Hi res version of SONOS: devialet vs bluesound

skypickle

skypickle

Audioholic Intern
I listen to a fair amount of hi res music (not that hi res is always significantly better but the mastering of these recordings is often more careful and not overdriven) Although I have a system capable of resolving the differences of hi res and mp3 (maggies, sanders amps, schitt dac and preamp) I also want to listen to my collection in the kitchen. Casually.

So I am looking for an easy to control sonos-like system. Not just a casual network player for music from hi res formats - I could build a raspberry pi with volumio for that. But I do not want to have to switch on amps, dacs, preamps just to have music in the background while I cook, eat, read, talk, etc.

The devialet phantom seems to have everything (at a stiff price). Another solution would be a bluesound node with a pair of powered speakers (audioengine or jbl 7 series). Controlling everything from an app would be the goal (or even an alexa skill)

Has anyone gone down this road and care to share their solution?

G

GFOViedo

Audioholic
I have had experience with the following:
1) Sonos
2) Denon HEOS Amps Gen 2.
3) Bluesound PowerNode

I'm currently using a BlueSound PowerNode G1, which support MQA. You can notice a sound difference with high resolution music files with Tidal.

However, my wife likes Pandora and BlueSound doesn't support Pandora at the moment. I ended up selling my Sonos and Denon HEOS amps because BlueSound supports MQA, and I was hoping that by now BlueSound would support Pandora, but no one knows when this will happen.

So, now I am selling my PowerNode so I can either go back to Sonos or Denon so my wife can use her Pandora account.

They all require learning how to use their app, but it is pretty simple to do. All of my family and friends love coming over to have a few drink, relax and listen to some music in the patio while we BBQ some Tri-Tip!

skypickle

skypickle

Audioholic Intern
Bummer about pandora. I also would miss qobuz which sonos supports. Maybe I need a music server on my nas that can downsample to sonos

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis