Help with Processor/Cable Box/OLED TV connection options

64Chevy

Audiophyte
Hi all. First post here. I am trying to figure out how to configure my system, and would like some help please. Here's the bottom line--I would like opinions as to which I should choose: 1) cable box -> processor -> TV (via HDMI ARC) or 2) cable box -> TV -> processor (via optical)?

I'm sure my system is tame, but here is what I have: Comcast 4K cable box, Marantz AV7701 processor, LG OLED TV, Krell/Marantz/Emotiva amps running 5 zones (with vintage ADS, Paradigm, Aperion, and Niles speakers). The TV is in one spot, the cable box/processor is in another spot, and the amps are in another room. Just moved back into the house after a remodel--the TV is new.

AFAIK, the Marantz does not support passive HDMI throughput (meaning if it is off, the HDMI signal cannot flow threw it). I am currently hooked us as example 1 above. The problem is to just watch TV (say the news) I have to turn on the processor, which via 12V triggers turns on all of the amps in the other room, I have turn on the LG TV with its remote, and then I can control things with the Comcast remote (except for volume, which requires the Marantz remote--although I suspect I could configure the Comcast remote to do Marantz volume vs LG volume). It is worth noting that my wife likes hearing the fidelity but not seeing the components. So I can manage things with an IR blaster but here's the bottom line: I'd like to be able to turn on the just the LG TV, and use the LG's internal speakers for banal stuff like watching the news. This eliminates the need to use the Marantz processor remote, and keeps all of the amps from needing to turn on (which is both a longevity concern and a heat concern during summer).

But, to do that I think I need to wire things like 2 in the first paragraph above. This avoids having to turn on the processor, and all of the 12V triggered amps. But I lose 2 things doing this--I don't get the Marantz's video upscaling capability, and I believe I lose some digital audio options by the path being cable box -> TV -> Marantz processor (the last connection via a digital optical cable).

So the bottom line is I wonder if I am missing something. If I have things right it may be three remotes and amps on on one hand, versus two remotes but decreased video and audio clarity on the other. I know I am clearly in over my head, and would appreciate any help. I'm sure I haven't provided all of the needed info, so please ask.

64Chevy

Audiophyte
NINaudio: Thank You for your assistance. I'll give this a try tonight. I may have another question--my Comcast box also has a cable out. I'm wondering if I could run that cable out to the TV and just switch sources at the TV to accomplish what I want to do.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
...could run that cable out to the TV and just switch sources at the TV to accomplish what I want to do.
You do not want to do this. You definitely want to use HDMI passthrough when the system is off if you demand that the TV run things directly.

In reality, you want to turn your gear on when you use your system. This is what good remote controls were designed for. It is WHY you have good speakers. Not to blow the house down, but to make simple shows like the news sound better to listeners.

64Chevy

Audiophyte
BMXTRIX--I understand your viewpoint, and appreciate your response. The main issue is that the amps are in my office, and the produce a lot of heat--lovely in the winter, not so great in the summer. It is only the cost of a 10-15 dollar HDMI cable to test the "TV running things" hook up. I think I'll give that a whirl--nothing doing it that way means I can't turn on the rest of the system to use the good speakers, and there may be an argument that the video chips in my 6 month old TV are better than the video chips in 6 year old processor (although sound would still use the DAC's in the processor).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis