High quality supplies -Y cable for Bi-amping?

B

boe

Audioholic
Hello,

I am getting a 5 channel amp that I will use to bi-amp my speakers (VR4s). I'll use the remaining channel for the center. I'd like to make sure I'm doing this properly as I'm new to bi-amping.

Apparenly I need to get a Y splitter to go from my preamp to my amp so that I can use two channels for each of the front speakers. I want to make sure I'm using a quality splitter so I don't degrade something in an attempt to improve it. I checked out Monster and Audioquest cables because they are the most common but didn't find anything on bluejean's site (I really like their stuff) either about splitters for this purpose.

Can anyone help out a newbie a little further.

Thanks

OttoMatic

OttoMatic

Senior Audioholic
Hi boe,

You should be able to pick up something like that at RadioShack for about $5. I would go for their "nicer" model, whatever it may be. I personally doubt that you will notice any difference between them and Monster/Audioquest, except for price.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Acoustic Research has fairly inexpensive y-adapters that would perform just as any other would as well as Belkin PureAV. All that said, y-adapters from most manufacturers aren't that expensive, even one for AudioTrap (quest sorry) should be relatively unexpensive. I think I got two from AudioQuest for under $20 after tax.

B

boe

Audioholic
Thanks - I've gotten a few responses from some major players saying I should go crossover in between but again, I don't know anything about crossover equipment.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks - I've gotten a few responses from some major players saying I should go crossover in between but again, I don't know anything about crossover equipment.
Active x-overs are better, but I still don't exactly understand how you would go about setting one up. It probably requires some testing gear (computer software with a microphone at the very least (I don't think a SPL meter with test tones would be very accurate).

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Well, bi-amping is not an easy task to execute properly.
If you use a crossover before the two amps to the speakers, then you need to bypass the internal passive crossovers. So, you are up to your elbows.
If you will just use two amps with a Y splitter, one has to question what you are trying to accomplish. Do those speakers present a difficult load to an amp?

OttoMatic

OttoMatic

Senior Audioholic
Well, bi-amping is not an easy task to execute properly.
Sure, passive bi-amping is, and that's what he's asking about.

I don't get why you guys want to continue to push people to NOT passively bi-amp. Whether or not you hear a difference is irrelevant. Let people experiment in peace!

If you will just use two amps with a Y splitter, one has to question what you are trying to accomplish.
He's trying to passively bi-amp.

Do those speakers present a difficult load to an amp?
Who cares? He asked how to buy a cable. He didn't ask for opinions -- positive, negative, veiled or otherwise -- about the efficacy of biamping.

OttoMatic

OttoMatic

Senior Audioholic

There are two ways to bi-amp: passively and actively. Your question of using a splitter to drive four channels of a five-channel amp is related to passive bi-amping.

As you've probably found out, there are rather two camps. Those who are for it and those who are adamantly against it, offering all kinds of snide comments. Well, I guess there's another camp as well -- those of us that suggest you try different things and decide on your own what works for you. Please PM me if you want my take on it, as I don't want to get into another argument on this forum about what is or what is not bi-amping.

I wish you the best of luck either way!

B

boe

Audioholic
Thanks for the responses. I decided to contact the maker of the speakers and see what he recommends.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

offering all kinds of snide comments. !
Oh, really? Where? Perhaps your sensitivity to comments are skewed?
Or, no one should ask questions of the poster, just agree and march forward? Is that you style? There are other styles. Too bad. Live with it as the other styles will no be going away anytime soon.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Thanks for the responses. I decided to contact the maker of the speakers and see what he recommends.
Yes, that is a good start. Perhaps they have recommendations one way or another and which way to proceed afterwards and may have other recommendations.

B

boe

Audioholic
I got info back from the speaker maker - apparently the crossover stuff is in the speaker so all I need is a quality y splitter between my amp and preamp.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
All speakers have passive crossovers in them.

Are you sure you want to be doing what you're trying to do?

S

sjsmithjr

Audioholic Intern
Follow the link posted by Zumbo or go to RS, but whatever you do, go forth and biamp; if you like it, keep it. Just don't try to quantify it because you can't.

-Sam

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Follow the link posted by Zumbo or go to RS, but whatever you do, go forth and biamp; if you like it, keep it. Just don't try to quantify it because you can't.

-Sam
RS cables suck. It's just the way it is.:eek:

IXOS, Tributaries, AR, or Monster would be my choice. BJC would be first, but I didn't see any.

OttoMatic

OttoMatic

Senior Audioholic
RS cables suck. It's just the way it is.:eek:
Please elaborate. Measurements? Failed cables? Other?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not in love with them one way or another. I've found them to be functional in the past.

Thanks!

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Please elaborate. Measurements? Failed cables? Other?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not in love with them one way or another. I've found them to be functional in the past.

Thanks!
Had to log out to see your post.:D

It's the connector. They use a cheap slotted design that will loose it's grip. They can put gold on them, but they are still crap.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2104066&cp=2032058.2032231.2032280&pg=1&allCount=314&fbn=Brand/RadioShack&f=Brand/1000094/&fbc=1&parentPage=family

I have never actually pulled the cable apart to see the connection of the cable to the connector. I figure if they are using such a POS connector, they probably don't care too much about how the cable is connected to it.

Last edited:
S

sjsmithjr

Audioholic Intern
I wouldn't disagree with your observations Zumbo on the elCheapos, but RS does sell a decent Y for about $10 a pop that is equivilent to the $5 AR you posted. At least they used to. Anyhow, by the time you add $8 for shipping you might as well buy local from RS or or go to any other local merchant that stocks decent cables.

Just trying to encourage the OP to give it a go.

-Sam

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis