuild. Still a little ways from starting but have a little more planning to do.

I have the theater mostly planned. It will be 13.5 x 20 x 8. 7.4.4 system using all in walls in angled walls. 4 15" subs, 1 in each corner. Probably use the Monolith THX speakers. More detail later.

The issue I am running into is planning the Game room. It will be 22 x 16 with a pool table tv/fireplace/ couch area. The system build in here is where I'm running into trouble. A small 5.1 zone for the tv. A 4 channel club like zone for the whole room when playing pool and such. Zone 3 is the patio and pool area.

I am trying to figure out if I could have a receiver/processer run all 3 zones.

1st question. Do the higher end receivers process hdmi digital and route audio to zones 2 and 3. My older Integra does not and it seems that is still an issue. I currently am using an hdmi audio extractor to a DAC with a firestick sending PCM to do this.

2nd question. How to setup the subs. I plan on having 2 18" or 15" inch subs in the room. 1 in each corner. These will be for the club zone and dsp for the whole room. Should I and can I run a seperate sub for the 5.1 system in the couch area.

Question 3. Could I easilly do the above on 1 of the better receivers or processors.

Question 4. Will that processor or receiver give me the ability to map unused amp channels to the 2nd club zone using the 2 subs and still use the 1 other sub for the main zone. My thinking is I will have to use the zone 2 out to a seperate amp/dsp to the 2 subs and 4 club speakers and just leave the other amplifier channels unused.

Diagram of basement below. Thanks for any input.

Attachments

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Nice project! I really like the layout and separation of spaces. For the pool room, have you considered going a more "lifestyle" route or is home theater accuracy paramount? The reason I am asking is it is rather asymmetrical and I doubt anyone would get a full surround experience. I could almost see a high quality sound bar/sub at the TV with self powered speakers placed about the room for ambiance and fill ala Sonos, Bluesound or possibly Heos. That would alleviate duties from a central unit and kind of accomplish what you are after. The cool thing is those two zones could be easily controlled via an app. Just a thought...

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I can't offer any advise on your receiver question(s), as my HT setup is about 10 years old (pre-atmos) and I really haven't kept up on the latest advancements, since I haven't been in the market for a new one.

However, I have a PJ with an AT screen. I don't know if you're on a budget, but I saved a lot of money by going DIY. I bought my screen material from here: Seymour AV | Center Stage screens. I'm very pleased with how it turned out.

Our foundations are of similar dimensions, although mine is a bit shorter, at 44'. The limitation I faced is that the load-bearing wall runs down the middle, so the room is only about 10'6" wide. Therefore, I was a bit restricted on screen size and went with 104". The room is long, though, at 27', so instead of in-walls, my fronts are conventional box speakers, all hidden behind a false wall covered with black speaker cloth.

I also have a laundry room beside the HT room. If you are bothered by external sounds intruding on your listening, you may want to consider some acoustic isolation measures, such as acoustic insulation in the dividing wall, acoustic wallboard and/or staggered studs. I find that I tend to "tune out" any external sounds, so I didn't bother with it. Just a consideration, that's all.

D

Dal1as

Junior Audioholic
Nice project! I really like the layout and separation of spaces. For the pool room, have you considered going a more "lifestyle" route or is home theater accuracy paramount? The reason I am asking is it is rather asymmetrical and I doubt anyone would get a full surround experience. I could almost see a high quality sound bar/sub at the TV with self powered speakers placed about the room for ambiance and fill ala Sonos, Bluesound or possibly Heos. That would alleviate duties from a central unit and kind of accomplish what you are after. The cool thing is those two zones could be easily controlled via an app. Just a thought...
I thought about that approach. The couch area will be for casual gaming and tv. I'm more worried about the club sound when playing pool and ambience than anything. I want it to sound like a good system in a pool hall sort of. 2 or more subs. 4 good speakers in the tip 4 corners of the room. Everything will be hardwired. Doing homeruns for the whole house.

D

Dal1as

Junior Audioholic
I can't offer any advise on your receiver question(s), as my HT setup is about 10 years old (pre-atmos) and I really haven't kept up on the latest advancements, since I haven't been in the market for a new one.

However, I have a PJ with an AT screen. I don't know if you're on a budget, but I saved a lot of money by going DIY. I bought my screen material from here: Seymour AV | Center Stage screens. I'm very pleased with how it turned out.

Our foundations are of similar dimensions, although mine is a bit shorter, at 44'. The limitation I faced is that the load-bearing wall runs down the middle, so the room is only about 10'6" wide. Therefore, I was a bit restricted on screen size and went with 104". The room is long, though, at 27', so instead of in-walls, my fronts are conventional box speakers, all hidden behind a false wall covered with black speaker cloth.

I also have a laundry room beside the HT room. If you are bothered by external sounds intruding on your listening, you may want to consider some acoustic isolation measures, such as acoustic insulation in the dividing wall, acoustic wallboard and/or staggered studs. I find that I tend to "tune out" any external sounds, so I didn't bother with it. Just a consideration, that's all.
Sucks about the load bearing wall. My limitation is just a steel I beam in the center of the house and 1 post.

Will be doing clips and channel with MDF walls and soundproofing in the theater. I didn't want the 2nd door into the utility room but no way around it with the bathroom.

My current system is where the pool room will be. Klipsch Rf-83 7.1 system Integra processor. Set up with Auddysy Pro.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
This will be an ongoing thread of my basement renovation. Complete demo and rebuild. Still a little ways from starting but have a little more planning to do.

I have the theater mostly planned. It will be 13.5 x 20 x 8. 7.4.4 system using all in walls in angled walls. 4 15" subs, 1 in each corner. Probably use the Monolith THX speakers. More detail later.

The issue I am running into is planning the Game room. It will be 22 x 16 with a pool table tv/fireplace/ couch area. The system build in here is where I'm running into trouble. A small 5.1 zone for the tv. A 4 channel club like zone for the whole room when playing pool and such. Zone 3 is the patio and pool area.

I am trying to figure out if I could have a receiver/processer run all 3 zones.

1st question. Do the higher end receivers process hdmi digital and route audio to zones 2 and 3. My older Integra does not and it seems that is still an issue. I currently am using an hdmi audio extractor to a DAC with a firestick sending PCM to do this.

2nd question. How to setup the subs. I plan on having 2 18" or 15" inch subs in the room. 1 in each corner. These will be for the club zone and dsp for the whole room. Should I and can I run a seperate sub for the 5.1 system in the couch area.

Question 3. Could I easilly do the above on 1 of the better receivers or processors.

Question 4. Will that processor or receiver give me the ability to map unused amp channels to the 2nd club zone using the 2 subs and still use the 1 other sub for the main zone. My thinking is I will have to use the zone 2 out to a seperate amp/dsp to the 2 subs and 4 club speakers and just leave the other amplifier channels unused.

Diagram of basement below. Thanks for any input.
As mentioned it's going to be hard to do a full 5 channel surround into that layout. Nice design tho by the way

Why not just do really awesome 3 front speakers or 2 save coin for getting the best 3 or 2 speakers you can and saving you more coin for the subs?

You don't always have to have surround sound into a layout really good 2 channel listening is still way better then a soundbar or smaller surround setup if you put the right money in to the speakers and subs

That way you free whatever reciever you use to run the other zones

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis