L

Leo

Audiophyte
I have a dilemna, everytime I plug my subwoofer I get a hi-pitched noise to the rest of my loudspeakers (front, rear and center). I am stuck, don't know what to do next. I appreciate any advice I can try out.

F

Fb111794

Audioholic Intern
Leo said:
I have a dilemna, everytime I plug my subwoofer I get a hi-pitched noise to the rest of my loudspeakers (front, rear and center). I am stuck, don't know what to do next. I appreciate any advice I can try out.
Sounds like you have a "ground loop" problem. Buy one of those "cheater plugs" (where it lets you put a 3 prong plug into a two prong outlet) and give that a try. Be shure to attach the wire ground from the cheater plug to the center screw of your outlet cover.

The other thing you might have is a faulty sub cable where the shielding is bad and you are picking up RF noise. Remember that long cable acts just like an indoor antena and will pick up all kinds of noise if the shielding goes bad.

L

Leo

Audiophyte
Thanks for the tip.....I tried plugging in one of those cheater plugs and it worked. No more hi-pitched noise.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Now, get rid of that plug. Not a good idea. You are not solving the problem, just creating a new one. Read this.

P

Polkfan

Audioholic
High pitched sound generally equals feedback from somewhere...

WorkerBee

WorkerBee

Junior Audioholic
My house was built in the 50's and there are no 3 prong grounded receptacles.
So I guess I am in the same shoes as someone using a cheater plug regarding all my electronic equipment :p oh well, it works and until I get a serious amp I don't plan on putting in a dedicated grounded line. :)

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
WorkerBee said:
My house was built in the 50's and there are no 3 prong grounded receptacles.
So I guess I am in the same shoes as someone using a cheater plug regarding all my electronic equipment :p oh well, it works and until I get a serious amp I don't plan on putting in a dedicated grounded line. :)

Replacing receptacles is not that big of a problem. Save yourself some problems and go ahead and do the work now.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis