High fidelity subwoofer

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
I’m wondering what it takes for a high quality DIY subwoofer that also achieves high SPL. I don’t like my PB1000 matched with my Special 40’s, SVS and REL subwoofer matching tool both go straight to their top tier reference Subs. I see lots of high SPL kits but do they also achieve high quality bass? I’m of the opinion that sealed, ported, 1/4 wave TL or open baffle can all achieve both, it comes down to driver choice matched with the correct amp and a very well designed enclosure.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I feel there is some misleading information here. This guy talks about the decay of a 12" as being slow. That just isn't the case. This is more audiophile gibberish. A larger cone will have more moving mass, but what makes it slow is the relation of the moving mass to the motor force (Bl^2/Re as a T/S formula). You can measure this, even though he frames it as some kind of intangible audiophile quality. Just look at group delay measurements.

But I don't even agree with his characterization of slow. For most people, it's going to be a matter of frequency response. He talks about a system being flat to the low 20s with a bunch of 6" drivers. A 6" driver would need to be extremely heavy to be flat to the 20s, or have very loose suspension combined with weak motor force. Or else he either had some kind of ported system or he EQ'd it to be flat to the 20s. The problem with that is both porting and equalization can add a lot of group delay.

I could go on with all the problems in this video, but I don't have time right now. Maybe later. Don't trust a word this guy says. NOTHING he is saying is backed up by any kind of research. It's all audiophile hot air.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
All I had to do was see the title "Fast Bass" and figured it wasn't worth spending time on but thanks shadyj for confirming it in detail :)

ps Plenty of good diy sub designs out there that will do great.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I’m wondering what it takes for a high quality DIY subwoofer that also achieves high SPL. I don’t like my PB1000 matched with my Special 40’s, SVS and REL subwoofer matching tool both go straight to their top tier reference Subs. I see lots of high SPL kits but do they also achieve high quality bass? I’m of the opinion that sealed, ported, 1/4 wave TL or open baffle can all achieve both, it comes down to driver choice matched with the correct amp and a very well designed enclosure.

Have fun.

https://shop.gsgad.com/

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah Marty’s are a great option.
I had to laugh at this pic. My mind immediately saw the thread title...
“Trouble with dialog” hey guys, first list here...lmaO!!!!
Wow. Who is fine with giant subs that dominate a room, but decides to go with in-wall center that small?

At least my in-wall center is a full size in-wall tower that matches the LR speakers. Then, I can have the room dominating subs and still have good dialog. Yay.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Wow. Who is fine with giant subs that dominate a room, but decides to go with in-wall center that small?

At least my in-wall center is a full size in-wall tower that matches the LR speakers. Then, I can have the room dominating subs and still have good dialog. Yay.
Right?!?!
Reminds me of the old days. My friend owns two car audio shops. Waaaaaay back when, kids(we were too lol) would come in and say. (Dopey kid voice)“Hey, how much for a pair of 12’s”. NEVER talk about the doors, or pods or tweeters or rear deck or anything lmao. That’s not totally true, but more often than not. Lol

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Right?!?!
Reminds me of the old days. My friend owns two car audio shops. Waaaaaay back when, kids(we were too lol) would come in and say. (Dopey kid voice)“Hey, how much for a pair of 12’s”. NEVER talk about the doors, or pods or tweeters or rear deck or anything lmao. That’s not totally true, but more often than not. Lol
Yep. All anyone ever upgraded was subs. Never sounded good. Always had to integrate an amp into a stock stereo with stock speakers. They usually blew the speakers not too long after.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
That's funny. I worked in a body shop for years. I remember cars that had loose handles and lock cylinders because the kids insisted on filling the back of the car up with subs and bouncing the damn things as hard as they could. They thought it sounded good from inside the car, but all anybody heard from afar was the world's biggest pocket of change being jingled.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
That's funny. I worked in a body shop for years. I remember cars that had loose handles and lock cylinders because the kids insisted on filling the back of the car up with subs and bouncing the damn things as hard as they could. They thought it sounded good from inside the car, but all anybody heard from afar was the world's biggest pocket of change being jingled.
Nothing beats the dude I went to highschool with that regularly had the hatch of his car fly open because it rattled so hard. It was so loud you couldn't even hear any bass much less actual music. Hilarious

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
So I’m not sure why, but I watched the video. Imo lots of convoluted BS. Not ALL, but lots. Did you guys know that servo subs “literally hit the brakes electronically”. Yep, he said that. I love Rythmik subwoofers but thank god this guy isn’t their spokesman.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
So I’m not sure why, but I watched the video. Imo lots of convoluted BS. Not ALL, but lots. Did you guys know that servo subs “literally hit the brakes electronically”. Yep, he said that. I love Rythmik subwoofers but thank god this guy isn’t their spokesman.
I’ve sometimes wondered if push pull amplifiers are in some way referencing that, somehow I doubt it.

I did like what he said about fast speakers, we call those tweeters and an array of small bass drivers can produce high SPL low frequency bass that would sound “fast” or be very articulate. I do know large subwoofers close together will operate as a single sub but as the frequency rises it becomes narrower and the two subs separate.

A large correctly designed and ported box is probably the way to go without overthinking it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis