W

Wags240

Audiophyte
I recently retired and want to set up a home media server. I have a Windows based server I used to use for storing files at work. It's running Windows Server 2003, service pack 2, Intel Xenon X3360 @ 2.83 GHz and 3.99 G ram. I was wondering if I could repurpose this for home use since I no longer need it for work. If this would work I'd probably use Plex to keep track of media.

I know Windows Server is probably overkill for what I need but I'd like to use what I have if it's not too outdated.

W

Wags240

Audiophyte
One thing I should add. I'm mostly a Mac OS person now and have Apple TV on one TV with the other two TV's are Vizio smart tv's. When we built the house I wired it for Cat 5 networking in most rooms.

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
PLEX should be fine. Just throw one more USB 3 external drives on the server and call it a day.

Vizio has the PLEX app built in but Nvidia Shield would likely make navigating the interface much faster.

W

Wags240

Audiophyte
The server box has a separate drive just for the operating system and misc. software. It is running in Raid 6 over several drives for redundancy in case one drive goes down. Total usable space is around 2.5 Tb. I've gotten pretty far removed from Windows knowledge but can get by with help. This server runs 24/7 and has for many years with few problems.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
The server box has a separate drive just for the operating system and misc. software. It is running in Raid 6 over several drives for redundancy in case one drive goes down. Total usable space is around 2.5 Tb. I've gotten pretty far removed from Windows knowledge but can get by with help. This server runs 24/7 and has for many years with few problems.
That's an old, very outdated OS. If you don't need the windows part, you could try something like FreeNAS or unRAID. Since you're a mac guy they might feel a little more at home for you (if you like doing things with command line).

I've used unRAID for years and it's solid and can take the place of your RAID 6 setup and save you some future hassle. Same with FreeNAS, but it's hardware specs are much higher. unRAID can run on a toaster if your needs are low.

I also use Plex. Doesn't matter what OS you use, if your CPU/GPU isn't powerful you'll have issues if you ever can't play something directly and have to transcode on the fly.

As you said, you can install Plex on your current box as it sits, but I thought I'd give you some alternative OS to look into if you want to cut down your OS overhead.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
There are few things needed to unwind here. I will go in detail later, but very basically CPU is quite slow and won't be able to transcode videos in real-time. AN extra GPU card (doesn't have to be expensive) is pretty much required for this build.
Plex support hardware acceleration Only with Plex Pass (which I bought on sale a lifetime for $70)
Freenas or Truenas Core doesn't support video acceleration last time I check, not sure about unraid.
I'd just throw a plain Ubuntu Server OS.
A free alternative to Plex is https://jellyfin.org/docs/general/administration/hardware-acceleration.html, but Jellyfix in much more limited in terms of client it supports.

more later

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
There are few things needed to unwind here. I will go in detail later, but very basically CPU is quite slow and won't be able to transcode videos in real-time. AN extra GPU card (doesn't have to be expensive) is pretty much required for this build.
Plex support hardware acceleration Only with Plex Pass (which I bought on sale a lifetime for $70)
Freenas or Truenas Core doesn't support video acceleration last time I check, not sure about unraid.
I'd just throw a plain Ubuntu Server OS.
A free alternative to Plex is https://jellyfin.org/docs/general/administration/hardware-acceleration.html, but Jellyfix in much more limited in terms of client it supports.

more later
unRAID does support video acceleration.

I'll second Ubuntu server if you want something free. You can still use ZFS for RAID IIRC, and the learning curve would be much less than FreeNAS or one of it's cousins.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
My own Plex server is running on Nuc with Intel Celeron J3455. According to PassMark results, it's very similar in performance to your old Xeon machine. This is why I can talk about the need to add video acceleration.
J3455 included fairly recent build-in Intel GPU which included good support for various video formats processing using its QuickSync feature. On a dedicated video card like Nvidia for example, a sub-system called NVENC will be used for the same thing.
Here's an NVENC Support Matrix:
One of the more important columns is Max Concurrent sessions. Recently it was at 2 for most cards, recently raised quietly by Nvidia to 3 - https://www.techpowerup.com/268495/nvidia-silently-increases-geforce-nvenc-concurrent-sessions-limit-to-3
Don't let it stop you as there are patches available, like this one:
So Probably cheap GTX1050 like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/EVGA-GeForce-GTX-1050-TI-SC-Gaming-4GB-GDDR5-Graphics-Card/174419724649?epid=20003297363&hash=item289c39c969:g:2bIAAOSwuspY-KqJ
will be probably sufficient.

As I mentioned, a media server client(s) is something you should consider. Jellyfin doesn't have Vizio TV integration and Apple TV only using 3rd party Infuse player. On the other hand, Plex natively supports software for both.
The fine print here is while Plex Pass provides free clients, with Plex Free each client is extra ($5 approx)
But hey, I like free and you have time maybe you could figure out how to effectively used Jellyfin without spending money on supported clients.

Another subject is storage - 2.5TB is very, very little space for video library. Consider that a TV episode is at least 1gig in somewhat decent quality and movie is 4-5gb for a regular 1.5h flick. If you noticed I said my plex is NUC, which clearly doesn't support the space needed, not an issue for me since I use Freenas as storage only and plex server on a separate platform. In your case this hardware you would probably be ok running FreeNAS (aka Truenas Core) on it and plex on another box.

So you have several options: Go all free - Ubuntu and Jellyfin or Unraid with Plex - all decent options, later would much easier to set up and use, but more expensive. It all depends on your tech skills comfort and available time.
You could also mix and match OS and Media server (Ubuntu with Plex and Unraid with Jellyfin
)

Edit: You could use ZoL or ZFS on Linux to have FreeNAS like ZFS storage system running on Ubuntu Linux.
One of the main ZFS benefits is a self-healing system which cures bit rot problem - a common problem with many filesystems

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
My own Plex server is running on Nuc with Intel Celeron J3455. According to PassMark results, it's very similar in performance to your old Xeon machine. This is why I can talk about the need to add video acceleration.
J3455 included fairly recent build-in Intel GPU which included good support for various video formats processing using its QuickSync feature. On a dedicated video card like Nvidia for example, a sub-system called NVENC will be used for the same thing.
One of the more important columns is Max Concurrent sessions. Recently it was at 2 for most cards, recently raised quietly by Nvidia to 3 - https://www.techpowerup.com/268495/nvidia-silently-increases-geforce-nvenc-concurrent-sessions-limit-to-3
So Probably cheap GTX1050 like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/EVGA-GeForce-GTX-1050-TI-SC-Gaming-4GB-GDDR5-Graphics-Card/174419724649?epid=20003297363&hash=item289c39c969:g:2bIAAOSwuspY-KqJ

As I mentioned, a media server client(s) is something you should consider. Jellyfin doesn't have Vizio TV integration and Apple TV only using 3rd party Infuse player. On the other hand, Plex natively supports software for both.
The fine print here is while Plex Pass provides free clients, with Plex Free each client is extra ($5 approx)
But hey, I like free and you have time maybe you could figure out how to effectively used Jellyfin without spending money on supported clients.

Another subject is storage - 2.5TB is very, very little space for video library. Consider that a TV episode is at least 1gig in somewhat decent quality and movie is 4-5gb for a regular 1.5h flick. If you noticed I said my plex is NUC, which clearly doesn't support the space needed, not an issue for me since I use Freenas as storage only and plex server on a separate platform. In your case this hardware you would probably be ok running FreeNAS (aka Truenas Core) on it and plex on another box.

So you have several options: Go all free - Ubuntu and Jellyfin or Unraid with Plex - all decent options, later would much easier to set up and use, but more expensive. It all depends on your tech skills comfort and available time.
You could also mix and match OS and Media server (Ubuntu with Plex and Unraid with Jellyfin
)

Edit: You could use ZoL or ZFS on Linux to have FreeNAS like ZFS storage system running on Ubuntu Linux.
One of the main ZFS benefits is a self-healing system which cures bit rot problem - a common problem with many filesystems
What he said.

My system is running on a dual Xeon board so I've got 16 physical cores and they get taxed when I have 4 or so remote users trying to watch something at the same time. My GTX1050 card (similar to what @BoredSysAdmin linked) made a large difference in lessening the CPU load.

This server is also at 72TB of usable space which as I type this is about 90% full of lots of movies, TV shows, and music (granted, files and other stuff take up space too) so I'm pretty much all in when it comes to Plex. Been a lot of years since I started with Plex and it's been pretty good over the years. Any major issues have always been addressed whether it be app related (they have apps on almost EVERY platform, it's impressive) or server related.

Other options include Emby, Jellyfin or a local device running Kodi using the server as it's file storage. Before making a commitment to any, I'd look to see what issues/apps are supported and the price of each. Getting all the metadata correct with all of your media takes a LOT of time and doing it again SUCKS. Naming things properly the first go round is key.

I've been dealing with media servers and the like for over 20 years, so learn from my time consuming mistakes.

R

runducoff

Audiophyte
I recently retired and want to set up a home media server. I have a Windows based server I used to use for storing files at work. It's running Windows Server 2003, service pack 2, Intel Xenon X3360 @ 2.83 GHz and 3.99 G ram. I was wondering if I could repurpose this for home use since I no longer need it for work. If this would work I'd probably use Plex to keep track of media.

I know Windows Server is probably overkill for what I need but I'd like to use what I have if it's not too outdated.

Once you have a suitable operating system, install the media server software of your choice. Plex is a popular option and offers a user-friendly interface for managing and streaming media.
Organize your media files into appropriate folders and add them to your media server library. Plex, for example, allows you to scan and index your media collection automatically.
If you want to access your media server outside your home network, set up remote access through port forwarding or by using a virtual private network (VPN). You can also view information at https://goit.global/ph/.
Repurposing your Windows Server 2003 for a home media server can be a viable option, although it's worth noting that Windows Server 2003 is an outdated operating system that reached its end of support in 2015. As a result, it may not receive security updates or be compatible with the latest software. However, if you're comfortable with the risks associated with using an unsupported operating system, you can proceed.
To repurpose your server for home use, here are some steps you can consider:
Check if your server hardware meets the requirements for running Plex or any other media server software you plan to use. Ensure that it has sufficient storage capacity for your media library.
If possible, consider upgrading your server's operating system to a more recent version, such as Windows 10 or a Linux distribution like Ubuntu Server. This will provide better security, compatibility, and support for modern software.
Once you have a suitable operating system, install the media server software of your choice. Plex is a popular option and offers a user-friendly interface for managing and streaming media.
Organize your media files into appropriate folders and add them to your media server library. Plex, for example, allows you to scan and index your media collection automatically.
If you want to access your media server outside your home network, set up remote access through port forwarding or by using a virtual private network (VPN).
Since your server will store valuable media files, consider implementing a backup solution to protect your data. Regularly back up your media library to an external hard drive or a cloud storage service.
Ensure your server is connected to a reliable and fast network connection for seamless streaming. Consider using Ethernet connections for improved stability and speed.
Remember that while repurposing your existing server can be a cost-effective solution, it may not provide the same level of performance or energy efficiency as dedicated home media server hardware. If you encounter limitations or find that your server struggles to handle your media needs, you may want to explore dedicated NAS (Network-Attached Storage) devices or other media server solutions designed for home use.

Last edited:
Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Repurposing your Windows Server 2003 for a home media server can be a viable option, although it's worth noting that Windows Server 2003 is an outdated operating system that reached its end of support in 2015. As a result, it may not receive security updates or be compatible with the latest software. However, if you're comfortable with the risks associated with using an unsupported operating system, you can proceed.
Check if your server hardware meets the requirements for running Plex or any other media server software you plan to use. Ensure that it has sufficient storage capacity for your media library.
If possible, consider upgrading your server's operating system to a more recent version, such as Windows 10 or a Linux distribution like Ubuntu Server. This will provide better security, compatibility, and support for modern software.
If you want to access your media server outside your home network, set up remote access through port forwarding or by using a virtual private network (VPN).
Since your server will store valuable media files, consider implementing a backup solution to protect your data. Regularly back up your media library to an external hard drive or a cloud storage service.
Ensure your server is connected to a reliable and fast network connection for seamless streaming. Consider using Ethernet connections for improved stability and speed.
Remember that while repurposing your existing server can be a cost-effective solution, it may not provide the same level of performance or energy efficiency as dedicated home media server hardware. If you encounter limitations or find that your server struggles to handle your media needs, you may want to explore dedicated NAS (Network-Attached Storage) devices or other media server solutions designed for home use.
You replied to a three year old post.;)

T

Truett

Enthusiast
You replied to a three year old post.;)
Glad he did reply because I want help to pick a movie/music server. In addition to Kaleidescape. Want top notch choice. Where should I look for more info? Thanks!

S

Sally9K

Audiophyte
Since your server will store valuable media files, consider implementing a backup solution to protect your data. Thanks for sharing this information! I really appreciate it. I'm looking forward to the Dota 2 International 2023, and I'll definitely check out eGamersWorld for updates on the tournament. It sounds like a fantastic resource to stay in the loop with all the exciting matches and events. For those interested in the IT industry, GoIT Global offers a wide range of IT courses that can help you kickstart your career. It's a valuable opportunity to acquire the skills needed to succeed in this field. So, whether you're a Dota 2 enthusiast or considering a career change, there are some great options to explore. Thanks again for the recommendation!
a lot of information, but thank you, I enjoyed reading it

Last edited:
Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai

)

Pay attention to @BoredSysAdmin on topics like this. He knows what he's talking about. The details matter and the seemingly odd little details can kill you. All solid ideas.

I run Plex server with Plex Pass and it does the job on a Windows machine with a NAS. There's a learning curve for sure with naming conventions.

I run another paralell system because I am a Mac guy on my Mac Mini. That's the one I actually use every day.
I run two in parallel because I am convinced someday I may hate Apple or Apple will hate me so I decided to set them up and keep them both so when the Apple apocalypse happens I can just use Plex.

Retirement is great (congratulations) because it gives you plenty of time to fool with stuff like this.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Pay attention to @BoredSysAdmin on topics like this. He knows what he's talking about. The details matter and the seemingly odd little details can kill you. All solid ideas.

I run Plex server with Plex Pass and it does the job on a Windows machine with a NAS. There's a learning curve for sure with naming conventions.

I run another paralell system because I am a Mac guy on my Mac Mini. That's the one I actually use every day.
I run two in parallel because I am convinced someday I may hate Apple or Apple will hate me so I decided to set them up and keep them both so when the Apple apocalypse happens I can just use Plex.

Retirement is great (congratulations) because it gives you plenty of time to fool with stuff like this.
You got beef with Apple to eh?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I know this is grave digging, but at the least I'm late to the party.
Anyways, here's a good overview of Plex Media Server Hardware acceleration overview of different options and some limitations:

jinjuku

jinjuku

I know this is grave digging, but at the least I'm late to the party.
Anyways, here's a good overview of Plex Media Server Hardware acceleration overview of different options and some limitations:
My understanding is CPU encoding over GPU and just make sure you have a reasonably healthy network. I thought if you don't have to drop bit rate trans-coding doesn't happen.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis