Help with receiver to buy

D

dlink

Audiophyte
I am looking for info on what type of receiver I should buy. As we all know going into a retial store they will try to tell you that you need this one ($1000.00). I have just finished a 2 year project gutting and designing out basement from ground up. I have purchased a pair od Athena as-f1 for a starter and will add as I go. I would like to know if I need or should purchase a receiver that has thx? Yes I am know to this.... I play on adding the rest of the speakers in the very near future and would like to get myt money worth on a good quailty yamaha rec. but I dont a 799.00 receiver unless that 799 rec. can be found for less on the web. I have a area in my basement which is 22x12 for my home theater area. I just don't trust sales people when it comes to info. I also am looking for a honest place on the web that can provided fair prices for good equipment. I have seen the Yamaha 5790-rx-v1400/2400/2500 etc etc. Can some one provide me with some direction in making a good call on what I really need yo get. I dont need the best system in the world but I like to buy quality stuff but dont need to go that crazy. I just spent 8000.00 on my entire basement remodel. buy the way my basement total size is 1800 sq feet just a note.

Thanks for you help

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
Hopes this helps explain about THX.

THX is just a certification process.

Much like any other certification, it costs money to have your equipment certified, and for using the THX name on your products.

A reviewer once posted that many manufacturers do not seek THX certification because they feel that they can not afford the fees, or that the THX certification would greatly add to the selling price of an entry level, or mid level piece of equipment, and that the unit he was reviewing met or exceeded every THX parameter, but was not THX certified.

Makes sense, being THX certified does not automatically make a unit a better piece of equipment. Remember, THX certification is more than specific performance measurements, there are also specific features that must be included.

There is another issue, any certification process usually has a minimum manufacturing requirement... a company that makes design changes on an active basis (real changes, or just marketing changes so they can have a new model number), or does not make enough units of that model, may not be able to meet the manufacturing requirements, even though, the unit actually exceeds the certification requirements.

I am comparing several $1000 to $2000 receivers, and not one of them is THX certified.

D

dlink

Audiophyte
So in the yamaha line of receivers do you have any suggestions on a quailty receiver without having to go over board price wise, but going with a unit that I can ad to in the future. do I really need a 5790 over a 5760 or is a rx-vxxxx line better. Like I said I am new but would like a quailty yamaha receive with out going broke.

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
I am not familiar enough with Yammy to suggest a specific receiver.

There is one issue that everybody must remember.

Wants versus needs.

As an example....

What I want... Porsche 911

What I need.... A car to drive to work.

Seriously, the midline receiver, $500 to $1200, is all that any of us really need. That is a big price range and the issue is not power performance (who really cares if it is a 80w per channel, or a 110w per channel), but power supplys, noise isolation, dynamic headroom, and all of the bells and whistles that make life funner.

Find something in the midline receivers with the bells and whistles that you really need, plus some of the wants, and you will have a great receiver.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Sound like your choices could include the 5790, RX-V1500, RX-V2400, Pioneer VSX-1014, Denon AVR2105 (may be even the 2805 if you can find it cheap somewhere). I read enough about the 5790 being the same as the RX-V1400 inside. It may be true.

There seem to be fans of ARCAM, and NAD fans here who think they are musically better than the more popular Yamaha and Denon but they do cost more here in North America. If you read the U.K magazines though you will find that they don't seem to share the same view but if you care more for music, check them out for yourself. Harman Kardon models also have the reputation of better in music and if you are in the U.S., you can get good street prices for the outgoing AVRX30 series, otherwise for $799 you may have to settle for the less powerful AVR235, may be the 335 but not higher.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis