Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
It's time for my noob question of the week. (I think I've had a much too sheltered a/v life.)

I have a couple of internet friends, who do not participate in this forum. But they have plenty of cash and a fondness for really good audio. One just sold a used Linn Genki HDCD CD deck for $750! Used! (And he feels it's worth much more! :eek: ) Another friend has a collection of Wilson speakers...mebbe $75,000 worth for his HT setup!

Now I realize these collectors/music listeners are rare...mostly because of the wealth required...but are these pieces of equipment REALLY worth that kind of dough??!! Has anyone heard these units and would gladly part with that kind of money...rather than say...buy a recent vintage Ferrari?

Last edited:
jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
For some people, it IS worth that kind of money. And usually when people have that kind of cash to drop on a stereo, then they have enough cash to buy other toys as well. Talk to Sleestack, I know he has at least $40k invested in his 2ch system alone.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
jaxvon said:
For some people, it IS worth that kind of money. And usually when people have that kind of cash to drop on a stereo, then they have enough cash to buy other toys as well. Talk to Sleestack, I know he has at least $40k invested in his 2ch system alone.
The funny thing is, the one that I know about the most, drives a 5 year old VW Passat (with big bucks tied up in its sound system, natch).

Sleestack....talk to us.

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
Depends on how one defines "worth". If one values audio gear primarily as status items, then yes. If the enjoyment of accurately reproduced music is the main criterion, then no.

Specifically, I have it on the authority of knowledgable people I trust that there is nothing in a megabuck Wilson speaker -- not the drivers, not the cabinetry, not the engineering -- worth even a fraction of its retail price even at the customary markup.

For that kind of cash, I'll take the Ferrari!

Last edited:
B

BostonMark

Audioholic
Don't forget, everyone you meet online, some internet friends may be prone to exaggerate a bit. While online last week in the cabin of my Gulfstream V, a person in chat said that his Gulfstream V had Wilsons in it with Crown mono amps. I knew he was lying, because the Wilsons won't fit in the cabin of a Gulfstream. On the other hand, if they really do have that kind of money, make better friends with them, especially during the holidays and your birthday!

M

miklorsmith

Full Audioholic
I just picked up Zu Definitions, $9k and worth every penny. 4 powered 10" drivers per side, 2 passive 10"s and 1 supertweeter per side. My 6-watt amp allows them to play effortlessly to obscene volumes but they communicate music better at listenable volumes than anything I've heard.

Everyone says this of their favorite gear, I know, but this is the high-efficiency ideal realized. I haven't heard the Wilsons or any other really expensive speakers either.

But, there is a difference spending dough. It isn't small. Is it worth the money? To me, without question.

For what they provide, I feel these are excellent value.

FWIW, the rest of my system is: 15-year-old Technics CDP as transport, Red Wine Audio battery-powered non-oversampling DAC, Modwright SWL 9.0SE tubed preamp, Red Wine Audio Clari-T battery powered amp.

All the electronics combined would retail for about $3,700. Aside from the Modwright, it's downright ugly. I've got it all sitting in ill-fitted shelves I built. This is not a jeweled showcase. Oh brother does it make music though.

I've said it before - musical conviction relies as much or more on dynamic capabilities than frequency response. Go forth and listen to high-efficiency gear, people. You may decide you don't like it but then you Know. Assuming is just a darned shame because you don't know what you're missing.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
miklorsmith said:
Go forth and listen to high-efficiency gear, people. You may decide you don't like it but then you Know. Assuming is just a darned shame because you don't know what you're missing.
Ah, but there's a corollary to your paradigm. I recently discovered Aerial Acoustics speakers (7B's) at $10,500/pair. Now I know those are the speakers for me....and they are forever beyond my grasp. I shall forever know that the speakers humming inefficiently away in my home are less than adequate. Talk about impotency. ;)

M

miklorsmith

Full Audioholic
You don't need to spend huge dough to get good, efficient speaks. The Druids I had prior do all the important stuff right, at 1/3 the price.

And, Omega makes excellent, efficient speaks starting at around $500. These will redefine what you expect from hi-fi.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Eh, If I won $10,000,000 with the NYS Lottery today I still wouldn't touch a 'vintage' Ferrari with a 10' pole. And I wouldn't have $75,000 speakers either (I Think @$10K is the most I could conceive of spending on a stereo).

We all have our priorities. And as long as your priorities don't involve having intercourse with children or running puppies through a wood chipper I don't really care is you spend your millions on old Deusenbergs (ie. what Ferrari owners wish they could afford to collect). :p

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
"Worth" is a relative term. You know what is said about one man's junk being another man's treasure. People ask me all the time when I'm out in my old Chevy how much it's worth. I tell them whatever someone is willing to pay for it. Not all good speakers cost a fortune, just like not all expensive speakers sound good. Speakers are extremely subjective. You like what you like.
Most people have one or two things they will spend a lot of money on, but will skimp everywhere else. This is the way they can afford to splurge on what they like. I thought people that spent 15 g's on a motorcycle were crazy. Now I own one. I still think it's expensive. Might have to sell it to buy more A/V stuff. Only bad thing is, 5 yrs after I bought the Harley, it's still worth more than what I paid for it. None of the A/V stuff I have bought I can say that about. Biscuits. At least I can enjoy the A/V when it's 28 degrees out with 5 inches of snow on the ground and the wind is blowing 30 mph. Brrrrrrr. Old man winter is coming!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis