Help with selecting a Spare TV

P

Philip

Enthusiast
Hi There

I am looking to get a second TV for the bedroom. I am only looking for a smaller one around the 20 to 27 inch range. It has been a while since I bought a TV which brands or features should I be looking for?

I plan to connect a VCR and in the future a DVD player, so maybe a 2nd input with S-video would be a good idea?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

J

jzac

Audioholic
Definitely S-video...

Philip, there are umpteen choices out there for you to select at a pretty decent price range. :) Personally, I stay clear from any Sony TV 'cause I think they are not worth the price, and are prone to be troublesome over the long run. You may want to look into the Panasonic, or Phillips range of TVs. I prefer the Panasonics 'cause they have always been excellent, and so is the price. I've own Sony Trinitron, Panasonic, RCA and Philips. Hope this helps. You can shop online for some good prices once you know what model you want. Yes, definitely get one with an S-video (1 or more) hookups. Good luck!

T

Tizeye

Enthusiast
With 27" CRT (assuming not considering a flat panel as a "spare"), the easy answer is which ever one is on sale. Generally focus on Panasonic, Toshiba, and even Sharp. (I won a 27" Sharp at and auto dealer random drawing and is a good set.) Which has the better picture quality as you review in the store? Be leery of RCA, GE, Zenith and Samsung due to poor repair records. Sony, while good, the price premium isn't worth it.

Most come with stereo speakers (as opposed to 25" sets), definately want S-video for dvd initially. Plus when you upgrade your home theater next year, where is that old receiver going?

WARNING: With a TV in the bedroom, during the most intimate moments, never ever, ever be caught with even the illusion that you were paying more attention to that other home run on the 27" screen! :D (BTW - Not the voice of experience -- just what I have heard. ;) )

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
Hitachi

Does Hitachi still make TVs? I've had a 25" Hitachi (do not remember the model number, but I bought it at Sears, the TV has a Sears label, but the paper work indicates Hitachi) since 83. It has been abused in all kinds of messy and sordid ways and has never faltered,ever.

It had composite video inputs when there was normally only F-type cable connections. It has a switch and DB25 port to use as a computer monitor (when there were only monochrome monitors).

Anyway, I'm not looking for a TV, but if this was available 20 years ago, do they still have the same QA?

J

jzac

Audioholic
HItachi has been making TVs for ages...and are still one of the good companies to go with for a big screen TV. You don't hear or see that much marketing push by them, but it's good stuff they come out with. I know people who own it for years and they swear by it.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I'm kinda of the opinion lately that these are pretty much a commodity, paerticularly when using it in a less than critical situation liket bedroom. Most sets can be tweaked to give a pretty good picture if you learn the basic menu fuctions.

My criteria is price, needed I/O and general realibility, in no particular order. IOW, I'd be looking to find a 27" CRT for under $300.

P

Philip

Enthusiast
Thanks for all the advice.

I will start looking for some sets this weekend. I just need to wait until the right one comes on sale. Looking at your posts Toshiba and Panasonic are the brand to go with.

Last edited:
rgriffin25

rgriffin25

Not only does sony want more money for their products they have some reliability issues. I would suggest Toshiba and JVC. From what I have seen, JVC tvs are dependable and you get alot of features for the money.

P

Philip

Enthusiast
I went to Future Shop today and was looking at the Toshiba 24AF44 for $379.99 CDN. Good TV?

I was also looking at the A&B Sound website (local retailer) and they have a Panasonic Tau CT20SL13 ($369.99 CDN) or Panasonic Panablack CT27E13 ($449.00 CDN). What is the difference between the panasonic Tau and Panablack line-ups? Is one better then the other?

Last edited:
M

MarkOcena

Audioholic Intern
In my opinion, the top three performing TV manufacturers are Panasonic, Toshiba, and Sony (not in that order). The Toshibas are usually the least expensive of the three, with Panasonic in the middle. Sony TV still look good, but I think the newest Panasonics have the best black levels by a little bit. Still a hard decision between the three; used to be much easier to pick the best. Get the one that is on sale. Here are the model numbers for the new 2004 models (very little has changed from '03 to '04):
Panasonic - CT-27SL14
Sony - KV27FS120
Toshiba - 27AF44

Panasonic Tau label refers to their flat screen TVs. Panablack are the high constrast picture tubes they call their picture tubes. Although these tubes appear in both flat (CT-27SL14) and non-flat (CT-27E13, last year) models, the non-flat TV line gets this name.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis