HF Distortion in my system. Any ideas?

FozzieT

FozzieT

Enthusiast
I'm a new poster on this site, but I've been following it for a couple of years now.

I am getting high-frequency distortion out of my system lately. Kind of a fuzzy sound on the high frequencies. I've noticed it the most on 24/96 tracks. Not to say that has anything due to the cause, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Here's my system:

2013 Apple Mac Mini -> Itunes -> Amarra Hi Fi -> Audioquest Dragonfly -> Emotiva UMC 200 Preamp -> Emotiva XPA-5 Amp -> Monitor Audio Gold GX 100 speakers.

So. Before I go tearing everything down one at a time to identify the cause of this calamity, I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or ideas. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

charmerci

charmerci

Audioholic
Coming out of both speakers at the same time? If not, switch cables going down the line from the source. Same distortion from the same recording in the CD's or not? Make sure all connections are firmly in place. DeOxIt 5 to spray into all switches (especially volume) and RCA plugs and rotate several times. (Especially if you live in humid place.) Then you need to isolate the source. Can you switch out any components with alternatives?

Only you can find out where it's coming from, first.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Go Mac>Itunes (it supports core audio)> USP 200 USB input.

You have a pretty long chain (Amarra, AQ DragonFly). So cut out the un-needed components for a start.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
May need to look at firmware updates and be sure you have latest releases for all your software on the Mac.

I've had issues with sound cards that were fixed when I updated the latest drivers.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Go Mac>Itunes (it supports core audio)> USP 200 USB input.

You have a pretty long chain (Amarra, AQ DragonFly). So cut out the un-needed components for a start.
Agreed, not sure why the others are even in the chain at all.

FozzieT

FozzieT

Enthusiast
I don't have a USP 200. It is a UMC-200. It does not have a USB input (except for firmware updates). The distortion occurs whether I have the Amarra HiFi program activated or not. I use Amarra HiFi because it automatically detects the sampling rate of the song being played, and automatically outputs the data at that bitrate. Good for when you are playing a mix of 24/96 and 16/44.1 music - it's always playing at the best sample rate.

I use the Audioquest Dragonfly DAC because it is an asynchronous DAC and (supposedly) better than the DAC/sound card built into the Mac Mini.

So, I'm running an analog signal from my DAC into my Emotiva UMC-200 into the Analog Inputs, and running that signal to my XPA-5 Amplifier.

I don't really see where this signal chain is any different than anything anyone else would use, particularly for someone who is using their Mac Mini as a music server.

Music Source -> Source Reader -> DAC -> Preamp -> Amp -> Speakers

Itunes/Hard Drive -> Amarra -> Dragonfly -> UMC 200 -> XPA-5 -> Monitor Audio GX 100s

jinjuku

jinjuku

Ok, so go from the Mac Toslink to the Toslink on the UMC.

Also you have a 5 channel amp try running the speakers on other channels.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I don't have a USP 200. It is a UMC-200. It does not have a USB input (except for firmware updates). The distortion occurs whether I have the Amarra HiFi program activated or not. I use Amarra HiFi because it automatically detects the sampling rate of the song being played, and automatically outputs the data at that bitrate. Good for when you are playing a mix of 24/96 and 16/44.1 music - it's always playing at the best sample rate.

I use the Audioquest Dragonfly DAC because it is an asynchronous DAC and (supposedly) better than the DAC/sound card built into the Mac Mini.

So, I'm running an analog signal from my DAC into my Emotiva UMC-200 into the Analog Inputs, and running that signal to my XPA-5 Amplifier.

I don't really see where this signal chain is any different than anything anyone else would use, particularly for someone who is using their Mac Mini as a music server.

Music Source -> Source Reader -> DAC -> Preamp -> Amp -> Speakers

Itunes/Hard Drive -> Amarra -> Dragonfly -> UMC 200 -> XPA-5 -> Monitor Audio GX 100s
If you have a digital out already, then you are performing one unnecessary D/A step, though I wouldn't say that's the culprit for sure. The Emotiva also has better DACs than the Mac.

Which inputs are you using on the UMC-200? Have you tried a different set? Have you run Emo-Q on the UMC already?

FozzieT

FozzieT

Enthusiast
Thanks! Good points. Maybe I don't need the Dragonfly. (Maybe it's the Dragonfly in the ointment!! :p ) Since I am home sick from work today, I will have time to futz with it. I appreciate your help!!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
At the very least, trying another method might tell you if the dragonfly is a factor or if the MAC by itself exhibits the same issue without it.

FozzieT

FozzieT

Enthusiast
Took the Dragonfly out of the chain and solved the problem. Now using the Mac Mini's HDMI output to the UMC 200. Had to do a little fiddling with the Midi settings on the Mac and also to the Preferences in Amarra HiFi, as well as on the UMC 200. But.....Now I have beautiful, distortion-free music!

It sounds excellent! Thank you for your suggestions!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Took the Dragonfly out of the chain and solved the problem. Now using the Mac Mini's HDMI output to the UMC 200. Had to do a little fiddling with the Midi settings on the Mac and also to the Preferences in Amarra HiFi, as well as on the UMC 200. But.....Now I have beautiful, distortion-free music!

It sounds excellent! Thank you for your suggestions!
Wonder if it's a defective draongfly? Or it just doesn't play nice with the mac.

FozzieT

FozzieT

Enthusiast
Party on Garth!

No clue what the problem was with the Dragonfly, but it was definitely having some type of challenge with some of the louder passages of solo piano pieces, like the piano solo in Norah Jones' "Cold Cold Heart". When she hit some notes, there was fuzziness/distortion that is gone now.

Weird, because the Dragonfly has gotten great reviews, made many "Best of" lists. But seems like Emotiva's DAC chip in their UMC 200 is doing a better job, at least in my system.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis