Help with putting a 2.1 system for my uncle hard of hearing

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
I saw my uncle today and realized that he struggles to hear his tv. He is in his upper 80’s and needs better audio but simple to use. I was considering a pair of Martin Logan 35xti coupled with a SVS pb3000. What to drive this with? His wife, my aunt, has normal hearing. Bluetooth connection to Uncle’s hearing aid a bonus. Use KISS principle in use and quality of the components. I know my Sprout 100 is not liked here but it is simple to use. Any ideas? Area TV is in is intimate but is open to both the kitchen and the living room which are huge. A sealed woofer just won’t do. What is important also is faithful replication of the audio. He does have a cable box.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
First off- I think it's great your helping out your uncle.
Secondly- just because some people here are not to fond of the Sprout, doesn't mean it wouldn't be suitable for your uncles situation.
Thirdly- just get some efficient speakers ( no need to try and get the best quality, since im sure he wouldn't know the difference anyway) maybe compression driver. You can get a ported sub, but i have a feeling he might enjoy a sealed sub placed up close even more.
But good luck in the numerous choices you can go with and coo do's for helping out the uncle.

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
I am trying to keep the spending at 3k. I might get his kids and grandkids to chip in. I don’t want massive money for this as I am certain that it would be missed by the rest of the family. By the way he has 8 kids. My aunt was also interested in what I did say when with them.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Forget the sub. In context to desired results, as well as audio source, there's no point to a sub and, in fact, the sub might preclude the out come you are seeking.

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
Forget the sub. In context to desired results, as well as audio source, there's no point to a sub and, in fact, the sub might preclude the out come you are seeking.
Knowing my uncle and what hearing he does have, and the fact that his wife enjoys excellence, my family knows of my prior work as a broadcast engineer. Some of their willingness is due to my experience. The 3K does have a bit of stretch in it if it can be justified. Personally I am running a set in my office of a SB3000 SVS subwoofer, a set of Martin Logan LX-16's and a Sprout 100. Current pricing of what I am thinking of is $700 for the Sprout 100, $525 per speaker for a total of $1050 for a pair of 35XTi Martin Logan bookshelf speakers, and a SVS PB-3000 for $1400. Knowing the size of the room, reflections are not an issue. This IMHO is well within what they can afford and should be comparable to my current system. This is an example of what I am thinking of and I can demo what I have to give them an idea of what they can expect.

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
Doing some reading, the Klipsch 5's might be a way to go. The problem is Klipsch reputation. I am having problems with it. Anyone use them personally? Have you added a sub on these?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I don't use them, I don't own them, but I've heard them twice in two separate locations. And I was impressed. Anybody that knows my recommendations knows that I do not like Klipsch. I've always said that their subwoofers suck. I'm not a fan of their speakers. Now the Heritage line is definitely a whole different animal. And I know these fives aren't the Heritage series but their sound quality is very good not fatiguing not forward.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
In multiple installations I've worked with, the proper solution for someone who is hard of hearing is not speakers which blow out the other people in the home, but headphones of sufficient quality and isolation to deliver the best possible audio to the single person who is hard of hearing.

Using the optical output of the TV, passing stereo audio or supported surround sound formats to the headphones allows the individual to tailor their audio to their own specific needs and nobody else in the house is killed with audio that isn't necessary or desired.

If this hasn't been done, then this is the first thing I would recommend.

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
My uncle has bluetooth hearing aids that work like headphones.

D

Dan_Cronstein

Audiophyte
Zvox makes soundboard that enhance the dialog.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

D

Dan_Cronstein

Audiophyte
Sorry...soundbar

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Knowing my uncle and what hearing he does have, and the fact that his wife enjoys excellence, my family knows of my prior work as a broadcast engineer. Some of their willingness is due to my experience. The 3K does have a bit of stretch in it if it can be justified. Personally I am running a set in my office of a SB3000 SVS subwoofer, a set of Martin Logan LX-16's and a Sprout 100. Current pricing of what I am thinking of is $700 for the Sprout 100, $525 per speaker for a total of $1050 for a pair of 35XTi Martin Logan bookshelf speakers, and a SVS PB-3000 for $1400. Knowing the size of the room, reflections are not an issue. This IMHO is well within what they can afford and should be comparable to my current system. This is an example of what I am thinking of and I can demo what I have to give them an idea of what they can expect.
As a broadcast engineer you know the problem with deep bass precluding hearing impaired persons from from hearing higher frequencies in a manner that allows them to define the sound message. This was my concern.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis