Help with room treatment! Also new ARC calibration!

WineOfTheVeins

WineOfTheVeins

Audioholic
Hi there everyone, long time no talk!

I recently moved and have my listening setup in the large, open basement. It is nice because I can listen as loud as I want, only problem is I am noticing some harsh brightness from my system. It is fatiguing after a good 45 minutes of listening. I feel like the highs are a bit shrill, and the bass isn't as deep and punchy anymore. The ceiling is open joist spaces, walls do not have drywall but have insulation and studs, floor is concrete, windows have no curtains and are near the top of the walls in my basement. Dimensions are approx. 25 feet wide by 20 feet long by 9 foot ceilings.

Also, Anthem came out with a new updated version of ARC - Anthem Room Correction software. It is incredible what it can do. I have ran the calibration with my current room setup. Haven't had much time to play around with it more, but there are tons of options you can change with it now. (Red lines on ARC graph show my measured results, black line is target, green line is where it corrected it to. The ARC helped a lot, but there is only so much it can do with bad room acoustics. I can will attach the graph along with the room layout.

I made a pretty detailed drawing of my current situation, I was wondering if you fine people could please help me with suggestions as to help make my room sound better. Only thing I have done so far is add an area rug, hang the 2 homemade 2x4 acoustic panels that have Safe n' Sound stuffed inside, (I have 2 more I am making). Would putting panels on the front wall behind the speakers do anything since the back wall is so far away? The chair is a leather office chair, would putting a pillow behind my head help? Would making this area into a room with a back and left wall help or make it worse? Would it help if I drywalled the basement?

I would greatly appreciate the help and input! Thx <3

Attachments

Last edited:
carlthess40

carlthess40

Audioholic
First thing I would do is move your speakers out of that hole . Try placing them on the short wall facing down the long wall. Sorry about the poor edit on your photo
Placing them in the left side of your photo facing to the right will help you some and also place some rugs on the floor and anything soft on the walls.
Where you have them at now is making the sound waves bounce back at you from all sides. Try clapping your hands and hear how it sounds. Then place some rugs and soft items on the walls and corners and then clap and see if the echoes subside. You have the speakers set up in a way that makes sound just bouncing back-and-forth all around you causing the high frequencies and the lack of bass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WineOfTheVeins

WineOfTheVeins

Audioholic
Thanks for the reply. What if I pulled the speakers forward where they are so they aren't buried in that hole so much? I will try the clapping technique tonight. I have seen worse room setups than this, with couches covering the speakers etc, I didn't think the position was that bad. I just blamed most of it on the unfinished walls, concrete floors, unfinished ceilings etc.

One of the other reasons I put the speakers where they are is because I have my 5.1 surround where you propose the speakers go. If I moved the speakers to where the home theater stuff is, I won't have any place to put my rear surround speakers.

Attachments

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis