HEOS vs MusicCast vs other? (How to stream music to multiple rooms)

Landmonster

Landmonster

Audioholic
Hi guys. Please forgive my ignorance on this topic, and help educate me. I've never attempted anything like this before.

I'm starting to build a small additional stereo system for the other living room in my house. This will just remain 2 channel most likely.

The goal: I'd like to be able to stream music over the home Wi-fi network and have the same song play simultaneously from both systems, like for Holiday parties. Is this reasonable/doable?

I have one Denon X4500, which is currently a preamp in the main theater. I am planning to purchase a true (better hopefully) pre-amplifier/processor to process in my main theater, and move this Denon receiver to living room #2, in which it will power a small stereo system.

Questions:

1) Can HEOS do what I am asking for? Can it stream music from one receiver/pre-pro, and have it play the same song to a different receiver/pre-pro too?

2) For this purpose, is HEOS or MusicCast considered better? Are there any technical/actual differences in Sound Quality... or does it come down to UI/UX and personal preferences?

3) If I add a Marantz Preprocessor, will it be able to stream music to both systems? What level of current Marantz pre/pro is needed for HEOS? I was looking at the AV8802A, but frustratingly, I cannot see that it even has HEOS. Can anyone confirm this?

4) If I add a Yamaha processor, like the CX-A5200, it is going to stream MusicCast. This poses a problem, since I would have a Denon Receiver in the other room. Can I connect some kind of inexpensive MusicCast device to the Denon to receive the Yamaha's signal? What would that be?

Thanks for any clarification... I've never attempted anything like this before.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I use Chromecast Audio units for that myself. Tuning in to see what the built in services you're asking about can do these days....

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I want to add to your question:

Do Musicast/Heos play in synch, or is there a delay?

For example, when I try to play my simple under-cabinet mounted FM radio in the kitchen while the HT system is also tuned to the same station, there is a reverb echo effect. This makes sense, because the radio plays the signal as soon as it arrives while the AVR goes through a Analog to Digital Conversion and then, back to Analog, before playing!

So, if, for example, your sub has a delay for DSP, that AVR would delay all of the speakers to match the timing of the sub. If you have another system w/o DSP sub, it would not delay the signal as much.

Is this problem addressed by the Musicast/Heos system?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Do Musicast/Heos play in synch, or is there a delay?
MusicCast plays in synch if the source is the same for all zones.

The same song (same source) can be played in all zones via the same source. Of course, if the sources are different, then it will not be in synch.

In this example, Ennio Morricone is playing from the same source (Server). So the songs are in synch.

In this example, there are 2 sources (Server & PC). So I could play the same song, but they are not in synch.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Can I connect some kind of inexpensive MusicCast device to the Denon to receive the Yamaha's signal? What would that be?
You could connect a MusicCast Preamp to the AVR. But it’s not that cheap. :D

Unless you want to add a turntable anyway, then you could add a MusicCast Turntable. :D

Landmonster

Landmonster

Audioholic
You could connect a MusicCast Preamp to the AVR. But it’s not that cheap. :D

That looks awesome. I wonder how good the sound quality is on that unit, and what DAC it uses?

Can you recommend a good 2 channel integrated amp of some kind?

My front room really just needs a way to stream music, and hook up an Apple 4 TV to 2 nice bookshelf speakers, and a TV.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Or you could do what I did - sold my Denon AVR-5308CI and got the Yamaha RX-A3080 so that all my systems are MusicCast. :D

Bit I think you should decide on the pre-pro INDEPENDENTLY from the streaming feature.

Is the AV8802 better for you than the CX-A5200?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That looks awesome. I wonder how good the sound quality is on that unit, and what DAC it uses?

Can you recommend a good 2 channel integrated amp of some kind?

My front room really just needs a way to stream music, and hook up an Apple 4 TV to 2 nice bookshelf speakers, and a TV.
Yeah, sure, get a Yamaha A-S1200 Integrated amp. :D

Well, okay, if you’re going to be cheap about it, then the Yamaha A-S801. :D

Landmonster

Landmonster

Audioholic
I'm a bit bummed. None of these good integrated amps have HDMI?

The Apple TV only has HDMI out.

What device is best if you just want to combine
  1. an Apple 4 TV,
  2. a HDTV,
  3. 2 nice speakers that can play TV/movie sound, but also stream 2-channel music?

I know a receiver works but is this ideal?

B

bommai

Audioholic Intern

1. an Apple 4 TV,
  2. a HDTV,
  3. 2 nice speakers that can play TV/movie sound, but also stream 2-channel music?

You can airplay to any of these receivers simultaneously. There is also BluSound from NAD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

1. an Apple 4 TV,
  2. a HDTV,

AVR is good for what you are wanting.

Landmonster

Landmonster

Audioholic
Bummer.

I just realized that HEOS does not allow Tidal to stream anything over 16-bit music. How stupid is that?
HEOS does allow Quboz to stream 24 bit, but not Tidal!!

Does Music Cast, or other technologies, also limit Tidal to 16 bit?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Who needs more than 16bit music in real use? Are you a golden ear or a bat?

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
I sold off my HEOS sht
Musiccast>>>>>HEOS
Yamaha>>>>>>Denon/Marantz
Yamaha is the BIG BOSS!
Always remember this great truth young lads!

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
Who needs more than 16bit music in real use? Are you a golden ear or a bat?
My 24 bit/44.1, 24 bit/96 etc studio master flacs have a special something for a golden ear bat like me. Knock yourself out with that trailer park 16 bit....bwaaaaahaha bwaaa

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well for that matter my 34 bit 99 mhz is so much better....but am just not into sharing :)

Guiria

Guiria

Senior Audioholic
The http://www.us.marantz.com:443/product/NR1200 Marantz NR1200 would suit your stereo needs and keep you in the Heos product line if you are still interested in that.

I’m making a similar debate between MusicCast and Heos as I already own a Yamaha receiver and I’ll be setting up a stereo space with another receiver. Not sure I’ll ever use the multi streaming technology though not to mention that I could connect each system with an echo dot and then just use Alexa to stream to multiple devices at once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Not sure I’ll ever use the multi streaming technology though not to mention that I could connect each system with an echo dot and then just use Alexa to stream to multiple devices at once.
I believe you will need an echo dot for each device you intend to stream to. You cannot set an echo to stream to more than one device. You can, using the Echo app on your phone or tablet create groups such as "Upstairs" and "Everywhere" and assign Echos to each group however you like. That allows you to say "Alexa play Spotify upstairs" to control everything from one Echo, but still need multiple Echos for streaming to multiple devices/speakers.

Guiria

Guiria

Senior Audioholic
I believe you will need an echo dot for each device you intend to stream to. You cannot set an echo to stream to more than one device. You can, using the Echo app on your phone or tablet create groups such as "Upstairs" and "Everywhere" and assign Echos to each group however you like. That allows you to say "Alexa play Spotify upstairs" to control everything from one Echo, but still need multiple Echos for streaming to multiple devices/speakers.
That is correct, each device or speaker would need an echo device and then assigned to a group. I have a group with 3 echo dots that works well without delay across the different locations in the home. The devices aren’t connected to additional equipment though so it’s not exactly a hifi experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
If you have an iPhone or iPad that supports Airplay 2, you can Airplay music to multiple devices that also support Airplay 2. Your Denon X4500H and Apple TV 4K both support Airplay 2. If your new Pre/Pro supports it, then you will be able to send music to it and to the Denon X4500H in Living room #2 simultaneously. Tidal HIFI 24 bit works over Airplay 2 from an iOS device. The iOS Tidal app is sharp.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis