Home Audio Old Schoolers....

W

Winter19281

Audiophyte
We have a Yamaha RX-v659 that we have been using for 7.1 surround....but we want to move that to a movie room...and turn our main level and outdoor speakers to just music/ipod, etc. I need help on a stereo receiver...

Here is the speaker setup: we have 3 sets of ceiling speakers on the main level and two sets of speakers on porch/deck....what would be the best stereo receiver to provide the music only that we are looking for....the speakers are polk atrium 45 and 60's outside and lesser ceiling speakers on the inside....would prefer to get a Yamaha receiver so I could re-use my ipod docking for it......also, I assume would need a speaker selector for the setup also? I would like to 3 to 5 sets of speakers at any one time.Thanks all

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum!

How many pairs of speakers would you like to run at one time with your new receiver?

W

Winter19281

Audiophyte
Good catch, I would like to run 3 to 5 sets at any one time....

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I think that you would want something other than just a stereo receiver if you want to power five pairs of speakers at one time. Hooking those up in parallel to a stereo receiver would likely change the impedance that the receiver experiences to be out of the specs for the receiver.

However, combining a stereo receiver with one or more external amps could achieve that easily.

There are a few people on the forum who have whole-house audio systems, and hopefully they will chime in here. I don't know if any of them are online right now, though.

Phil Taylor

Phil Taylor

Senior Audioholic
You could do what you want with just a stereo receiver - as long as it has all the inputs you need. What you would indeed need is a speaker distribution system that is impedance matching to prevent damage to your amp from mis-matched impedance. There are many speaker selector devices on the market but most require the use of impedance matching volume controls in each room/zone. Here's one of the slickest devices I've seen that would use your existing speaker wiring (guessing you have speaker wiring rather than CAT5 cabling to your speakers) and would not necessarily need a control panel in each room with the optional RF remote kit ---

http://www.atonhome.com/DLA6Room.html

If you have CAT5 wiring to each room you could opt for an A-BUS system which is produced by a variety of manufacturers - just Google "a-bus audio".

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis