HiFi systems don't need speaker stands then why do Home theatre need?

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
There was a time where majority of the market used to have HiFi systems such as Sony , Panasonic and Philips which didn't need any stands or anything.

Why do we need stands for Bookshelfs then such as the MA BX2 (Bigger ones). Why can't we just keep it on a TV shelf?

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
probably the same reason as why all in on systems are not used in HT very much.

Seriously though you want the tweeter to be at ear level for music or HT and if your tv shelve does that go for it

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Cars analogies are my fav, so: Imagine you have old and beat up minivan - probably ok for basic transporter in a pinch, right? All it needs is to fill it up with gas and oil. But It probably going to run the Nürburgring ring in about one year or so :)

Now, Nissan GTR could do latter a bit better, dontcha think so? But guess what - GTR requires whole bunch of costly maintenances, which beat up van doesn't.

Or in other words: Do you want to listen to your neighbor singing in the shower (aka your typical ALL-IN-ONE system) or actually try get sound like you're at the concert (Properly set up component system with good speakers, like MA you'd mentioned) - The latter one requires "tickets", "time to get to venue" and most likely "parking fees"

Last edited:
H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
There was a time where majority of the market used to have HiFi systems such as Sony , Panasonic and Philips which didn't need any stands
Just because people didn't use stands doesn't mean they didn't need them.
I remember the time I had my speakers on the floor. They were the size of large or very large bookshelf speakers. I also had my bed mattresses on the floor. Besides, not many "TV shelves" are wide enough to place speakers at the proper distance.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Putting a speaker on a bookshelf makes it sound dreadful unless it is specifically voiced for the bookshelf. Using stands will keep you from getting nasty boundary effects and help you properly place the speakers in your room.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I have a hard time calling the examples from the OP "HiFi".

That is marketing dept at work.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
There was a time where majority of the market used to have HiFi systems such as Sony , Panasonic and Philips which didn't need any stands or anything.
The Sony system you have pictured and others of that same type are not HiFi systems. They are shelf systems. They are not of a quality that would make stand mounting them worth your while.

Why do we need stands for Bookshelfs then such as the MA BX2 (Bigger ones). Why can't we just keep it on a TV shelf?
There's not rule that says you cannot set it on a shelf, but using speaker stands can certainly improve your performance. The purpose of the speaker stand is to get the speaker away from the wall and reduce reflective surfaces. Speakers radiate sound in a similar way a flashlight radiates light. By having the speakers on a shelf the sound will reflect off of flat surfaces. This usually creates havoc on the sound.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
There's not rule that says you cannot set it on a shelf, but using speaker stands can certainly improve your performance. The purpose of the speaker stand is to get the speaker away from the wall and reduce reflective surfaces. Speakers radiate sound in a similar way a flashlight radiates light. By having the speakers on a shelf the sound will reflect off of flat surfaces. This usually creates havoc on the sound.
+1

If I'm going to sit a bookshelf on a shelf or desk for convenience or some other good reason, then I will at least use Iso pads to help mitigate the problems.

And, of course, many pro level monitors have "boundary compensation settings" to help out in these situations.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
You can put the speakers anywhere you like. But if you put them so that they are away from a wall and at a height that puts the tweeters at ear level, they will sound better. That is true for any audio application.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
You can put the speakers anywhere you like. But if you put them so that they are away from a wall and at a height that puts the tweeters at ear level, they will sound better. That is true for any audio application.
Almost right, except to add to that - Like Seth said above - away from ANY reflective surfaces will improve sound

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
Ya i agree with you "BoredSysAdmin" , My old Sony sounded muddy and lack of clarity made me pull my hair.

But i felt my older Kenwood sounded better than this Sony but too bad the Kenwood Player was a defective model. That thing would just say "No Disk " Even after putting a disc in the tray. We repaired it and still we got the same error.

So to conclude , it means that all in one HiFi systems tend be of lower quality because of minimizing the cost and stuffing in features etc.

Even my Sony HTIB sounds bad and Harsh at times and the Sub is just too Overpowered for the room size i have back in my Home country.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis