Help with my speaker placement

H

hrtbeat2

Audioholic
Ok, I've read the above links before posting :D . My question is my room is very small but has high ceilings. My viewing area is maybe (from the speakers to me) about 8ft. behind me is 4 1/2ft. My total living area that I watch TV is about 16 ft by 20ft. Right now I'm running my 42" TV up on a 1ft stand, and my center channel sits right above so total ft from the floor is 5ft. Now my Left/Right fronts sit above this area by aleast 2 1/2-3ft. These speakers are seperated by aleast 5 1/2-6ft. My rear is a single speaker sitting on top of the bar behind me, and my surrounds are in front of me but off to the side at about a 60 degrees from center of the couch. Speakers are B&W DM302 for my left.right, B&W CC3 center channel, and My surrounds are KLH loudspeaker 3-way with replacement speakers(12'kenwood sub,4 1/2 mirage mid, 1'Boston tweeter) I know that these speakers(surrounds) are POT LUCK, but this is all I have. Would I be better off bringing the fronts down some from about 7 1/2ft to 4 1/2 to 5ft? or should I make the 3-way KLH my fronts and bring the DM302 out on speaker stands for my surrounds? The other thing I was looking at was buying a used set of DM302 or DM601 and using them for surrounds and just using the KLH for Zone 2. The thing that stinks about my system is the rear surround. I love hearing 6.1 but the rear speaker drives me CRAZY because it's not mounted up above but my living area isn't made that way :( Any ideals, and sorry for so much posting on the board but I don't like throwing $$ away.
I did some homework and the kenwoods are kenwood KFC-W3005 SUBS.
Sen:93db
peak power:700 watts
imped: 4ohm
freq resp 25 hz-800hz

Last edited:

plhart

Audioholic
I'd suggest bringing your left front and right front down to the level of the center so that left-to-right pan effects sound coherent with what you see on the screen. For your surrounds which are a bit in front of you at those (only) 60 degree angles try pointing them back toward your kitchen to see if you can get a "sound bounce" effect at your listening position. The left an right surrounds are not meant to be localizable. For your single rear surround try either doing without it (if the bounce effect works well enongh for the left and right surrounds) or tilt it way back and bounce the sound off the ceiling and back down to your listening position. Good Luck...

H

hrtbeat2

Audioholic
Thanks, I know the next house we build I will be looking at how the TV viewing area is layed out. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis