High Def, whats tempting you?

• Thread starter Rock&Roll Ninja
  • Start date
Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Now that HD-DVD is on the shelf, and Blu*Ray is coming next month, what title(s) is/are tempting you to part with your hard-earned cash? Or if you already own a player, what was the title that made you say "yes, I must own it!". (D-VHS owners: feel free to post your opinions).

NOTE: I don't own a HD player yet. I'm waiting on a few things: AVR with TrueHD decoding (part of the reason I want HD-DVD), and a HD monitor/projector. I'm torn betwixt the 34" CRT, a 720 flat-panel, or a 720P projecor (a 1080P model will be out of my budget for awhile).

HD-DVD
There are no HD-DVD titles out yet that I really want to buy. Mostly because they're all titles I've already seen on DVD. I'll be better swayed when all HD-DVD titles are day&date with DVD. Now there are a few announced titles I do plan on spending the cash to own (everything else I'll just rent. I learned my lesson with DVD).

*Conan The Barbarian
*The Matrix trilogy
*Harry Potter series (the wife wants these, I'm not a big fan)
*12 Monkeys

Blu*Ray Disk (these are all announced titles of course, none yet on sale).

*Robocop

But of course I am holding out for 1080P transfers (which will matter when I buy a 1080P projector in the future), and Dolby TrueHD soundtracks, DTS-HD will also be good, assuming it ever gets implemented. So far we've seen "new" movies on HD, so I'm waiting to see what the new HD transfers will look like on older films (I'm very intrested in Robocop, which has looked less-than-good on every DVD). Robocop is also in the air, depending if they're using the R-cut or the X-cut.

What really intrests me are more TV shows in HD: Firefly in patricular. (not yet announced).

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Rock&Roll Ninja said:
(I'm very intrested in Robocop, which has looked less-than-good on every DVD). Robocop is also in the air, depending if they're using the R-cut or the X-cut.
I think the problem with movies like Robocop is that the effects back then just weren't that great to begin with compared to what is being done now. I really wouldn't expect it to look much better than just upconverting it off the current disc. But, what do I know...

:rolleyes:

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
I can't wait to see Pixar films in 1080p. How about NFL and college football? If that ever happens, they'll sell a lot of new sets.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Jack Hammer said:
I think the problem with movies like Robocop is that the effects back then just weren't that great to begin with compared to what is being done now.
In many ways the practical effects were better than todays CGI effects. Bloodsplatter, chunks o' meat, dust, muzzle flash, and "sparks" (like when a bullet hits a wall or something) are already captured on film. A better film restoration will make these effects look better. Also in the "better effects" catergory are stunt men. real people on fire will always look good. Full CGI people?? not so good (Look at Blade 3, the difference between real & computer people are obvious on SD-DVD and will only look worse in HD).

Robocop Example: When Kenny gets nailed w/ a pair of .30 machineguns in the boardroom, it'll look better than ever in HD!

And of course some aspects will look worse in HD: specifically anything superimposed. Nothing like super resolution to show the level of detail that gets skewed when one set of film (the effect film) is imposed over the background film.

Robocop Examples: ED-209 (a stop-motion miniture) is going to look "fake" when it walks in front of live action people (say, right before it kills Kenny). This of course isn't limited to Robocop, or old movies. Just check out the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park, they look grainy and faded next to everything else. There is no trick to flawless superimposition. The best way around it is to create everything in the digital realm or put everything on-set, just ask Lucas.

Jack Hammer said:
I really wouldn't expect it to look much better than just upconverting it off the current disc. But, what do I know...
Well there are alot of problems with the current disks that can be improved for a new Transfer....
Black levels: decidedly dark grey on the Criterion & MGM DVDs
Contrast: This actually got worse on the newer MGM DVD. alot of detail was lost (example: the individual creases in Robo's rubber torso appear as one giant black blob in many scenes).
Detail: Not only will there be better resolution (yeah!), but 'Robovision' with its computer monitor artifacting was lost on the latest transfer.
Colour: The movie is light with natural light and flourescents, this creates a very wide array of colours, but every home video transfer has been overly washed-out and dull.

B

Buckeye_Nut

Absolutely none of the titles are tempting me. When the selection gets to the point where I can go down to my local store on a tuesday, and pick up whichever fresh new release of my choosing in one of the formats, I'll be ready to make the switch.

Having a few "OLD" cherrypicked titles available does absolutely nothing to get fired up about HD-DVDs. Heck, most of the old stuff they cherrypicked to re-release in HD were terrible movies in the first place.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis