Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Because I recently developed lung cancer, and because I never smoked, I wondered what levels of radon radiation were in my home. I tested for it more than 20 years ago, and the test showed little detectable radiation. Radon test kits are cheap, so I tested again.

The test showed a border line low level of radiation of 2.5±0.1 pCi/L. To compare, average outdoor radon levels are 0.4 pCi/L, and average indoor radon levels are 1.3 pCi/L.

The curie is a standard measure for the intensity of radioactivity contained in a sample of radioactive material. It was named after French scientists Marie & Pierre Curie for their landmark research into the nature of radioactivity. A curie is defined as the radioactivity of one gram of radium. Radium decays at a rate of about 2.2 trillion disintegrations (2.2×10^12) per minute. A picocurie (pCi) is one trillionth of a curie or 2.2 disintegrations per minute.

My home's level of 2.5 pCi/L is border line low. But it is between 2 and 4 pCi/L. Do I leave my basement as it is, or do I get it ventilated? What would you do?
1705599387656.png

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I have a newer (circa 2004) home and a dedicated Radon vent pipe in the basement. I don't remember the exact number from the 2014th home inspection, but it was low.

Based on the table you posted, I'd take some measures to reduce it.
I can't say how much it would be directly harmful (if kept as is) or beneficial to you (if you address it)- I'd think out of all AH regulars, you'd be the one best to judge it, but I can safely say that if or when the time comes to sell it, the new potential buyer may be turned off by it.

jinjuku

jinjuku

What's the construction of your home? Basement, slab, crawlspace. I would just get a remediation system to keep it in check if it gives you peace of mind.

If in a basement and you have windows: Crack a window open for 24 hours, after 24 hours, leaving the window open, retest.

So incredibly happy to see you active here.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I see a bunch of $90 meters....that the way to go or a test kit or ?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Because I recently developed lung cancer, and because I never smoked, I wondered what levels of radon radiation were in my home. I tested for it more than 20 years ago, and the test showed little detectable radiation. Radon test kits are cheap, so I tested again.

The test showed a border line low level of radiation of 2.5±0.1 pCi/L. To compare, average outdoor radon levels are 0.4 pCi/L, and average indoor radon levels are 1.3 pCi/L.

The curie is a standard measure for the intensity of radioactivity contained in a sample of radioactive material. It was named after French scientists Marie & Pierre Curie for their landmark research into the nature of radioactivity. A curie is defined as the radioactivity of one gram of radium. Radium decays at a rate of about 2.2 trillion disintegrations (2.2×10^12) per minute. A picocurie (pCi) is one trillionth of a curie or 2.2 disintegrations per minute.

My home's level of 2.5 pCi/L is border line low. But it is between 2 and 4 pCi/L. Do I leave my basement as it is, or do I get it ventilated? What would you do?
View attachment 65379
Two issues.

Radon levels fluctuate over time. I suspect at times your Radon level is higher than that and sometimes lower. In fact it can fluctuate quite widely even from day to day, and they tend to be higher in the winter.

My advice is to remediate your home for Radon. I know that won't help you personally, but you are not the only occupant.

Over time the advice gets to be more and more aggressive about Radon gas.

Radon is the second biggest risk factor for lung cancer after smoking and you are one case in a home with at least one marginal Radon reading.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Excuse my ignorance on this. (Never even thought of this). But is this something that occurs more in basements/under ground? Or would it be relevant for a concrete slab houes with no basemenet?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Excuse my ignorance on this. (Never even thought of this). But is this something that occurs more in basements/under ground? Or would it be relevant for a concrete slab houes with no basemenet?
Having no basement reduces the risk enormously. That is one of many reasons we did not build a basement.

A lot depends on local knowledge and your area geology. We live on a glacial retreat here in the Twin Cities and covers a large area. The huge Lake Agassiz that covered a large part of Minnesota and North Dakota is a known bad area. That was the largest of the Great Lakes. There are many others. Here is a map.

Note that hot spots border the great lakes, but all the way to the East Coast and the mountain ranges. SD is also a hot spot.

Really, it does not hurt to check where ever you live. Radon gas is nasty stuff.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Having no basement reduces the risk enormously. That is one of many reasons we did not build a basement.

A lot depends on local knowledge and your area geology. We live on a glacial retreat here in the Twin Cities and covers a large area. The huge Lake Agassiz that covered a large part of Minnesota and North Dakota is a known bad area. That was the largest of the Great Lakes. There are many others. Here is a map.

Note that hot spots border the great lakes, but all the way to the East Coast and the mountain ranges. SD is also a hot spot.

Really, it does not hurt to check where ever you live. Radon gas is nasty stuff.
Sounds like where you live is beautiful!!! excluding the Radon :)

Thanks for the link, I live in Texas and seems pretty low risk here at least! It's not pretty here though like some of those other places.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks. Turns out a short term test kit is free where I am, so just requested one. Haven't really had basements since I was a kid in Illinois, but have one now and apparently our area is moderate risk....we'll see.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
My first thought when reading this is "I have no idea if mine are high, low, or anywhere in between".

After TLS said the risk is low without a basement I feel better. We don't really do basements in TX, but I'm still curious to see what the levels are here. Kits don't look to be expensive.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
In answer to some questions:
  • My house was built in 1993. I've lived there ever since it was finished 30 years ago.
  • I have a full basement with poured concrete walls and floor.
Some background history on radon in my neighborhood:
  • Most of the houses on my block were built within a year of mine.
  • None had basements with radon ventilation, as built.
  • One house, next door to me, later had its basement ventilated when it was later resold, about 20-25 years ago. As a result, most of the people on my block (including me) got test kits and did the 3-day monitoring for radon. All resulted in negative or border-line low results. The owner of the house with the new vent system later told me his basement was also border-line low, but his wife insisted on getting the vent system.
  • No one on my block, other than that one house, installed basement ventilation systems.
My recent test results were no different than what I found about 20-25 years ago. Despite my lung cancer, I doubt if I will install a basement ventilation.
  • I will do another 3-day test later this spring or summer.
  • I will get an estimate of how much it costs for an installed basement vent system. Depending on the estimated cost, I might reconsider and get it done.
  • I'm beginning to see some bills for my recent 5-week stay in two hospitals. Thankfully, most are covered by health insurance. Some are not. My chemotherapy alone costs me nearly $1,200 for a 30-day supply for November & December last year. January's order cost more than $3,000. It's a new year – with the usual price hikes – and I probably pay higher prices for the first month or two, to cover the yearly deductible.
  • In addition, the gene-screen blood test, required by the FDA for all patients who take Super Catnip, gets repeated several times. It costs me $3,500 per test. The FDA requires it, but Medicare does not (yet) cover it.
  • There almost certainly will be more bills to pay in the future.

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Test kit - or - $90 meter?

Get the test kit. The levels of radiation involved are very low, and hard to reliably detect. I can't believe any $90 meter will be accurate or reliable enough to provide useful readings.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

In answer to some questions:
  • My house was built in 1993. I've lived there ever since it was finished 30 years ago.
  • I have a full basement with poured concrete walls and floor.
Some background history on radon in my neighborhood:
  • Most of the houses on my block were built within a year of mine.
  • None had basements with radon ventilation, as built.
  • One house, next door to me, later had its basement ventilated when it was later resold, about 20-25 years ago. As a result, most of the people on my block (including me) got test kits and did the 3-day monitoring for radon. All resulted in negative or border-line low results. The owner of the house with the new vent system later told me his basement was also border-line low, but his wife insisted on getting the vent system.
  • No one on my block, other than that one house, installed basement ventilation systems.
My recent test results were no different than what I found about 20-25 years ago. Despite my lung cancer, I doubt if I will install a basement ventilation.
  • I will do another 3-day test later this spring or summer.
  • I will get an estimate of how much it costs for an installed basement vent system. Depending on the estimated cost, I might reconsider and get it done.
  • I'm beginning to see some bills for my recent 5-week stay in two hospitals. Thankfully, most are covered by health insurance. Some are not. My chemotherapy alone costs me nearly $1,200 for a 30-day supply for November & December last year. January's order cost more than $3,000. It's a new year – with the usual price hikes – and I probably pay higher prices for the first month or two, to cover the yearly deductible.
  • In addition, the gene-screen blood test, required by the FDA for all patients who take Super Catnip, gets repeated several times. It costs me $3,500 per test. The FDA requires it, but Medicare does not (yet) cover it.
  • There almost certainly will be more bills to pay in the future.
That is the problem of living on the cutting edge of medicine. Tell me about it!

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Test kit - or - $90 meter?

Get the test kit. The levels of radiation involved are very low, and hard to reliably detect. I can't believe any $90 meter will be accurate or reliable enough to provide useful readings.
Thanks for posting. It reminded me that I need to test our lake house for radon. It tested fine when we bought it, but it it was not well sealed at the time and we had spray foam and new windows and doors installed so it's tight as a drum now. I suspect this could significantly effect the radon levels.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks for posting. It reminded me that I need to test our lake house for radon. It tested fine when we bought it, but it it was not well sealed at the time and we had spray foam and new windows and doors installed so it's tight as a drum now. I suspect this could significantly effect the radon levels.
Yes, measure it again. Sealing the house might allow you to detect radon radiation, but only if you had measurable levels of radon to begin with.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis