High school runner does 100 meters in 9.98 seconds

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
It's been a very long time since an American has done well in Track & Field.

A high school senior named Matthew Boling, from Houston, TX ran 100 meters in 9.98 seconds. He'll run at the University of Georgia next year. I wonder if he also runs the 200?

See the video, Boling is in lane 4.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Judging by that one brief video, his sprint form & technique looks very good for a high school kid. He must be well coached. Most good high school sprinters rely only on natural speed, and don't put much work into it. I hope he doesn't run into a college coach who insists that he abandon all his techniques.

His time qualifies him for the US Olympic trials. At time of 9.98 won't win many races at the international level, but for an 18 year old runner, it is noteworthy.

For obvious reasons, people seem to want to avoid the topic that he is one of the few Caucasian sprinters anywhere who look that good. Three others come to mind:

Armin Hary, a German sprinter who won the Olympic 100 meters in 1960. He was the first non-American to win the event since Percy Williams of Canada took the gold medal in 1928, the first man to run 100 meters in 10.0 seconds, and the last white man to establish a world record in 100 meters.

Valeriy Borzov, a Ukrainian sprinter who competed for the Soviet Union. In 1972 he won both the 100 and 200 meters at the Olympic Games in Munich.

Pietro Mennea was an Italian sprinter, most successful in the 200 meters. He set a world record at 19.72 seconds in September 1979, and he won a gold medal at the 1980 Moscow Olympics. His world record stood for almost 17 years – the longest duration in the event history – and is still listed as the European record.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
More info about Matthew Boling from today's Washington Post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/05/01/texas-teen-runs-meters-seconds-beating-fastest-high-school-time-history/?utm_term=.f85afd1990bc

By Samantha Pell
May 1 at 3:24 PM

When Matthew Boling flew off the starting block last weekend, his coach could tell his 100-meter dash time would be fast. He just didn’t know how fast.

In Boling’s first year running the 100 meters, the senior out of Houston Strake Jesuit clocked the fastest open 100 meter time in high school history Saturday, at 9.98 seconds. In a video that has since gone viral, Boling’s electrifying run stunned crowds at his school’s regional track and field meet in Webster, Texas, as Boling was full strides ahead of his challengers when he crossed the finish line.

“When I saw his start and when he begin to elevate his hips and his foot strike and the way he began to pull away, I was surprised it was under 10 [seconds], but I wasn’t that surprised,” said Strake Jesuit coach Chad Collier. “The one thing about Matthew is … the bigger the stage, the bigger the performance, and that is just the type of young man he is.”

He was the first American high school student to break the 10-second mark in six years, but his time will not be an official national record since it was aided by a wind that measured 4.2 miles per hour. The next-closest time of any of his opponents Saturday was 10.27 seconds.

Boling, who some are calling the best prep track and field athlete in the country, will be competing for the University of Georgia next year. He was also a part of Team USA’s U-20 contingent that competed in the IAAF U20 World Championships last summer in Finland.

“He’s the most talented … obviously very, very special,” Collier said. “I’m very proud and blessed to have coached him and have been a part of his success. He is just an outstanding young man outside of this. A great teammate, he’s a tremendous leader and incredible work ethic.”

The 18-year-old has continued to break his own personal records in multiple events this season. As a junior, he was a state champion in the long jump and finished second in state in the 400 meters after being out-leaned at the finish line. Collier said Boling used the second-place finish as a motivation to become a state champion in the 400 meters this year.

However, when Collier and the other Strake Jesuit coaches decided to put Boling in the 100 meters at the start of the season, they realized his aptitude for the event. At the Texas state championships next weekend, Boling will not be competing for first-place in the 400 meters. Instead, he’ll be competing in the 100 meters, in addition to the long jump, and running as part of the school’s 4x100-meter and 4x400-meter relay teams.

“One thing we don’t try to do is compete for records,” Collier said. “If it happens organically then great, but certainly our goal is for him to win a state championship in individual events and obvious for our team to win a state championship as a team. If we happen to break a record along the way, that’s just a bonus.” After the state championships, Boling will have the chance to compete in national events, but Collier said as of now, they are focused on states.

In addition to his record-setting 100-meter dash on Saturday, Boling contributed three other first-place finishes during the regional track meet, winning the long jump (25 feet, 2 inches) and as the anchor leg of the 4x100-meter (40.72 seconds) and 4x400-meter (3 minutes, 13.7 seconds) relay teams. His school also ended up winning its second straight team Class 6A Region III title.

According to Milesplit, Boling’s time is the fastest in any conditions by a prep athlete since Trayvon Bromell (Fla.) posted a wind-aided 9.99 in 2013, on a plus-4.0 mph wind. Bromwell was the first high school athlete to ever break the 10-second mark in the 100 meters. The official national high school record at 100 meters is 10 seconds flat, and was last achieved by Trentavis Friday (N.C.) in 2014 at the USA Junior Track and Field Championships.

Four-time Olympic medalist Ato Boldon, who at one point in his career held the national 100-meter record at 9.86 seconds, chimed in on Boling’s accomplishment on Twitter.

“As a sub-ten guy, I’ll say this: sometimes you have to run a wind-aided first, before you can run it with legal wind … he has a very good shot to be the first wind-legal sub-ten high school performer,” Boldon tweeted.

Boling has been running track since middle school, and has earned a reputation in the high school track community. He told a local Houston television station, KHOU, in March that some people call him the “boogeyman” or the “horseman.”

“When I realized how talented he was, I did everything in my power to continue to learn the sprints and jumps and make sure that I had the tools necessary to help him reach his goals,” Collier said. “I certainly didn’t want to let him down, and that is the type of young man he is that can bring the best out of everybody.”

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
To be so young, I can remember when I was in Band, Football and Track back in school 45 years ago. Now, I'm lucky to be able to get up and down the stairs without falling. :(

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
To be so young, I can remember when I was in Band, Football and Track back in school 45 years ago. Now, I'm lucky to be able to get up and down the stairs without falling. :(
I ran Track & Cross Country back in high school. I graduated in1966, 8 years before you.

Getting old ain't for sissies – but we can't complain because it beats the alternative ;).

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
I ran Track & Cross Country back in high school. I graduated in1966, 8 years before you.

Getting old ain't for sissies – but we can't complain because it beats the alternative ;).
Swerd, you got 10 years on me Sir. But yeah getting old surely isn't for sissies..lol..;)

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Matthew Boling set a US national high school record in the Texas state high school championships, running 10.13 in the 100 meters. This time it was not wind aided.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/05/12/texas-teen-sets-national-record-m-although-it-wasnt/?utm_term=.9474e26e4eae

He also won the long jump title, with a leap of 25 feet, 4½ inches. For good measure, he ran the anchor leg of the 4×400 meter relay in 44.75, making up a 10 meter deficit as Strake Jesuit (2nd place at hand off, wearing green) won in his last race as a high school runner. See his awesome anchor leg of that relay in this video.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis