high end soundbars are awesome dont listen to the avr fan boys

squaleca

squaleca

Enthusiast
they just need to justify the cost they spent on their systems
are soundbars going to sound as good as a $5,000 system no but high end soundbars sound just as good as mid range if not better than some avr's

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's not the avr that has the sound characteristics, it's the speakers....and the usual pathetic speakers in a soundbar are more a limitation than its electronics....

squaleca

squaleca

Enthusiast
well your ignorance when in stating the pathetic speakers is ignorance listen to the high end sb from Samsung
sono's bose niakamich and the only conlusion is that your statement is pure ignorance. unless frequency response charts are a lie.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
well your ignorance when in stating the pathetic speakers is ignorance listen to the high end sb from Samsung
sono's bose niakamich and the only conlusion is that your statement is pure ignorance. unless frequency response charts are a lie.
LOL have it your way but if a speaker from Samsung (outside of the Harman division) is impressive I'd be very surprised. Frequency response charts can tell just a part of a story....

squaleca

squaleca

Enthusiast
outside of the Harman division?
ahh yea comment on something you havent and heared and make assumptions you know the old saying assuming makes and #$#$ out of you and me

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
ahh yea comment on something you havent and heared and make assumptions you know the old saying assuming makes and #$#$ out of you and me
The physics of sound and its reproduction is obviously something that has passed you by. Sound bars are just an improvement over TV sound, and I don't deny as significant improvement. However this site is devoted to what the late Peter Walker, of Quad Electroacoustics, called "The Closest Approach to the Original Sound." That was the focus of his life's work, as it has been a good deal of mine. A sound bar is NOT a Close Approach.

witchdoctor

witchdoctor

Full Audioholic
they just need to justify the cost they spent on their systems
are soundbars going to sound as good as a $5,000 system no but high end soundbars sound just as good as mid range if not better than some avr's
There is a market for people that want "better than the TV" sound and if you live in an apt with thin walls you may not have any other alternatives.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Haha. Nope. You’re the a$$ here.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Soundbars are small to meet the target audience. If you want better sound, you need better and generally larger drivers, which means larger cabinets, which means it no longer meets that size requirement. So they keep them small - a compromise. Smaller drivers to keep them small - a compromise. Power handling is then compromised. Bass is compromised and even when you get an external sub, it is going to cover the lower mid region not the bottom octave. If every aspect is a compromise, how can you expect it to compete with an actual, even modest, system? We aren't talking $5000, we are talking $1000 in speakers (AVR excluded in both cases, since you would need it for both) will be competitive with the best soundbars period.

Samsung buying them is likely the downfall of Harman, and if Samsung is your comparison basis, let's just say you have a lot to learn.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Soundbars are small to meet the target audience. If you want better sound, you need better and generally larger drivers, which means larger cabinets, which means it no longer meets that size requirement. So they keep them small - a compromise. Smaller drivers to keep them small - a compromise. Power handling is then compromised. Bass is compromised and even when you get an external sub, it is going to cover the lower mid region not the bottom octave. If every aspect is a compromise, how can you expect it to compete with an actual, even modest, system? We aren't talking $5000, we are talking $1000 in speakers (AVR excluded in both cases, since you would need it for both) will be competitive with the best soundbars period.

Samsung buying them is likely the downfall of Harman, and if Samsung is your comparison basis, let's just say you have a lot to learn.
Haha!
Soundbar=participation medal.

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
here is my take on soundbars i have a home theater but up in my loft where my tv is i use a.expensive soundbar only because in a loft their isnt enough room for tons of speakers and recievers and i can't stand the audio from the newer tv's. but you cannot replace a dedicated home theater with a sound bar its not the same

W

Wardog555

Full Audioholic
Is this a joke? If soundbars deliver the same experience as av receiver with speakers and a subwoofer. I'd be using one today. That shows how incapable these systems are.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Is this a joke? If soundbars deliver the same experience as av receiver with speakers and a subwoofer. I'd be using one today. That shows how incapable these systems are.
No. Pretty sure he just came here looking for a fight. Also pretty sure he got the boot.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
You do know that Samsung bought Harman International, right?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Is it possible to squelch this troll if he hasn't left yet?
I have 3 AVR based systems and 2 soundbar systems and it would be unfair to compare the soundbar to the AVR systems. Soundbars have their purpose and are infintely better than a display's own speakers but thats where it stops.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Is it possible to squelch this troll if he hasn't left yet?
I have 3 AVR based systems and 2 soundbar systems and it would be unfair to compare the soundbar to the AVR systems. Soundbars have their purpose and are infintely better than a display's own speakers but thats where it stops.
Well he hasn't been back for a bit over 3 weeks....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis