D

DualClutch

Audioholic Intern
I just set up an entry level system, which includes, an Harman Kardon HK3385 stereo receiver, an Onkyo DX-C390 Cd Changer and a pair of Yamaha 6490
3-way bookshelf speakers. The receiver and cd changer finally came today and I was excited to hear it for the first time. I was soon very dissapointed in the lack of bass from the setup. I know this is entry level gear and I am by no means a Basshead, but the sound was so light and thin. Even at -40 db, with the bass turned up, my woofers would not move. Well, they would move, but so slightly that I could only tell by putting my finger on the woofer and feeling a bit of vibration. My brother's $100 Sony receiver with 6" 2 way speakers sounded better. What's going on here?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
How lean is the bass, do they sound damaged? Try your brother's speakers on your receiver if you can.:)

D

DualClutch

Audioholic Intern
Yeah, I tried my brother's speakers and the bass still sounded anemic. The mids and highs sounded fine, but the lows just weren't there.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Out of phase?

Double check your connections to your speakers.
Make sure that their not out of phase.
Plus to plus, etc.
How old are all the speakers you've tested; are the foam surrounds okay?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
We have clarified that it is the receiver that sounds different. The Sony system may be setup to have bloated bass.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
We have clarified that it is the receiver that sounds different. The Sony system may be setup to have bloated bass.
It's possible he's wired both sets of speakers the same; both out of phase.
Just starting out with the simple stuff.:)

D

DualClutch

Audioholic Intern
Seth - Even with the Sony bass turned flat, it still sounds more full and robust than with the HK bass turned up at the same volume level.

Rickster - Yes, the speaker connections are ok (+ to +, - to -) and the speakers are brand new.

Btw, does anyone have any experience buying from JR electronics? This is where I bought the receiver from. Could something be wrong with it?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
This is where I bought the receiver from. Could something be wrong with it?
I suppose it's possible. What is the room you are listening to them like. How far are the speakers from the wall? Does the receiver shut down at high levels of output?

D

DualClutch

Audioholic Intern
Seth - The room is a small bedroom, about 14 x 9 feet, with the speakers placed against the shorter wall. The Speakers are about 10" from the back wall and about 1' from the side wall. No, the receiver does not shut down at high output levels. Does anyone have any experience using this receiver, is this the way it is supposed to sound? I read some reviews that said it had a warm and light sound.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Seth - The room is a small bedroom, about 14 x 9 feet, with the speakers placed against the shorter wall. The Speakers are about 10" from the back wall and about 1' from the side wall. No, the receiver does not shut down at high output levels. Does anyone have any experience using this receiver, is this the way it is supposed to sound? I read some reviews that said it had a warm and light sound.
I know my speakers sound horrible in my room and my room is pretty much like yours. Long wall placement rendered better results for me.

Did you try the Sony receiver and speakers in your bedroom with the same setup.

D

DualClutch

Audioholic Intern
No, I have not tried the full Sony setup in my room as yet, but I will tomorrow to see what differences I hear between the two receivers. Placing the speakers against the long wall in my room would a bit of a challenge, because I have windows on one of the long walls and on the other long wall, I have 2 doors. I called JR (where I bought the receiver from) today, and they are will to do an exchange with me having to pay any kind of restocking fee. I was looking at the AudioSource AMP200 amplifier. Since I will be only connecting 1 device to the amp, I figure this may be a good bet. Also, I have read great reviews for that amp. My question is, with that model, do I need an seperate preamplifier to control the volume, or can I get away with just using my Input Source (Cd player) and the AMP200?

D

DualClutch

Audioholic Intern
Sorry for being a hassle, but I was looking at the JR website, and I also have another option. I was looking at the Onkyo M-282 Amplifier. I know it doesn't have a volume control knob in the front, but I saw that it had an input level switch on the rear panel. With this switch will I be able to use this amp without a preamplifier as well as control the volume without the preamp?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Sorry for being a hassle, but I was looking at the JR website, and I also have another option. I was looking at the Onkyo M-282 Amplifier. I know it doesn't have a volume control knob in the front, but I saw that it had an input level switch on the rear panel. With this switch will I be able to use this amp without a preamplifier as well as control the volume without the preamp?
You could, but I think that the Audiosource would be better fit for that task. You could also try another H/K. Before you do any of that try the Sony system in your room in the same spot.:)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis