C

charmed101

Enthusiast
Hello again folks !
Just looking for an opinion on placement of subs. My confusion is that I have read here in several places that people move there sub around, until they find the perfect position for it. OK.
But then in some specs on subs, they say that you can put it anywhere, behind furniture, in corners, doesn't matter where you put it, works proper anywhere.
Which would be right, or are both right depending on the sub.

Thanks for any input

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
You can put a sub anywhere and it will work.

But, if you want the BEST sound, you may need to move it around a bit. Those who care most about audio, above all aesthetics, will move that sucker into the middle of the room if they need to for the best audio.

But, usually it is a compromise between good sound and great sound combined with the room the speaker is in. No sub will just work perfectly wherever it is, whichever room you put it in. That's just crazy talk. :)

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
BMXTRIX said:
You can put a sub anywhere and it will work.

But, if you want the BEST sound, you may need to move it around a bit. Those who care most about audio, above all aesthetics, will move that sucker into the middle of the room if they need to for the best audio.

But, usually it is a compromise between good sound and great sound combined with the room the speaker is in. No sub will just work perfectly wherever it is, whichever room you put it in. That's just crazy talk. :)
.....BMX, some should move all the junk out of that spare bedroom, and establish a theater....especially, if now the equipment sits in an open market.....great room/openings everywhere....12X16 would be ideal for a couch at about 12....two subs up front....dover.....

Z

zilla

Junior Audioholic
I started out w/ my sub in a corner, and was happy with the sound (dear god it would rattle the house). Decided to play with it one day, and put in a position near my primary viewing position and couldn't believe the change. The bass seems to really blend better now... so that you really can't tell where it's coming from at all, just seems to flow right out of the tv. :)

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Since I know what sub you have, and own a similar one, I recommend putting it in the front beside your TV.

The Athena AS-P400 is front ported like yours, cept not down firing. I found the best localization and cleanest bass to be front center beside the TV. The corner has more localization, and in the rear it doesn't sound that great for music, but its awesome for movies.

Trust me, your sub is best beside the TV.

SheepStar

D

deftech

Junior Audioholic
I have my hitachi rear projection tv in a corner of my living room and my svs 25-31 pci is behind it completly out of sight. It sounds just fine back there.

C

charmed101

Enthusiast
hidding the sub

Once again people, thank you for your knowledge and experience !!

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
mulester7 said:
.....outstanding, Zilla.....if I only had one sub, no matter what the type, it would be in the dead center of the front soundstage.....
Put a little pillow on that sucker and you have...ta-daaaa...instant ottoman. ;)

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
rjbudz said:
Put a little pillow on that sucker and you have...ta-daaaa...instant ottoman. ;)
.....with onboard foot massage, RJBudz.....

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
Sheep said:
Since I know what sub you have, and own a similar one, I recommend putting it in the front beside your TV.

The Athena AS-P400 is front ported like yours, cept not down firing. I found the best localization and cleanest bass to be front center beside the TV. The corner has more localization, and in the rear it doesn't sound that great for music, but its awesome for movies.

Trust me, your sub is best beside the TV.

SheepStar
.....outstanding, Sheep.....if I only had one sub, no matter what the type, it would be in the dead center of the front soundstage.....

edwelly

edwelly

Full Audioholic
I have mine in the corner facing the couch. I was watching a movie tonight and I heard some localization so I minght play around with it some more. The problem with moving subs are is they are so darn heavy :D

T

trfcrugby

Enthusiast
Would putting the sub behind a projection TV cause any problems, such as vibration or distortion?

I just bought that MiniVee, and it would fit behind my TV.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I must say that if you want a furniture sub, CAT has the best one I've seen. Mule, your mini-barns are darn pretty, but they're still...subwoofery. Check out this beast:

Just an ordinary coffee table, right? Until....

Whoa!

I think that if I ever have the money, I'd like to experience a theater created just for my by CAT.

http://www.calaudiotech.com/

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Sub positioning

To answer your question about sub locations, the low audio frequencies below 80 Hz can't be localized. This means that you can't tell what direction the low frequencies are comming from allowing you to move the sub to different locations in the room.

However, the subs low frequencies can interact with your room modes causing dibs or boosts in the frequency response of the sub. To minimize this interaction and maximize the performance of your sub, use the audioholics guide.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis