Home Set Up with In Wall Speakers & Soundbar

T

tm48

Audiophyte
Not sure if this is where this should be posted but: in our new home we have a large two story great room. I will be mounting a tv on the wall (65”+) with 4 in wall speakers. See the attached file. Red is tv location and blue are in wall speakers. My thought was to have a good sound bar under the tv To use as the center/left/right and then use the four in walls as surround. Or do I use the two rear in walls as a 5:1 setup and the front two as surround. (I think they are far enough away from tv to use as such ?!?).
With all that said, what brand do I look at. I’ve glanced at Bose and Sonos. What else should I look at? I know there will be debate on the best. I just need to know I’m looking at a good brand, and not a junker. Any input or advice would be great because this isn’t a cheap purchase to screw up and I know there are experts and people with good advice/reviews out there. Thanks.

Attachments

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Are you not able to use Bookshelf or Floorstand speakers?

No one here is going to recommend the use of a Soundbar.
And In-Wall speakers unless done right, sound quality will suffer

And No One here is going to recommend Bose. Not on this Audio Forum or any

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Not sure if this is where this should be posted but: in our new home we have a large two story great room. I will be mounting a tv on the wall (65”+) with 4 in wall speakers. See the attached file. Red is tv location and blue are in wall speakers. My thought was to have a good sound bar under the tv To use as the center/left/right and then use the four in walls as surround. Or do I use the two rear in walls as a 5:1 setup and the front two as surround. (I think they are far enough away from tv to use as such ?!?).
With all that said, what brand do I look at. I’ve glanced at Bose and Sonos. What else should I look at? I know there will be debate on the best. I just need to know I’m looking at a good brand, and not a junker. Any input or advice would be great because this isn’t a cheap purchase to screw up and I know there are experts and people with good advice/reviews out there. Thanks.
That layout of yours makes no sense and will not be satisfactory. Unfortunately you have a fairly typical open space great room, as so many houses have, that is totally unsuited to surround sound.

I would get a nice set of left and right speakers, a center and a sub or two. Sound bars are not good and Bose will be a disaster. In addition a sound bar is unsuited for duty as a center channel.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Good Pictures of your room would help.

Budget for the Audio portion. And do you have electronics or do you need?

Last edited:
DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
Yes, please do post photos and give us a budget for the speakers. I'm sure we can come up with something that will work.

BTW as they say in the AV biz: "No highs, no lows, it must be Bose." :D

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
I’ve never seen a traditional soundbar that will work with in-wall speakers.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
This one will. It's made with (3) of Triad's Mini LCRs. The only problem is that it's not recommended for large rooms. I suppose if you aren't looking for high volume output, it could work. It's also available as a single or dual channel soundbar.

T

tm48

Audiophyte
Sorry, life happens with two kids. And there’s other things of more importance to get done (according to the wife). I have a few pictures attached. Budget - not looking to spend the bank but don’t wanna skimp either. Assuming 2-4K should suffice. Or you will tell me I’m nuts. Doesn’t have to be some great theater sound. But don’t want junk sound either. That’s exactly the response I expected and am glad to hear about Bose. Let’s assume I can make four in wall speakers work. I don’t care how anything else is set up(soundbar, sub, other types of speakers, etc). Hope this helps and I’ll try to respond quicker this time. Thanks.

Attachments

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
So are you saying that floorstander or bookshelf speakers will not work?

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Can you make 5 in wall speakers work? I would just go in wall 5.1 and skip the sound bar if I had to go in walls.

T

tm48

Audiophyte
Nothing is out of the question. I was just trying to avoid actual standing speakers. Trying for a more clean look. I could potentially look at adding another 5th in wall. It sounds like soundbar is not a good idea in that kind of room?! Or it would work but not recommended?

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Nothing is out of the question. I was just trying to avoid actual standing speakers. Trying for a more clean look. I could potentially look at adding another 5th in wall. It sounds like soundbar is not a good idea in that kind of room?! Or it would work but not recommended?
A soundbar is not a good idea in any kind of room. Plus I think it would be really hard to match the sound of the soundbar to whatever other speakers you get for surround sound.

T

tm48

Audiophyte
I came here for a reason. I’ve gotten some great advice. Need to see what I can talk the wife into Haha. It’s looking like I will be looking at some standing left center and right speakers. Might stick with in walls for the rear speakers. And then may or may not use front in walls. Had some good advice given. Looking at cantons currently. Never heard of them but I’m just an average joe in this knowledge base ha which is why I’m here.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Need to see what I can talk the wife into Haha. It’s looking like I will be looking at some standing left center and right speakers. Looking at cantons currently.
She should like them. Piano Gloss White

16972.png

16969.png

Last edited:
DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
The Canton's are very attractive speakers. No Doubt about it.

Another option: You could get Triad LCRs and they will paint the Speaker, speaker grill and even the Pedestals any color you like.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis