J

jhanley

Junior Audioholic
Hippos is a high end audio/video store located in Albany N.Y.
They have been there a long time and though not cheap they are highly regarded. I've not purchased any audio equipment, but I did buy a television and was quite pleased with the service. I've visited them and always found the staff to be very helpful and knowledgeable.

JeffD2.

JeffD2.

Audioholic
jhanley said:
Hippos is a high end audio/video store located in Albany N.Y.
They have been there a long time and though not cheap they are highly regarded. I've not purchased any audio equipment, but I did buy a television and was quite pleased with the service. I've visited them and always found the staff to be very helpful and knowledgeable.
Knowledgable? You wouldn't know it by the sales flier appearing in local papers recently.

1) They show a man watching what looks to be a 42" wall mounted plasma from 20 FEET away. Last time I checked, recommended viewing distance was roughly 2.5X diagonal measure of the screen.

2) Just look at the speaker placement in some of the photos. The L/R mains are about 4-5 feet apart. Not a very good soundstage or imaging.

3) Don't get me started on their TV commercial....

You could dismiss my above comments if their target audience was people who just had too much money to spend and nothing to spend it on. But at the same time they are discrediting themselves with audio/videophiles that built their business.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis