Help with speaker setup for patio/pool

J

JJ_Tex

Audiophyte
Hi all, first post but I'm hoping you can help me with setting up sound for our patio/pool.

Here is what I have currently:
- 1 receiver (old Sony, non bluetooth receiver), located inside the house, approx 10 feet from the patio, 25 feet from the pool
- 2 yamaha speakers, ceiling mounted on patio, hardwired to the receiver inside
- 1 TV wall mounted on the patio, will be able to see from the spa and most of the pool we are building

We are building a pool and I would like to be able to:
- Stream music from my phone while in the pool through the existing patio speakers
- Watch the outdoor tv from the pool, and be able to use the existing patio speakers to boost the sound
- Be able to add wireless outdoor speakers in the future

I would like to be able to use the existing equipment where possible, but am not opposed to buying a reasonably priced receiver or other equipment.

My initial thoughts are that I should buy 2 long range bluetooth transmitters/receivers. 1 can be in receiver mode, hooked up to the inside receiver and another can be in transmitter mode and hooked up to the outside TV. Would that work? AM I better off buying a new receiver? If so, do you have any recommendations on ones that have good bluetooth range? Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance. I also made a crude drawing below.

1562796074551.png

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
I don’t know that there is such a thing as “long range” Bluetooth receiver/transmitters, but that’s your best option for using your existing Sony receiver.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

J

JJ_Tex

Audiophyte
I don’t know that there is such a thing as “long range” Bluetooth receiver/transmitters, but that’s your best option for using your existing Sony receiver.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Thanks. This is what I was thinking of for "long range" bluetooth. It claims 300 ft range, which would be more than enough.

I also wouldnt mind a new receiver, but I worry about the bluetooth range, and I dont want to spend a fortune as I already have enough to buy with the pool.

Edit (I'm too new to post links, but here is the amazon description):

Miccus Proven 300ft Long Range Bluetooth Transmitter Receiver - $48.99

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Bluetooth adds delay and isn't designed for use with video. Be aware that many pieces of electronics really aren't designed for outdoor use either. So, beware of cheaper components that sound really good, because they often are far worse than you may hope for.

I would ensure I have quality speakers outside. You can jumper from one pair of speakers to a second pair if you want to provide four total speakers outside. This will give you as solid jump in overall performance and you can put a switch inline which turns those extra speakers on/off if you would like to. This way, you can have quieter gatherings near the TV or a louder party with all four speakers playing.

Wireless is not the solution. Wireless is RARELY the proper way to do things. Bluetooth only works up to a point and it only is designed for playback of audio files, not for video. Since you didn't list the exact model of your Sony receiver, it's hard to know what functionality and capability it has. A newer A/V receiver will offer IP control so you can download a app, change sources from your phone and adjust volume from your phone as well as stream audio from your phone to the receiver over your home's wi-fi connection. This is more reliable than Bluetooth solutions.

Bluetooth speakers near the pool will play back fine from a phone running locally to them, but trying to hook your receiver up and using the wired speakers will almost definitely introduce audio delays which are annoying. As well, you will need to power/charge those speakers and pull them out for use every single time you want to use them, which will soon turn into 'NEVER'. They won't be convenient.

I would definitely hard wire any speakers and make it as easy as possible to use them. Upgrade the speakers if you want more out of them. Consider a new receiver if you want streaming audio and an app to control the receiver.

J

JJ_Tex

Audiophyte
Thanks, a receiver with wifi sounds like a better option that what I was proposing.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis