HiFi Digital Audio Player (DAP) Options

spec1alk

spec1alk

Audiophyte
I have a library of 16 and 24bit FLAC files. I would like to have the ability to play these with a portable device.

I have been looking at a DIY option by building something on the Raspberry Pi platform combined with HiFiBerry (or something similar). The challenge with this, is that the UI for the player would effectively be my phone, and this could be troublesome when in an area where we have a stereo but no WiFi.

I also have a couple old phones (iPhone 7 and a Samsung Galaxy S3) that I wouldn't mind using as the UI for the player, but I don't know how to set these up to be able to play the 24bit FLAC files without them being down-sampled to 16bit. Could I buy an external DAC?

I know there are also personal audio players that can do this, but most of those are $400 or more (several being over $900).

My requirements are:
  • Play 24bit FLAC files without down-sampling them to 16bit
  • Analog out via RCA (does not need to be amplified)
  • UI that does not require WiFi (Bluetooth would be acceptable)
Nice to have:
  • Nice to have SP/DIF or Optical/Toslink
  • Battery powered
I am looking for advice on what my options are and where I can get the most value. Is going the Raspberry Pi route the best value? Or can I pair a DAC with one of those phones? What is the pro/con of each of these options? Am I chasing the wrong approach and should just save up and buy one of the commercial options?

Budget of under $200, and I would like to keep it closer to $100 to try it out. If this works out well, I may end up further investing in an upgrade down the line.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out was $150 and recently about $109 . Love mine.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Curious to why native 24 bit is so important, in particular on a portable device...

Here's some reading for OP, before he answers among the lines of 24>16...
https://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html
http://archimago.blogspot.com/2019/02/musings-why-bother-with-24-bit-dacs.html
http://archimago.blogspot.com/2014/06/24-bit-vs-16-bit-audio-test-part-i.html
http://archimago.blogspot.com/2014/06/24-bit-vs-16-bit-audio-test-part-ii.html

As for mobile devices, I was able to playback FLAC even on the galaxy s2

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks. Spent too much time now looking around and keep going back to the 100R from pioneer on accessories4less site. More money but,full android and more storage. Uggh. $100 bucks was easy $250 not so much.
I was looking at that one as well, but didn't want to spend alot + the Cayin N3 is well regarded and has all the functionality I need. I don't really stream music often. All is ripped to Flac or 320 mp3. I think KEW bought that Pioneer model maybe he will chime in.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks. Spent too much time now looking around and keep going back to the 100R from pioneer on accessories4less site. More money but,full android and more storage. Uggh. $100 bucks was easy $250 not so much.
Hey! I've got the Pioneer XDP-100R and could not recommend it enough. Sound quality is excellent as is the Android interface. I can see why some folks don't agree with the idea of a DAP, but that's cool. If I could, I would go with the LG V40 (great DAC, MQA, expandable memory) but I am tied to my current phone and /- $700 for a new device for audio only is too much, hence the Pioneer. Plus, it is fun to play!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
MQA, about as annoying/time wasting subject matter as bi-wiring or upgrading power cables...

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Linking to the root of avsforum :) haha. it's like looking for a grain of sand on the whole planet :)
Oh no doubt - it is a huge site! :D Sorry about that - I just did a quick search on MQA and at least 15 threads popped up.

spec1alk

spec1alk

Audiophyte
Curious to why native 24 bit is so important, in particular on a portable device...

Here's some reading for OP, before he answers among the lines of 24>16...
(REMOVED LINKS)

As for mobile devices, I was able to playback FLAC even on the galaxy s2
BoredSysAdmin, thank you for the links. I perused through them.

My father and uncles are really the audiophiles in my family. My dad has setup a listening room in his home. Hasn't done room treatments and such, but he often listens to Vinyl and CDs. He has several tube driven amps and pre-amps, along with some good quality solid state amps.

We often go out to the desert several times a year and camping trips. We would like something that has the convenience of a DAP, but provides better quality. This could just mean FLAC rips of CDs rather than lossy MP3s. I just know they hate listening to music off my phone.

So, I was looking at a way to play back higher quality sound from a portable device.

I also recognize that the specific album makes a huge difference due to the "loudness war". I have run my library through the Dynamic Range plugin for Foobar and it is amazing to see the trend of low DR scores for albums in the late 90's and early 2000's compared to 80's and early 90's. It could be that getting a recording that has not been mastered with too much compressed dynamic range is the answer, combined with a lossless codec (like FLAC or ALAC).

Regardless, I am going to likely take a look at combining a Raspberry Pi with a board from HiFiBerry to see how it works. My understanding is that I can set the RPi to act as a WiFi hotspot that my phone can connect to and control even if I am somewhere without WiFi (such as in the desert or camping).

Any recommendations on the DAC to combine with the RPi? Is the one from HiFiBerry good? Or should I look at others?

I would like something that could reasonably compete against Vinyl or Reel-to-Reel when played on higher end audio gear, assuming that the FLAC files come from sources that have been mastered well.

K

kenwstr

Audioholic Intern
I have an iBasso DX80 they are older high end, very nice sound. Mine isn't for sale but you could try.
https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=ibasso+dx80

Outputs:
S/PDIF Dual Mini Optical/Coaxial
3.5 mm Headphone (I have excellent results with 300 ohm Sennheiser DH650 headphones)
3.5 mm Line out

Input Micro USB Charge, computer file system, OTG storage device, audio stream.

Dual SD cards.

Does not support WiFi as far as I know.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh no doubt - it is a huge site! :D Sorry about that - I just did a quick search on MQA and at least 15 threads popped up.
15 threads don't sound like too much, but each could easily have 200+ pages

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis