High Quality Classical Recordings

Z

zz6549

Audiophyte
Chesky records looks interesting. Anyone know if they are sold through local distributors(HVM,Sunrise, etc)?

majorloser

majorloser

I own a few Telarc CD's. Mostly Bach on pipe organ. Stuff that makes even the best subwoofers cringe in fear.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
not likely

Chesky records looks interesting. Anyone know if they are sold through local distributors(HVM,Sunrise, etc)?
you most likely will find them at the more esoteric software houses like Music Direct or Acoustic Sounds.

Or, you could always google "Chesky" and see what pops up.

Did you search their site for dealers?

krabapple

krabapple

Banned
Ah, thank you.

I do have a Naxos version, and it's not terrible, but nor is it extraordinarily clear.
Neither is an actual concert. The sort of pinpoint imaging and 'clarity' and 'sharpness' that recordings provide is not particularly natural.

P

Pat D

Audioholic
I have lots of classical recordings which sound great, both analog originals and DDD recordings. Polygram recordings are generally pretty good (like London, Decca, Philips, and DG). I have lots of good recordings by Telarc, Denon, Nimbus, Chandos, Chesky, Delos, Naxos, RCA, and others.

I don't find crystal clear in live performances, so I don't look for it in recordings, but often look for a nice ambience.

Electronic music is often crystal clear, such as a lot of Wendy Carlos's Switched-On Bach recordings.

You might find the London recordings by Charles Dutoit and the Montreal Symphony to be generally clear, notably their Debussy, Ravel, and Respighi recordings.

Some of the older Naxos recordings are not particularly good, but I think that from the early '90s they have generally been very good and they keep getting better. Smetana's Ma Vlast with Antoni Wit is excellent, for example, as are the Bruckner symphonies with Georg Tintner.

There are a number of ways of finding good recordings. Your local library may have some classical recordings which you can borrow.

Other than that, you can read the reviewers. I like the Penguin Guides as well as anything but there are a number of other guides which some like.

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
Found a link to this thread in the, "Are you an Audiophile" thread, posted by @lovinthehd .

As it is 10 years old it might need some updating.

IMHO, 4 brilliant labels are

Pentatone
Challange
Deutsche Harmonia Mundi
Alia Vox

As too specific recordings, I was asked on one of those godawful audiphool sites just the other day for a recommendation. My reply was that all the recording are extremely good, so really, just pick something where the program appeals to you. Source something released recently as technology only gets better each year.

Thanks to my fellow none audiophool brother for unearthing this thread. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis