Hiss from Denon 3805 receiver/Definitive Mythos I speakers

R

rheostat

Audiophyte
I can hear a hissing sound coming from my speakers when I play cds at moderately high volumes. I know that there is *some* hiss on all cds, but what I am hearing seems excessive. Additionally, when I pause a cd, the speakers are silent. I am using a Denon 3805 receiver; Definitive Mythos speakers (Mythos 1 fronts); and an inexpensive Pioneer DVD/SACD/DVD-Audio player.

Is this (1) something I just need to live with b/c CDs suck; (2) a problem that some cds have, but others should be fine (I have not had time to do much experimenting; (3) a problem with the signal/noise ratio on my DVD player (which I am using to play cds); or (4) a problem with my receiver’s processing?

I originally heard the problem with an old cd (The Doors - self titled). I tried experimenting with a more recent cd, (AFI - Sing the Sorrow), and it *may* have sounded better. I also tried using the direct/pure direct settings on the receiver. It was, however, hard to do any real testing at the time (b/c my 5-month old needed to go to sleep). I originally assumed that the silence I observe when a cd is paused means the problem is the source (cd), not the DVD player or receiver. However, it appears that the Denon 3805 kills the signal to the speakers when no input is detected so my conclusion is not necessarily valid.

I intend to do more troubleshooting, but any suggestions or explanations would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis