help with preouts vsx 70 elite

R

rasputin69

Audiophyte
I have recently been trying to slowly accumulate pieces for my theater system which I mainly use for surround music this pioneer Elite vsx 70 fell into my lap my current setup was on a Yamaha 7.1 with definitive db8 fronts, pioneer HPM 60 as center, polk fix3 bipolar surrounds, some anniversary cerwin Vegas on rear with separate amp powering and two powered subs in front left right near definitives I use the cerwins in the back as sort of the third and fourth subwoofers I have sitting in a box waiting for me some JBL arena 60s ceiling speakers that I was waiting till I could get an Atmos receiver to install but now that I see this elite has front height channelsbut the guide says if you use front height you cannot have rear. But also has pre-outs for front channel my question is can I use these pre-ups to a different amp for the front speakers and still be able to use the rear essentially creating a 9.2 system and if not then what would be anyone's suggestion as to how to set this up

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That is one helluva run-on sentence!

It seems your avr can only process up to 7.1 channels at a given time. You could connect additional speakers and use them as mode permits (i.e. Dolby IIx for rear surrounds, Dolby IIz for front height/wides). I had a Pioneer similar to this and connected 9 speakers while I decided whether to go with rear surrounds or front heights. You can't actually get 9.1 processing with this avr, tho. Various connection possibilities start in the manual on page 18 https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Home/VSX-70_OperatingInstructions021313.pdf

R

rasputin69

Audiophyte
That is one helluva run-on sentence!

It seems your avr can only process up to 7.1 channels at a given time. You could connect additional speakers and use them as mode permits (i.e. Dolby IIx for rear surrounds, Dolby IIz for front height/wides). I had a Pioneer similar to this and connected 9 speakers while I decided whether to go with rear surrounds or front heights. You can't actually get 9.1 processing with this avr, tho. Various connection possibilities start in the manual on page 18 https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Home/VSX-70_OperatingInstructions021313.pdf
Thanks I did read through that myself that's where I learned that if you used the height channels you could not use the rear. So if I set mine up using the rear channels is there any way to use the pre-outs designated front as front height or is this simply mimic the full range front channel or crossed over front channel. If I set my device to use front height does that change what is output on these front pre-outs?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you connect something to front height pre-outs but are in a mode that doesn't provide signal to such, it won't do anything. So to get something to the front height pre-outs you'd need to use Dolby PLiiz that provides matrixing for such (there is no natural content), but you'd lose the rear surrounds as it wouldn't support both at the same time....

R

rasputin69

Audiophyte
So do you think with the components that I have listed it would be worth using this pioneer to get the DTs neo x and Dolby z and lose the rear channels essentially losing my extra pair of subwoofers that way it seems

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I preferred having rear surrounds over front heights myself, try it both ways and see if you have a preference whether you use the Dolby or DTS upmixers for both speaker formats; personally I use Dolby more than DTS, too. It won't be Atmos either way. I wouldn't call the powered woofers in the speakers "subs" myself and would recommend looking into actual subs in the long run....

R

rasputin69

Audiophyte
Yes I definitely would like to have two more powered subwoofers but CVs dont start rolling off until 30 Hertz and have a 300 watt rating at 90 DB sensitivity having them on their own separate amp bridged I got 200 Watts a piece going to each of them and full equalizer control I would put them up against any of the entry level to low mid-range powered subs with the benefit of also being full range

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What models are they? 300 watt at 90dB sensitivity could yield a fairly high spl, altho of what quality? What extension compared to a real sub? IMO subs don't start rolling off until 20hz. YMMV :) Depends on what you're used to. Why are you bridging? You don't need the lower impedance with those?

R

rasputin69

Audiophyte
The bridging is for the extra wattage i do not have any premium equipment

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis