HK AVR-635 video up-conversion doesn't work with my Hitachi VCR

J

jetz9335

Audiophyte
I'm not sure if I really have a defected unit, but my Harman Kardon AVR-635 doesn't offer me nice video up-conversion for my Hitachi VCR.

The TV I'm using is Samsung DLP HLR5667W. I connected the VCR through composite cable and what I'm getting is a black screen most of time and from time some time freeze VCR screen appear.

I already wrote a question, but this unit also makes lot of fan noise.

Do you guys think I should exchange this unit?

B

Blundaar

Audioholic
Can you plug something else into the same receiver inputs, say, your DVD player (using your RCA or S-video outputs, configuring it like you would your VCR) and try to replicate the problem? Up-conversion aside, I'm a firm believer that tape is a dead media and should be given a Viking burial.

J

jetz9335

Audiophyte
The other unit works, but the VCR signal doesn't work.

Blundaar said:
Can you plug something else into the same receiver inputs, say, your DVD player (using your RCA or S-video outputs, configuring it like you would your VCR) and try to replicate the problem? Up-conversion aside, I'm a firm believer that tape is a dead media and should be given a Viking burial.
Thank you for reply. As you suggested, I actually tried my Dish network receiver which has composite output. It worked with the device!

For the Hitachi VCR, however, the video tape was fine since I tried connecting directly to the TV and didn't notice any noise in signal. I think somehow either Hitachi VCR has incompatible output signal with the HK AVR-635.

I guess I will probably buy a cheap VCR if I can fix the fan noise problem of this unit.

Anyway is there anyone else whe is experiencing this kind of imcompatibility?

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
My guess is that it is the macrovision copy protection on the vhs tape that is causing the problem. Some receivers offer TBC (Time Base Correction) to overcome that issue. Does the HK manual mention whether or not it does TBC?

D

DTRUTH

Junior Audioholic
I have a 635 as well and the fan is a little noisy, so it may be common to all of them. But noisy is relative to the owner. My volume is typically at a level which prevents me from hearing the fan, so it isn't a concern for me.

R

r8n

Audiophyte
jetz9335 said:
I'm not sure if I really have a defected unit, but my Harman Kardon AVR-635 doesn't offer me nice video up-conversion for my Hitachi VCR.

The TV I'm using is Samsung DLP HLR5667W. I connected the VCR through composite cable and what I'm getting is a black screen most of time and from time some time freeze VCR screen appear.

I already wrote a question, but this unit also makes lot of fan noise.

Do you guys think I should exchange this unit?
I recently got myself a AVR-635. In the manual it says that some syncsignals aren't transferd thru the 635.

I've had a problem with the video-autodetection when I was playing a DVD, the screen went black & white! It's connected via S-video from DVD to S-Video at the TV. When I turned off the "auto"-option the color came back.
It can have something to do with my TV since that's running in PAL-system (I'm from Sweden) and the DVD-disk is a NTSC.
Don't connect more then one type of video-standard to any unit (only one video cable)! My 635 is quiet... Maby this can help you?

John S

John S

Audioholic Intern
I cannot address the video upconversion question yet because I need to re-wire my whole setup to my new HK AVR 7300.

But I can tell you the fan is noisy, and I was warned about that in a recent "Sound and Vision" review of this unit (Nov 2004). But like DTRUTH, my usual volume level is well above that noise level, so I'm not bothered by it. Even at idle this baby gets hot(!) so I'm glad the fan is there, noisy though it may be.

J

jetz9335

Audiophyte
Yes, floor model in the store was quiet.

r8n said:
I recently got myself a AVR-635. In the manual it says that some syncsignals aren't transferd thru the 635.

I've had a problem with the video-autodetection when I was playing a DVD, the screen went black & white! It's connected via S-video from DVD to S-Video at the TV. When I turned off the "auto"-option the color came back.
It can have something to do with my TV since that's running in PAL-system (I'm from Sweden) and the DVD-disk is a NTSC.
Don't connect more then one type of video-standard to any unit (only one video cable)! My 635 is quiet... Maby this can help you?
Thank you for the info. I visited the store and checked their floor model and found that it doesn't even run fan and I also confirmed that one more floor model from Circuit City also doesn't run fan. Mine always does. So I asked them exchange my unit, but unfortunately the store doesn't have AVR-635 available. So I just asked them to back order the unit. Hopefully I should get new one by this Saturday. :(

WndrBr3d

WndrBr3d

Full Audioholic
John S said:
I cannot address the video upconversion question yet because I need to re-wire my whole setup to my new HK AVR 7300.

But I can tell you the fan is noisy, and I was warned about that in a recent "Sound and Vision" review of this unit (Nov 2004). But like DTRUTH, my usual volume level is well above that noise level, so I'm not bothered by it. Even at idle this baby gets hot(!) so I'm glad the fan is there, noisy though it may be.
I've had the AVR7300 now for about four months, and you will not notice the fan if your receiver is inside any AV cabinet.

It's no louder than the fan in my TiVo or HTPC.

John S

John S

Audioholic Intern
WndrBr3d said:
I've had the AVR7300 now for about four months, and you will not notice the fan if your receiver is inside any AV cabinet.

It's no louder than the fan in my TiVo or HTPC.
I agree, the fan is no louder than my LCD-RP, but it is one more little bit of background noise I don't need. The 7300 is way too big to fit in any AV cabinet in my forseeable future. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis