jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I know I'm going to buy this CD. I'm a long time lover of Steely Dan/Donald Fagen. I listened awhile ago to some cuts from Kamakiriad and didn't like them much. I recently downloaded a few and...well they're incredible. Just wondering what others think of this album.

H

Hawkeye

Full Audioholic
I have the cd but have yet to pick up the DVD-A. I do like it quite a bit, and feel it stands up fairly well within the Steely Dan collection, (yes, even though its a Fagen cd, I consider it a Steely Dan release). Perhaps what really sold me on it was seeing a good deal of it performed live soon after its release. Anyone with the DVD-A care to comment on the high resolution version? Never checked but did Elliot Schneider do the surround mix on it?

edit - Elliot Scheiner

Last edited:
J

jzac

Audioholic
I've had this cd for a while now. I love it! I haven't heard the DVD-A cut of it though.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Well, basically any Fagen/Steely Dan CD is a reference. Their earlier ones weren't at awesome, but from Katy Lied on, they've had access to (and used) the best equipment they could. That, and the fact that Fagen and Becker are perfectionists, well, you get the idea.

HowY

HowY

Audioholic Intern
Dude?

A MUST HAVE and way better than the new Dan release "for sale"
oops thats "Everything must go"....

If you dont have "Nightfly" get it first much better where Kama
is more bass heavy and "modern" but good none the less.

Found "the early years" yet? it's labeled "Beker/Fagan the early years"
it's real rough but good for their first efforts.

My favorite of late is the Steely Dan Tribute Album it's stellar
Warren Hill - Dave Koz just awesome & I'd pop for it before "kama"

Now as the Dan fan as you claim.....
WHY DONT YOU OWN THEM ALL?!!!!

I've got AJA in REEL - 8track - cassette - vinyl - CD - SACD....
and ALL the others including some boot's in many formats!

Hmmmmm Had hopes for ya! <'Jus Kiddin'!>

GO BUCKS!

Last edited:
HowY

HowY

Audioholic Intern
To add to your prior thread...

They (SD) TOUR now and are obviously into MONETARY GAINS
to pay off the divorces and the "audi tt's" so it's a new focus $$$

Listen to "tracks of wack" Becker and you'll get the
"new" sound as you put it. Everything must go is
indeed disapointing but it's a cash cow for the tour
to follow.

Saw them 3 times once in Cinci (the 4th or 5th show)
from their first foray into the live realm. It was rough
but very good. The other two were well cash cows.

Same sets played to just finish and get off stage.
I like Two Against Nature and as is the case with
ANY SD/Fagan album needs to be played a bit to
find it's niche in your head... less Aja of course
but that album was special much like the Eclipse
tour from floyd (ohhh sorry Dark Side of the Moon)

Both of these albums were well played LIVE (yes SD
did a many a live set on the west coast prior to Aja)
and the arrangements were well feilded and refined
well before hitting the studio.

I strongly believe that is what makes these TWO albums
some of the best work ever produced. The music machine
does not work like this - you first need the album to then
tour so you can start to write and play the "new" stuff
no one wants to hear at the concert. So you can hit the
studio for the next album/tour deal.

It was certainly a "time" that permitted this style of studio work

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Wow, that's awesome. Where on EARTH did you acquire a reel of Aja?! Oh, and believe me, I have a shopping list. The only Fagen/Becker albums I don't own are Countdown to Ecstasy, Can't Buy a Thrill, Pretzel Logic, Kamakiriad, 11 Tracks of Whack, and the Live CD with Fagen at the Soul Revue, or whatever it's called. Yeah, that is a lot, but I plan on getting all but Becker's CD the next time I go on an Amazon shopping spree (soon). Now, I've heard all but the Becker Album and the live Soul Revue. And for the Lack of "Dan-Headedness" or whatever, consider that I'm just a poor college student. I don't have the room for LPs and a turntable. Hell, I just do headphone listening right now (granted, on nice headphones, but still).

Glad to share your sentiment though. I absolutely love Fagen/Becker music. The only reason I hadn't purchased it yet was because the times I had listened to it before, I just couldn't get into it. Same thing with a lot of the albums. I started first with Countdown (introduced to it by my father when I was like..7) and I loved it. I slowly grew to love all of the other albums too. As I mature, my musical tastes do too. Before I just didn't understand how awesome the musical ideas and lyrics were in SD. Okay, nuff' rambling. I have shopping to do :D

HowY

HowY

Audioholic Intern
Save your cabbage with "11 tracks" it's total stinko....

Was just trying to drive the "do it for the bucks" attitude
they have fallen into....

Soul review is a keeper but take the buy on tracks of wack

Seriously I'm just pleased that the duo has found favor with
the college scene even if it's in Michigan (kiddin' Kiddin')

Spent some time in Grouse Point....

But as a Buckeye you State folks are great but Michigan.....!

Sorry that scarlet and grey runs deep in the marrow!

I know it's hard to determine a posters frame of mind
I'm just having fun and it's great to see Becker/Fagan
still has some interest today... Hmmm......

"Pointed my car down seventh avenue"

Cya!

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Indeed it is. I've been a SD fan since I was just a youngin'. Ah those days...the old MGICs, the B&K ST-202 Plus..good times.

About the age thing. Good music is universal and timeless. Bach and Beethoven are still great. Music from the 60s that sucked back then still sucks now (I loathe the 'Oldies' stations). An of course, Steely Dan was awesome in the 70s, and is still awesome today, despite their lackluster latest offerings. They may not be what we want, but they're still lightyears ahead of most pop music.

Oh, and course...

GO BLUE!

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Well, they were considered pop back in the 70s, but they really have their own sound. Jazz theory, but rock style, and...well... Steely Dan.

R

Red

Audioholic
The only Fagen/Becker albums I don't own are Countdown to Ecstasy, Can't Buy a Thrill, Pretzel Logic........

Jaxvon....I am hopefully assuming you have these on CD? These three SD albums were our staples when I was in college, a long long time ago :rolleyes: ALL of the Dan's music remains timeless to me and continues to get regular play.

H

Hawkeye

Full Audioholic
A few years go I picked up a 3 song cd special promo from Kamakiriad. On it is a 5 minute edited version of "Snowbound", a regular length version of the same song, but with only drums, bass and vocals, and a drums, bass, vocals only version of Trans-Island Skyway. Its intersesting to hear stripped-down versions of these songs.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, I have them all on CD (the ones that I didn't mention). Like I said before, I don't have the room and means for vinyl. Right now.

One of my all time FAVORITE SD songs is...My Old School. I absolutely LOVE that song. The horn licks, everything... just plain awesome.

I can't wait till I get those albums though, especially Countdown. It was the first album that I truly loved and played all the time on my Dad's stereo at home.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis