HK AVR 230 or Onkyo TXSR601

K

Kyotech

Enthusiast
Hey gang, first time poster and new member. I'm looking to replace my Sherwood Newcastle 925 with one of the above.
I'm running an Energy TAKE5+1 all the way around with a 12in B&W powered sub.

I have read comments about both and I think the Onkyo is just a bit better with a better feature set. I love the HK 230 simple, clean and beautiful looks. One question, can I rename any of the inputs to a differant name? The Onkyo seems to score higher in user comments on the Circuit City site and other review sites.

Price for the H/K right now at Goodguys is $419.85 with free shipping and the Onkyo is around $475 at CC.

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
I've researched and listened to both pieces of equipment (family actually owns AVR 225). You are correct in stating that the Onkyo has a better feature set. In my opinion, the Onkyo is better suited for home theater. However, I think that the HK is a superior music receiver. It sounds more welcoming and musical (and warmer). I think it also has equivalent to better power reserves.

If you're going to do lots of movies and flexibility is important to you, go Onkyo. If you're big on music, my advice would be HK. However, you should hear it with your speakers and pick from your tastes.

A quick tip-I heard the AVR230 is identical to the 225 with a new face. If you like the 225's looks, you may want to search for that on discount.

K

Kyotech

Enthusiast
Thanks nm2285 for the input. I'm leaning towards the HK, the Onkyo is just to busy on the panel and and to me it looks like the display should be twice as big. I know it's not how it looks but rather how it performs is what is important, but when it's the center piece of your setup it should look good to your liking. The looks of the HK are just awesome in my opinion. I think the HK will due just fine at that price.

One thing I dissapointed is that only the higher end A/V receivers let you label the inputs to your liking.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis