Help with Yamaha receiver ps4 hdmi issue

S

Stones

Audioholic Intern
Hello, I have a Yamaha rxa 2700 receiver that I bought used on eBay . I have had it for a couple of weeks and suddenly have an issue with ps4 and old dvd player.
The front displays on receiver blinks the hdmi light between 1in 1 out under the red hdmi light when I turn on ps4 but no picture.
I have been using the ps4 without problems for a couple of weeks on this receiver until this morning with no issue.
If I switch my fire stick to the hdmi port that the ps4 is plugged into (hdmi 2) the fire stick works fine.
The ps4 works fine when plugged into tv hdmi or front panel hdmi on yamaha . But All hdmi ports work perfectly fine with fire stick.
This leads me to believe it’s not broken receiver but a communication issue between ps4 and older dvd player.
is it my hdmi cables? They are older but have worked fine until this morning
I have tried a few different cables but they are all older and not sure if they are outdated but like I mentioned everything worked fine until this morning.

Thanks for any help.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello, I have a Yamaha rxa 2700 receiver that I bought used on eBay . I have had it for a couple of weeks and suddenly have an issue with ps4 and old dvd player.
The front displays on receiver blinks the hdmi light between 1in 1 out under the red hdmi light when I turn on ps4 but no picture.
I have been using the ps4 without problems for a couple of weeks on this receiver until this morning with no issue.
If I switch my fire stick to the hdmi port that the ps4 is plugged into (hdmi 2) the fire stick works fine.
The ps4 works fine when plugged into tv hdmi or front panel hdmi on yamaha . But All hdmi ports work perfectly fine with fire stick.
This leads me to believe it’s not broken receiver but a communication issue between ps4 and older dvd player.
I have tried a few different cables but they are all older and not sure if they are outdated but like I mentioned everything worked fine until this morning.

Thanks for any help.
Hard to know, but we get problems with HDMI versions that old. The receiver is 2006 and well passed its sell by date. Its HDMI version is 1.3 and way outdated, especially in regard to repeater codes.

If your ps4 is connected to the internet, my hunch is that it got an update making it incompatible with your receiver.

A TV is different, as it is known as an end device, and does not have a need for repeater codes, but the receiver does, as it receives and sends HDMI. So my strong hunch is that you have fallen foul of the HDCP repeater codes.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General

Thanks for any help.
Try this...maybe just a hunch.
Remove the FireStick altogether and see if you still have an issue.

Before you do, unplug all pieces from power and disconnect the HDMI cables. (this resets CEC)
Plug all back in and together and power up, but leave the Firestick out and see what happens.

For the past couple of years, Firesticks have been causing issues depending on where they are plugged into an AVR. I had this happen myself.
Onkyo, Pioneer's and Integra's will experience a total picture/signal drop-out every so often when having a FireStick plugged into any port besides the first three (the higher speed ones).

And...no one has ever figured out why ! It only happens when the FireStick is plugged into the slower ports.

In your case, try to figure out which port does not cause an issue with the FireStick, which might be futile with that old AVR. (just plug the FireStick into your set then)

S

Stones

Audioholic Intern
Hard to know, but we get problems with HDMI versions that old. The receiver is 2006 and well passed its sell by date. Its HDMI version is 1.3 and way outdated, especially in regard to repeater codes.

If your ps4 is connected to the internet, my hunch is that it got an update making it incompatible with your receiver.

A TV is different, as it is known as an end device, and does not have a need for repeater codes, but the receiver does, as it receives and sends HDMI. So my strong hunch is that you have fallen foul of the HDCP repeater codes.
Sorry I had model number wrong it’s a rxa 2070 4k reciever . I believe it was new in 2018

S

Stones

Audioholic Intern
Try this...maybe just a hunch.
Remove the FireStick altogether and see if you still have an issue.

Before you do, unplug all pieces from power and disconnect the HDMI cables. (this resets CEC)
Plug all back in and together and power up, but leave the Firestick out and see what happens.

For the past couple of years, Firesticks have been causing issues depending on where they are plugged into an AVR. I had this happen myself.
Onkyo, Pioneer's and Integra's will experience a total picture/signal drop-out every so often when having a FireStick plugged into any port besides the first three (the higher speed ones).

And...no one has ever figured out why ! It only happens when the FireStick is plugged into the slower ports.

In your case, try to figure out which port does not cause an issue with the FireStick, which might be futile with that old AVR. (just plug the FireStick into your set then)
I will try this in a few , thank you

S

Stones

Audioholic Intern

I’m not as knowledgeable as you guys but is there a work around for hDCP ?

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
I’m not as knowledgeable as you guys but is there a work around for hDCP ?
Turn off CEC/HDMI control on all devices is what I do...Very rare that all these commands fighting each other ends well ! (for your main issue)
HDCP isn't very hard to get around...its copy protection. You would need a converter/splitter.

S

Stones

Audioholic Intern
Turn off CEC/HDMI control on all devices is what I do...Very rare that all these commands fighting each other ends well ! (for your main issue)
HDCP isn't very hard to get around...its copy protection. You would need a converter/splitter.

Thanks you , I will try Everyone recommendations and let you know how it works

Thank you for your help!
Went to ps4 menu and shut that and there was a option to shut off hdcp and that did the trick.
Must have updated on its own last night like tls guy mentioned and enabled hdcp. Still can’t get my dvd to play but I’m not sure I have tried it since I got new receiver it doesn’t have that as an option so maybe I need a hdcp convertor .

thanks again everyone , this would have ruined my day trying to figure this out.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
How old are the cables? Are they High Speed cables(10Gbps) or Premium Certified cables(18Gbps)? They need to be the latter. What is the TV in use here?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If an update threw you a curve you might consider disabling automatic updates and only update when it does something you need.

S

Stones

Audioholic Intern
How old are the cables? Are they High Speed cables(10Gbps) or Premium Certified cables(18Gbps)? They need to be the latter. What is the TV in use here?
They are old cables . cables I had laying around. Didn’t know they have been improved . I will order some 18 Gbps . Thanks

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis