HELP with setup for Pioneer Elite surround

P

PYEPYE

Enthusiast
Hello,

I recently bought a Pioneer VSX 82TXS elite reciever. I have hook it all up to my speakers all 7 channels so powered subwoofer Cerwin Vega centre speaker front right and left rear right and left and the rears.

I can only get the front 2 speakers to work no matter what I do. No center channel input no Sub, no surround sound and the receiver and TV will only work on in reciever PC mode everything is hooked up the way I hooked up a 100 receivers cannot get to work.

I factory reset the reciever, no joy, I called the guy I bought from he swears it works, I trust him, it was working in his house 5 days ago..

I'm sure I am doing something wrong

Help please....
I am using a after market harmony remote

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I would recommend using the pioneer remote. If it’s like the pioneer that I use in my BR system, you have to push the “receiver” button to activate the part of the remote that controls certain processor functions.
So, press “receiver” and the button that says “surround”. That should allow you to scroll through the different options.
Maybe...?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So you went on the Harmony site and programmed the remote for the gear involved and told it how you plan on using it?

Separately from that did you get the setup microphone with the avr to run MCACC? Did that/does that work?

P

PYEPYE

Enthusiast
I found the MCACC and calibrated the speakers with the room mic, now all the channels work, but I can only see the satellite feed if the reciever is in the PC selection? No clue....
When I power on the DVD player it switches my TV to HDMI 2 which is puzzling as the DVD is plugged into the HDMI3 on reciever, only one HDMI to the TV from the reciever...(HDMI OUT)
The DVD player doesn't touch the TV

Still working in it, I sure appreciate all of you inputs

Pyepye

P

PYEPYE

Enthusiast
I would recommend using the pioneer remote. If it’s like the pioneer that I use in my BR system, you have to push the “receiver” button to activate the part of the remote that controls certain processor functions.
So, press “receiver” and the button that says “surround”. That should allow you to scroll through the different options.
Maybe...?
Thats one of the problems, no remote, so I'm using the harmony hub remote system

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Satellite feed? You got a NASA dish or something?

List each piece of gear you're using with make/model and how they're connected might be a good start....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thats one of the problems, no remote, so I'm using the harmony hub remote system
But programmed okay for your gear? Might need to dig into options for some setup items, but you'd have to tell us what you can't get into compared to the manual....

ps You have reviewed the manual, right?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
If this is the one, it would be an easy choice. I use a harmony as well, but sometimes the factory remote is best.
Btw, glad you’re making progress.

Edit: Tapatalk didn’t like the link to eBay.
Anyway, it was 7 bucks.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Did you actually do any setup and configs on that Pio?

That Pio was new to the market ~15 years ago. So, have you ever set up an AVR of this vintage or newer?

Newer AVRs are much more complex than the old stuff, so if you don't have experience here, that is likely the problem. It isn't terribly difficult, but not quite trivial either!

I mentioned in your other thread, I have been running that same model Pio for ~15 years, several hours per day, every day! Was my main living room AVR for a long time, been on bedroom duty the last couple years. So, while its feature set is dated, it still a heck of a beastly AVR! My biggest complaint is that the thing is so dang big it will never fit in any modern AV furniture! Mine is on an open Sanus rack.

P

PYEPYE

Enthusiast
I love the Pioneer, got it for 70....lots of stuff to figure out, I am a born again audiophile from the 80s, so catching up quick

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I love the Pioneer, got it for 70....lots of stuff to figure out, I am a born again audiophile from the 80s, so catching up quick
$70 for that AVR is pretty good! Like I say, its bells and whistles are dated, but it has a robust amp section. When it was new, it was #2 in the Pio Elite AVR Hierarchy.

I bought mine as a new open box at the BB Magnolia for ~$900, and that was a heck of a deal back in 2006/2007.

The biggest reason I moved up to a Denon was just getting to the modern 4K capabilities, and the Denon HEOS capability is VERY NICE.

EDIT: If you are interested, this website did a review on it back in 2006. And, I almost forgot, but I work for a semiconductor manufacturer, and it happens to have one of our chips in it.

P

PYEPYE

Enthusiast
Thanks for the great advice,
I am running a Dennon AVR-891 in my workshop/garage and a Onkyo TX-NR708 in my Den/Classroom...I just love that era of big black attitude having AVRs.....
Just ordered new school cables to run all, 8K HDMI, good Sub wire, and bunch of good 12 Guage with banana tips, ,sheot is expensive these days, all in prep for the Samsung 82 QLED, 240......
Having fun

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis