Help with wireless microphone for karaoke

T

t1mmy

Audiophyte
Hello - newbie here, looking for some insight.
I have the Denon AVR-S750 receiver. I’ve hooked it up in my media room to a 7.1 speaker setup
Movies stream great, audio quality is amazing

I’ve since started working on a karaoke setup. I know the Denon isn’t a mixer - so here was my low budget solution:

1. Setup YouTube on my smartTV to allow users to cast / queue up songs from their phones. Music will come out of the TV - this works fine
2. Two wireless microphones into the “Phono” input on the receiver. Sound comes out of my front left and right speakers.

this is where it gets tricky. The setup works - there’s audio from singing. But it’s heavily distorted and scratchy, and very sensitive to breathing, etc.

I bought this one and used a basic converter.Reviews don’t say anything about sound quality being an issue.Any insight? Thanks in advance!

Wireless Microphone, TONOR UHF Dual Cordless Metal Dynamic Mic System with Rechargeable Receiver, for Karaoke Singing, Wedding, DJ, Party, Speech, Church, Class Use, 200ft (TW-630) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0859S2NTJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_ZK85KK71G0ZG8YZJP2YB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello - newbie here, looking for some insight.
I have the Denon AVR-S750 receiver. I’ve hooked it up in my media room to a 7.1 speaker setup
Movies stream great, audio quality is amazing

I’ve since started working on a karaoke setup. I know the Denon isn’t a mixer - so here was my low budget solution:

1. Setup YouTube on my smartTV to allow users to cast / queue up songs from their phones. Music will come out of the TV - this works fine
2. Two wireless microphones into the “Phono” input on the receiver. Sound comes out of my front left and right speakers.

this is where it gets tricky. The setup works - there’s audio from singing. But it’s heavily distorted and scratchy, and very sensitive to breathing, etc.

I bought this one and used a basic converter.Reviews don’t say anything about sound quality being an issue.Any insight? Thanks in advance!

Wireless Microphone, TONOR UHF Dual Cordless Metal Dynamic Mic System with Rechargeable Receiver, for Karaoke Singing, Wedding, DJ, Party, Speech, Church, Class Use, 200ft (TW-630) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0859S2NTJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_ZK85KK71G0ZG8YZJP2YB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
The phono input is ONLY for turntables, and MM cartridges at that. It is a very low voltage, high sensitivity input that also has RIAA equalization. If you do what you are doing, you will do a lot of damage.

The other issue, is do NOT use home audio equipment for Karaoke. That is asking for trouble and expensive damage. You need a separate PA system for Karaoke.

T

t1mmy

Audiophyte
Thank you! I realized this after I did more research. I moved the inputs over to a basic analog input for media players and the sound quality is significantly better. It’s the only aoudio source, I’m not doing any mixing. What’s the danger of damage with this setup?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thank you! I realized this after I did more research. I moved the inputs over to a basic analog input for media players and the sound quality is significantly better. It’s the only aoudio source, I’m not doing any mixing. What’s the danger of damage with this setup?
Home audio speakers are not designed for the rigors of live mic use. People who do use live mics with home audio speakers, end up blowing drivers.

The best thing to do is to get some PA speakers and have a switch, to change from your home audio set up to PA. I have a couple of granddaughters that like karaoke, and my son has some PA speakers he can switch to.

The other issue is that with live mics, you want to use mono and not stereo, as you get much less feedback.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I must say that I've used wireless mics for whole house microphone work in the past and it has worked incredibly well. It's not a perfect solution, but it does sound reasonably good. Not sure I would call the mics I used quality. I wouldn't likely call the mics you are using quality mics either. This is something to consider... Shure is a major brand name and a wireless pair of SM58 microphones with a wireless receiver, which is VERY entry level quality, will run you about TEN TIMES what that set cost on Amazon.

Shure: BLX288/SM58

So, you should really expect the microphones to be very inline with the price you spent, not in line with what you are likely to get in a karaoke bar which will use SM58 microphones at a bare minimum, and may even use a wired microphone system because that will sound even better.

From there, you certainly should be dealing with a proper mono-to-stereo adapter for your setup, or mono-to-single-RCA adapter and run the setup in mono (as mentioned previously).

There is a balance between how much volume you can generate from speakers and how much gain the microphones can have on them before the system will go into feedback, so that's important to consider. And feedback is a quick way to damage your speakers. So... yeah. That's why club/DJ/PA speakers are often recommended in microphone setups so you can have speakers specifically designed to handle some feedback running through them without blowing up.

I recently did a setup where I took the audio (digital) out of a TV, ran it across a room to an equipment closet, used a digital to analog converter to get stereo audio out of the TV and ran it into a mixer. The mixer took two SM58 wireless microphones along with the stereo audio, and mixed it together before sending it out to some nice QSC KW153 speakers...

It is quite annoying to the neighbors.

smormardko

smormardko

Audiophyte
I have wireless microphones that have always worked well, but when I needed them for a karaoke party at my house, there was no way I could get them to work properly. The sound just disappeared, and it was too annoying... So I had to look for a good multifunctional microphone. Thanks to the review at https://asmrmicrophones.com/blue-yeti-usb-microphone, I could pick up such a microphone. One of these days I'm going to buy it. I need this microphone for both work and leisure. I won't need to buy a few hidden microphones.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I have wireless microphones that always worked well, but when I needed them for a karaoke party at my house, there was no chance to make them work properly. The sound was just off, and it was too annoying...
So! None of us are imbued with telepathic powers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis