Help with speakers.

Rick Zeller

Rick Zeller

Audiophyte
I have a problem and I'm hoping someone on this forum can help. I'm a painter by trade and happened to be painting a lake house here in Tallahassee, Florida. A friend of mine who was also a part of the remodel was given a stereo system by the homeowner. He, in turn sold it to me for $80 bucks. It consists of 7 speakers a subwoofer and a Yamaha rx-v890 receiver. Being a novice, I began researching everything and found that the receiver was pretty impressive for it's time. Of which, I gave to a friend. As for the speakers... 4 of the 7 were RCA's (6 ohm 80~120w.) Question, I have no idea what that means. Can someone explain those numbers. The subwoofer is a M&k v-125 powered subwoofer and the 3 remaining speakers are 2 Definitive Bp-10's and Definitive Center (C) speaker. This system sat at the lake house for years and was used very little during occasional weekends, holidays and family gatherings. The entire system looks as, if thou, it was bought yesterday. The M&k subwoofer I found a printable owners manual online and it's approximate manufactures date. (1995 and/or before) Question, can anyone tell about the quality of the M&k v-125 powered subwoofer and when it was first produced. As for the Definitive speakers, I contacted Definitive Technology's main office and spoke with a tech and gave him the model and serial numbers of the speakers. He explained that they are original Bp-10's and (C) Center channel speakers. Manufactured between 1990/96. Then I asked, if possible, could you send me a owners manual along with spec and schematic information. He replied... "No, none of that information is available." I asked, why? He explained... "It predates the Internet. Therefore, none of that particular information would be available on the Internet." So, I looked... it's true! I've searched for weeks and can not find one owners manual for those speakers. Can someone on this forum help me locate a printable owners manual for the above named speakers. Any help concerning this matter would be greatly appreciated. Rick

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I found this review online, but I'm not sure they're the ones you're asking about. They did some measurements as well so there might be some useful information in there for you.

If I read it right when I skimmed then those are DefTech's first tower speakers? Kinda cool. I'm curious to hear them.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Pretty good score in any case. The manual is needed why for the speakers? Are the surrounds on the drivers in good shape? They sound good? Those some of the DefTec speakers with a powered woofer built in? The M&K sub should be pretty decent if in good shape.

The speakers were RCA brand? Or had RCA type connectors? I'm guessing the former. 6 ohm is their nominal impedance rating, the wattage range is some sort of power range, specifically what is hard to know (and doesn't matter all that much except probably exceeding it can yield damage).

ps some articles related to impedance

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
You don’t really need a manual for the Def Techs or any other speaker. Just hook them up. Just make sure the polarity is correct between the Yamaha and the speaker – i.e. red terminal to red terminal, black to black.

I haven’t used that particular M&K subwoofer, but it’s a good brand. Again, good score!

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I haven’t used that particular M&K subwoofer, but it’s a good brand. Again, good score!
Yeah no doubt. I would have bit on that offer, then have to invent a need for them... nearfield sub comes to mind right off...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis