Home build speaker cables

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
wanting to build my own custom speaker cables been looking at canare 4s11 star quad . Ive read some good points about this brand any body ues this termated with good banna plugs . are there links anywhere .

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Some people use it, it's probably overkill tho....regular old 12g speaker wire from Monoprice works great. Canare, Mogami, Belden all make fine stock, too, but at higher prices for no particular advantage. Links to what, tho? How to connect a banana plug? Why do you want to use banana plugs? Convenience? Making frequent changes?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I wouldn't spend that much on cables... im in the School of thought that a good copper conductor of sufficient gauge is plenty good enough. Monoprice Choice 12AWG for me! :)

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Some people use it, it's probably overkill tho....regular old 12g speaker wire from Monoprice works great. Canare, Mogami, Belden all make fine stock, too, but at higher prices for no particular advantage. Links to what, tho? How to connect a banana plug? Why do you want to use banana plugs? Convenience? Making frequent changes?
It is pricey but ive run into some left over stock from a friend he made his own for his own system and had about 50 ft left and said I could have it if I wanted to try it all id have in it would be good bananas . well ease of hope up at least for me anyhow iam mainly wanting comparisons on sound quality or tech comparisons before I invest time and effort . and I fuguar a somewhat free upgrade is a good thing . Thank you Sir .

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
If it’s free, go for it.
I don’t believe cables will change the sound quality one bit. Some argue differently. But what your goal is, here, is to provide good conductivity for an electrical signal. That is it. Proper gauge for the distance and impedance of the load (speaker) and a good connection at either end of that conductor.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
This is a favorite article about speaker wire:
Roger Russell worked for McIntosh Labs back in the day. His title may have been something like, Director of Acoustic Research. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Check out Sewell Silverback banana plugs. There's no sound quality advantage to the wire, tho.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Check out Sewell Silverback banana plugs. There's no sound quality advantage to the wire, tho.
We already did this with our friend:
;)

I did put in a mention for them! :D

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
If it’s free, go for it.
I don’t believe cables will change the sound quality one bit. Some argue differently. But what your goal is, here, is to provide good conductivity for an electrical signal. That is it. Proper gauge for the distance and impedance of the load (speaker) and a good connection at either end of that conductor.
kind of what I was thinking too I run monster 12 ga now and I redo the ends every year just to keep everything clean .This is something to tinker with if the present state of shipping things don't get in the way lol my only cost will be the ends and I could reuse the old ones I have too . My easiest run would be the fronts ill play around there Thanks for you input !

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Mark, unless you just want to do had worked cables that also look good, I would not make any, even with free cables, nor experiment with them for sound quality.
Best to spend more time just listening or spend time with family, especially now.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Mark, unless you just want to do had worked cables that also look good, I would not make any, even with free cables, nor experiment with them for sound quality.
Best to spend more time just listening or spend time with family, especially now.
Thanks for your input iam basically like everyone else lol always tinkering with my setup my buddy had several feet left from his project so he offered to let me try it so I thought I would give it a go . he builds nice rca's for sound systems out of canare L-4E6S cable with good quality rca's . I use them in my system they seen to produce a nice clean open soundstage at least to my old ears . So I might try a set for the center channel and see what happens . Got nothing but time it seems for a while you stay safe Sir !

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Wire has nothing to do with soundstage.....which is a function of the recording itself and your speakers/room. Wire is inconsequential in the bigger picture. Good quality stock and connectors and construction are all good things, tho more for durability....

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Perhaps my use of soundstage was remiss . What I mean is as someone who's played with systems since the late 70's and evolved with the tech I've found that better cabling can and does make a difference to my ear . Some cables are trash and measurements prove that . So I as many do try to eliminate the variables for the cleanest reproduction that along with placement, room acoustics, good source material and clean power it all adds up to the soundstage .Thanks for your input !

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Perhaps my use of soundstage was remiss . What I mean is as someone who's played with systems since the late 70's and evolved with the tech I've found that better cabling can and does make a difference to my ear . Some cables are trash and measurements prove that . So I as many do try to eliminate the variables for the cleanest reproduction that along with placement, room acoustics, good source material and clean power it all adds up to the soundstage .Thanks for your input !
Those would have to be some pretty bad cables to have been replaced for it to make a difference....

AVUser001

AVUser001

Full Audioholic
Those would have to be some pretty bad cables to have been replaced for it to make a difference....
probably or something else would have changed at the same time (like Speakers , Room behaviour etc) and people mistakenly attribute the difference(improvement) to Cables!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis