Hi, I'm a bit clueless.

S

Sam0n

Audiophyte
I've never done anything like this ever before, but was bored today and decided to have a go.

Now all the equipment I'm working with is quite old, so I think that's most of the problem I'm having. I've got a few pictures to try and help me explain it but I'm not allowed to post links or pictures yet >_>

So we have this stack and in the middle is a 'Pioneer Stereo Amplifier AZ 360'
And we have a set of speakers which I thought would be fun to try and set up with my telly up in my bedroom (big CRT 32" Sanyo thing, it's a giant). The speakers are 'Philips SBC 3234' (we have two of them).

And the wire coming out of it there are meters of it (I think it's speaker wire, I really am completely clueless).

Anyway finally figured out that them wired thingy's go into the back and they get clipped in, there are four squares where they clip in (two left, two right)

And there is an 'Input Phono' so I stoke in your bog standard AV cable white and red jacks in, and into the output on my TV.

Got it to work, but the quality is god awful. I've messed about with the bass and treble a bit and got it slightly better but still nowhere near listenable really. It sounds like if for example you're listening to very bass heavy metal music loud on speakers with out a sub, how there is a horrible crunchy sound with every beat. Well it sounds like that all the time no matter what I'm listening to, no matter how quiet.

I'm sorry that it's really poorly worded but like I say I really don't know what I'm talking about and have tried to describe my problem as best as I can. Is there anything I could do to try and improve the sound quality? Could it just be a case of needing new speakers cos these one's are old?

Thank you very much in advance.

J

jamie2112

Banned
Welcome to AH.It sounds like you have some really old and beat up speakers.Are you looking to buy new ones or just asking if you indeed need new ones?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I've never done anything like this ever before, but was bored today and decided to have a go.

Now all the equipment I'm working with is quite old, so I think that's most of the problem I'm having. I've got a few pictures to try and help me explain it but I'm not allowed to post links or pictures yet >_>

So we have this stack and in the middle is a 'Pioneer Stereo Amplifier AZ 360'
And we have a set of speakers which I thought would be fun to try and set up with my telly up in my bedroom (big CRT 32" Sanyo thing, it's a giant). The speakers are 'Philips SBC 3234' (we have two of them).

And the wire coming out of it there are meters of it (I think it's speaker wire, I really am completely clueless).

Anyway finally figured out that them wired thingy's go into the back and they get clipped in, there are four squares where they clip in (two left, two right)

And there is an 'Input Phono' so I stoke in your bog standard AV cable white and red jacks in, and into the output on my TV.

Got it to work, but the quality is god awful. I've messed about with the bass and treble a bit and got it slightly better but still nowhere near listenable really. It sounds like if for example you're listening to very bass heavy metal music loud on speakers with out a sub, how there is a horrible crunchy sound with every beat. Well it sounds like that all the time no matter what I'm listening to, no matter how quiet.

I'm sorry that it's really poorly worded but like I say I really don't know what I'm talking about and have tried to describe my problem as best as I can. Is there anything I could do to try and improve the sound quality? Could it just be a case of needing new speakers cos these one's are old?

Thank you very much in advance.
The phono input is for a turntable. It is too sensitive and has RIAA equalization, and will sound awful the way you are using it.

Use a line level input (aux).

S

Sam0n

Audiophyte
The phono input is for a turntable. It is too sensitive and has RIAA equalization, and will sound awful the way you are using it.

Use a line level input (aux).
This has fixed my problem, Instead of phono I've put them in 'LD' and the quality is a hell of a lot better. There's also 'VCR' I can choose aswell do you think that would be better.
Thanks alot for the fix, really appreciate it.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
This has fixed my problem, Instead of phono I've put them in 'LD' and the quality is a hell of a lot better. There's also 'VCR' I can choose aswell do you think that would be better.
Thanks alot for the fix, really appreciate it.
It won't matter, they are both line level inputs.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis