Home Gym done....HSU's (x2) arrived....now an amplifier to finish up the man cave

H

hextall27

Audioholic
I have a Denon AVR-6400H receiver which I thought was good enough to push my Klipsch f/r/c. I found because the basement is large with carpet and approximately 16x24 feet in space I need to go really high on the volume to get good sound. The Klipsch I believe are easy to push so I'm wondering if a 3 channel Monolith or Emotiva Amp would be better to push the l/r/c? The Denon is "rated" at 140w per channel at 8 ohms. I'm guessing that number is inflated. Thoughts on the amp to increase the sound?

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
I have a Denon AVR-6400H receiver which I thought was good enough to push my Klipsch f/r/c. I found because the basement is large with carpet and approximately 16x24 feet in space I need to go really high on the volume to get good sound. The Klipsch I believe are easy to push so I'm wondering if a 3 channel Monolith or Emotiva Amp would be better to push the l/r/c? The Denon is "rated" at 140w per channel at 8 ohms. I'm guessing that number is inflated. Thoughts on the amp to increase the sound?
I would try the Denon 6400 first. My guess is it may do a great job. Klipsch is usually efficient. My Denon 4500 with 125 watts per channel was able to rock my 7' VMPS Towers in a 28' x 23' room.

I only added an external amp because I was running an 8.2 speaker setup off the 4500 and it would get warm. Once I moved the VMPS Towers to an ext. amp and used ECO mode it stays cool. My guess is if you add the external amp you won't notice much of a difference in sound. That's what I found.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The Denon X6400 ($2200 MSRP) is probably similar to the Yamaha RX-A3080 ($2200 MSRP) in terms of total power.

The RX-A3080 can output about 300 Watts x 2Ch into 4 ohms, so I think the X6400 should be able to power relatively efficient Klipsch speakers.

How far do you sit from the speakers? 15 FT?

My HT room is 22'W x 26'L x 14'H. I sit about 18 FT away.

Unless the volume is too loud, I don't think efficient speakers (90dB/2.83V/m or more) will need a lot of power.

But most people will buy amps anyway even if their speakers don't need the extra power. :D

Last edited:
H

hextall27

Audioholic
The Denon X6400 ($2200 MSRP) is probably similar to the Yamaha RX-A3080 ($2200 MSRP) in terms of total power.

The RX-A3080 can output about 200 Watts x 2Ch into 4 ohms, so I think the X6400 should be able to power relatively efficient Klipsch speakers.

How far do you sit from the speakers? 15 FT?

My HT room is 22'W x 26'L x 14'H. I sit about 18 FT away.

Unless the volume is too loud, I don't think efficient speakers (90dB/2.83V/m or more) will need a lot of power.

But most people will buy amps anyway even if their speakers don't need the extra power. :D

I thought for sure I wouldn't need one but it seems like I have to get the volume up to get some decent sound levels...I'm about 20 feet away from the tv/front/center speakers

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
BTW, I made a typo - the power output is 300W x 2Ch, not 200W x 2Ch.

So these $2K AVRs can definitely output some power.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
@hextall27
I'm about 20 feet away from the tv/front/center speakers
Why so far back???
You are almost on the back wall! Generally speaking, not great for Sound Quality and acoustic performance.

Tighten up your space a little. :)

How loud do you listen?

H

hextall27

Audioholic
@hextall27

Why so far back???
You are almost on the back wall! Generally speaking, not great for Sound Quality and acoustic performance.

How loud do you listen?
the TV is 86 inches and we didn't want to be sitting so close to it.....I'm finally lugging these massive HSU subs down there today and when I do the auddessey, I'm gonna fiddle with the settings a bit to see if that helps

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
@hextall27

Why so far back???

How loud do you listen?
Most times go to the back wall at the movie theaters:)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis