Help with subwoofer selection.

pdxrealtor

pdxrealtor

Audioholic Intern
Yes- this was posted on AVS as well.

So it looks like the SVS prices I was planning on might not come through. That's got me over-analyzing up a storm, which might just be a good thing..... I don't know.

I'm going crazy with all of the options. The thing is..... I know whatever I get I'll be happy with. But I won't know what I'm missing either. SO... those of you with experience on several models please chime in with your favs and why!

I want reference level ability and my budget is 2800.00. Please note that while I do care about output, I also care about sound quality. I actually care about sound quality more than output. Meaning.... The output I'm asking must have the SQ. A big giant 18 that puts out crazy spl has no place in my space if it doesn't sound good.

I will be buying two subs minimum. One sub options are off the table- period- don't even suggest them. I'm not going to buy one now and save for another. The wife is on board NOW. :)

I don't care how ugly they look, as I can and most likely will hide them unless they look good.

Cab. dimensions are important. No higher than 24-25" is possible.

Ported only. HT is 95% of my task.

Room size is roughly 2850 ^3 and listening position is 10 feet from L/C/R behind an AT screen. Subs will be on the floor against the wall (10ft away) so listening position distance from subs will be dictated by how far subs protrude into the room.

Here's what I'm currently looking at, and reading about. Feel free to suggest others. I might, MIGHT, be open to DIY, but it would have to be a well planned and proven kit with specific instructions. I must say it's very low on the list though.

2 Rythmik FV15HP
4 PSA XV 15
2 PSA XV30f
2 CHT VS-18.1 (passive or active?)
2 JTR Cap 1000s (passive only- I would buy external amp)
4 HSU VTF-15H

pdxrealtor

pdxrealtor

Audioholic Intern
Wow! 80 views and no responses. Interesting.....

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Of the options listed, I'd probably lean towards the FV15HPs, though all the options on your list should give a good accounting of themselves.

PS: The quartet of Hsus would exceed your $2800 budget significantly.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Out of those, I'd get the 2 FV15HPs or the 2 captivators.

pdxrealtor

pdxrealtor

Audioholic Intern
I'm really wanting the caps most out of them all. But to stay in budge they'd have to be passive. Amp options start mid 500 plus I'd need a DSP/EQ as well. Mini DSP I is 125.00.

I couldn't find any CEA info on the JTRs. Does anyone know if such info exists?

pdxrealtor

pdxrealtor

Audioholic Intern
The output is there with 2 PSA xv30s but I'm just not sure about those with all of the distortion.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Unfortunately, there is no data like that for the JTR subs. I'd love to see them get tested by Ricci though.

pdxrealtor

pdxrealtor

Audioholic Intern
Yes, that would be very helpful to me right about now. :)

pdxrealtor

pdxrealtor

Audioholic Intern
I thought about the DIY 18. Was looking at the TC sounds driver. I've thrown together a few sub boxes in my early day, but never used any bracing as it was never recommended for car audio. I see all of these home theater boxes with tons of intricate bracing, and that was a factor for me. I don't mind cutting and gluing a few panels but I'm not the best at getting intricate with wood working.

I ended up going with 2 PSA XV30fs. That should do the trick OK.

pddufrene

pddufrene

Audioholic
I thought about the DIY 18. Was looking at the TC sounds driver. I've thrown together a few sub boxes in my early day, but never used any bracing as it was never recommended for car audio. I see all of these home theater boxes with tons of intricate bracing, and that was a factor for me. I don't mind cutting and gluing a few panels but I'm not the best at getting intricate with wood working.

Make sure u let us know your thought and impression on those bad boys when u get them! :)

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord

Congrats. You won't regret a purchase like that.

pddufrene

pddufrene

Audioholic
Thanks both! They are scheduled to be here before 4pm. Already got the AVR hooked up and the xv30fs blue taped out on the floor.
Well I wish you luck trying to be productive until they arrive! ;) and congrats again can't wait to hear your reaction.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis