Help with speaker volume setting

J

jayswizz

Junior Audioholic
Hello again,
I am using a Yamaha RX-V2500 as a preamp and I have a question about one of the settings in the setup menu. I have the option of setting the decible level for each speaker.(I have a 5.1 setup) I think I can set the range from +/- 10 decibles. I obviously can hear the volume of the speaker go up and down depending where I set the level. My speakers are all the same brand.(Paradigm Studio 60 V.3 fronts, CC-470 V.3, no sides yet) I also can set the decible level for my sub.(Paradigm PS-1000) Do these setting come more into play when you use mismatched speakers? Is there somewhat of a stock setting which most people use or does it depend on ones room acoustics? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Those settings are the 'channel trims'. They are what you adjust when you calibrate the receiver using the internal test tones (or AVIA/DVD discs) and an SPL meter. They are used to balance the levels so that each speaker plays at the same volume.

You cannot compare others settings to your own unless you have the exact same setup and exact same room.

You can search on 'calibration' or 'reference level' for more info or just ask further questions.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis