C

Cuong Nguyen

Audiophyte
Could I use signal from PA amplifier to feed a receiver of a home theatre system? And if I could, how I can do that?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Could I use signal from PA amplifier to feed a receiver of a home theatre system? And if I could, how I can do that?
Can't say. What PA amp, what receiver, from what to which sockets and with what cable?

We have a load of idiots currently thinking we can read minds.

C

Cuong Nguyen

Audiophyte
I want to get signal out of a QSC RMX 2450 to feed a Pioneer Home System receiver? Is it possible? Or this will destroy the receiver?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I want to get signal out of a QSC RMX 2450 to feed a Pioneer Home System receiver? Is it possible? Or this will destroy the receiver?
No, it is not possible and sounds totally backwards. I have no idea why you would want to send a signal from a power amplifier to a receiver. That is ridiculous. I can see why you would want to send a signal from a receiver to a power amp. You will be able to do that, if your receiver has preouts.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

The signal out of an amplifier goes to a speaker. You can’t dump a 500 watt signal into a Pioneer input that’s expecting a signal level of a few milliwatts.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Don't forget guys that this is the beginner's section, folks with very limited knowledge or understanding
about audio. That is why most post here. they will not learn and not come back is they are ridiculed, etc.

L

Latent

Full Audioholic
if you want to combine an amplifier and a home theater receiver (AVR) the correct way to do it is to get a AVR that has pre-amp outputs which all mid-high end units have but entry level units lack. Then you connect the Front two speakers to the amp terminals and the center/surround speakers to the AVR's speaker terminals. Finally you connect the front left/right pre-amp outputs to the amp's input terminals. Your amp has balanced inputs but you can get cables that are designed to convert from unbalanced RCA to balanced ports your amp uses. Also note you need to set a fixed amplifier gain on the amp and never change it so the AVR can control the volume as needed and level match between speakers.

You would only do the above if your speakers are very demanding or low impedance and you don't want to overload your AVR's internal amps. Most AVR's that have pre-amp outputs have more than enough power to drive the average room to uncomfortable volumes fine. Also some high end AVR's can process say 9 channels of sound but only have 7 inbuilt amplifiers so you can also use an amp in this situation to power the two extra channels.

Now if you want to use your amp on its own without turning the AVR on to power just your 2 main speakers in stereo mode then you can get a pre-amp with a home theater bypass option that allows it to connect one or more simple stereo sources and power then with the amp or switch into bypass mode when the AVR is in use which then connects the amp to the AVR exactly the same as I mentioned above. Switch off the AVR later and you can start using the stereo pre-amp to select stereo sources again. These pre-amps are very expensive though.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
No, you will smoke that receiver.

But, you can feed a preamp output from your receiver into the input of that amplifier. Not all receiver offer this though. Choose carefully.

L

Latent

Full Audioholic
Also another note that if you want the signal source that is connected to the power amp to go to an AVR as well this may be possible. For example if you have the amp powering speakers in room 1 and there is a CD player connected to it's input and you want the same audio to also be played in room 2 that has a AVR powering a separate set of speakers then it may be possible to split the audio output from the CD player and feed both the AVR and the Amp. However because it has balanced inputs instead of the RCA inputs in most AVR's this may not be as simple as a standard Y split cable and depends on the source cable type.

C

Cuong Nguyen

Audiophyte
The reason for this silly question is that I want to send signal from the main sanctuary of the church to a smaller room that already has a home theatre system set up. We are a small church and don't have a sound technician and cannot afford one. Thanks for all the responses

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The reason for this silly question is that I want to send signal from the main sanctuary of the church to a smaller room that already has a home theatre system set up. We are a small church and don't have a sound technician and cannot afford one. Thanks for all the responses
I'd rather suggest splitting the signal source before your power amp to go to both amps.....

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

This is not a silly question. That signal you want to send comes from what? A microphone? Can you be more specific?

C

Cuong Nguyen

Audiophyte
I just want to send signal from a Yamaha mixer (in the sanctuary) to the receiver (in the small room). But I don't see any tape output jack in the mixer. I don't know if I can get the signal out of one of the group outputs? Thank you for your concerns.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I applaud you for doing sound at your church. I did that for many years and it can be a thankless job.

That Yamaha mixer changes things somewhat. This is a workable scenario.

You don't take the signal from the QSC's output. You take if from it's input. That's to say the output of the mixer.

You would take the output of the mixer, split it, and send one side right back where it normally goes (The QSC amp?) and the other leg to the "aux" input of that receiver in the other room.

Of course, if we knew exactly what mixer and receiver we were dealing with, perhaps we could be more helpful. You basically asked "How much wire do I need" and left it at that. Make and model number, please.

Last edited:
Dan Madden

Dan Madden

Audioholic
I have a Peavey mixer amp and do this all the time. However, my Peavey has a line output. I find it hard to believe that your PA does not have a RCA line output?? Check the back of the unit carefully. Most PA's have a line out for recording purposes.

D

Don G.

Junior Audioholic
So will he have a balanced or unbalanced output from the mixer? Can you feed that to a AVR?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis