Help With Roku 2 XS

ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
Just picked up a Roku 2 XS and I've figured out how to stream my .MKV movies to the tv (they look great btw!), but I can't figure out how to get my audio streaming. Pretty much all my audio files are in WAV format. I can't seem to "see" them when trying to add "Music" to my MediaManager.

Am I doing something wrong? I can add the files to Itunes so if there's an channel for Itunes on the Roku then that'll work too. I would just like to be able to play my audio and I could have sworn I saw that Roku 2 XS accepts WAV files.

HELP! :eek:

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
It can only do AAC and MP3.

Use an encoder to make 320kbps MP3s but don't discard the WAVs.

I'm seeing an option that involves setting up Plex Media Server and the Plex channel.

ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
Well shoot. I could have sworn I saw it could play FLAC/WAV.

Well I'm still well within the return window...My 2 goals were:

1. To be able to stream .mkv or HD movies/files from my PC
2. To be able to stream wav/flac audio

Would another streaming device be better for this? I know AppleTV will play Itunes (and wav can be added to Itunes), but I don't think it will play .mkv files. I'm assuming you have to load the movie into Itunes correct?

Some people have told me to jailbreak it and run XBMC, but I don't really want to get into all that stuff and mess something up.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I have no experience with Apple TV, but, it is certainly an option. Especially, if your media is sourced by and managed in iTunes. I am not sure if it very flexible with non iTunes media types/formats.

Another option is the WD TV might be your answer. Its player is capable of picking up flies on local network computers and drives. Here are the formats it supports,

Video - AVI (Xvid, AVC, MPEG1/2/4), MPG/MPEG, VOB, MKV (h.264, x.264, AVC, MPEG1/2/4, VC-1), TS/TP/M2T (MPEG1/2/4, AVC, VC-1), MP4/MOV (MPEG4, h.264), M2TS, WMV9, FLV (h.264)
Photo - JPEG, GIF, TIF/TIFF, BMP, PNG
Audio - MP3, WAV/PCM/LPCM, WMA, AAC, FLAC, MKA, AIF/AIFF, OGG, Dolby Digital, DTS
Playlist - PLS, M3U, WPL
Subtitle - SRT, ***, SSA, SUB, SMI

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
There is a slingbox channel, that will stream audio, you have to also install the slingbox server on your computer. I'm not 100% sure that it does wav :confused:

ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the help guys :D

I have no experience with Apple TV, but, it is certainly an option. Especially, if your media is sourced by and managed in iTunes. I am not sure if it very flexible with non iTunes media types/formats.

Another option is the WD TV might be your answer. Its player is capable of picking up flies on local network computers and drives. Here are the formats it supports,

Video - AVI (Xvid, AVC, MPEG1/2/4), MPG/MPEG, VOB, MKV (h.264, x.264, AVC, MPEG1/2/4, VC-1), TS/TP/M2T (MPEG1/2/4, AVC, VC-1), MP4/MOV (MPEG4, h.264), M2TS, WMV9, FLV (h.264)
Photo - JPEG, GIF, TIF/TIFF, BMP, PNG
Audio - MP3, WAV/PCM/LPCM, WMA, AAC, FLAC, MKA, AIF/AIFF, OGG, Dolby Digital, DTS
Playlist - PLS, M3U, WPL
Subtitle - SRT, ***, SSA, SUB, SMI
Yeah it seems like WDLive has a lot more capability than Roku 2 XS. I really don't care about streaming channels, etc etc. I just need something to be able to stream audio/video from my PC in WAV/mkv respectively. Seems like WDlive will do it.

Supposedly all you have to do with AppleTV is take the MKV file into a M4V file, which can easily be done with MP4tools or Handbrake. Looks like I'll be going with one of those instead

There is a slingbox channel, that will stream audio, you have to also install the slingbox server on your computer. I'm not 100% sure that it does wav :confused:
Do I just search for a "channel" online or on the roku interface on the tv named Slingbox? I'll check it out. Thanks!

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
Do I just search for a "channel" online or on the roku interface on the tv named Slingbox? I'll check it out. Thanks!
Sorry the channel is called MainSqueeze, you can load it right from the roku channel listing, you will need to download the squeesebox server from logitech for your computer

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I just need something to be able to stream audio/video from my PC in WAV/mkv respectively... Supposedly all you have to do with AppleTV is take the MKV file into a M4V file, which can easily be done with MP4tools or Handbrake. Looks like I'll be going with one of those instead
This might be the easy way out.

V

vincentkirkwood

Audiophyte
iDealshare VideoGo is just the right Roku Converter which has both Mac and Windows version! It helps to convert various AVI, VOB, TS, WMV, MOV, 3GP, RMVB, WTV, Apple ProRes, AVCHD, MXF, DV, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, ASF, FLV, WebM, and etc to Roku supported video format.

itschris

itschris

I run PLEX on my main computer in my office. I have PLEX app on my iPad so whem I'm sitting on my couch, I just open PLEX, select the movie I want, and select AirPlay. It works great, no issues.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
For those who don't know, Roku 2 recently had a big update that made everything startup quicker. Netflix starts up the quickest I've seen it, but still not 5.1 for anything on mine. Prime is 5.1 though.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis