Help with my center speaker

J

jdp1980

Enthusiast
I did a thing. Went up to Best Buy, grabbed a mount on sale and installed the TV on the wall, moving the center on top of the entertainment center and slightly tilting it upward to face my ears with rubber feet. Just calibrated, will test it out later today. Now I need to get used to the TV being higher lol

Attachments

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The tv still looks to be in the right height range at least....which rack is that behind the couch?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hollywood Racks, only bike rack that can support up to 80 lb ebikes
The hoops on the rack looked a bit large so wasn't sure it was for a bike vs some other gear. There are other racks that can deal with heavy bikes, tho....altho my e mtn bike is a slim 48 lbs my Thule 2 place rack is fine, and on the 4 place Thule rack in the position closest to the hitch works well (both 2" receivers, one in front of the van, the other in back, then there are the 9 individual trays on the roof....but I did an 70 lb rig up there once and just don't want to lift one up there again :) ).

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I did a thing. Went up to Best Buy, grabbed a mount on sale and installed the TV on the wall, moving the center on top of the entertainment center and slightly tilting it upward to face my ears with rubber feet. Just calibrated, will test it out later today. Now I need to get used to the TV being higher lol
I have that same center and love it!! ASR did a review on that very same center channel speaker. He even posted up his test results and they are impressive to say the least. He even stated in his conclusion of a recommendation. As a matter of fact I have almost the same speaker line. 60 Signature Series and 4 S15's. But I didn't think to use two placed on top as up firing. How umm how can I ask the right question, do they move? Meaning at higher volume levels say like reference levels what's to keep them from falling off? Oh I'm in the front hight camp, 6ft up the front wall as suggest by Dolby.

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I have that same center and love it!! ASR did a review on that very same center channel speaker. He even posted up his test results and they are impressive to say the least. He even stated in his conclusion of a recommendation. As a matter of fact I have almost the same speaker line. 60 Signature Series and 4 S15's. But I didn't think to use two placed on top as up firing. How umm how can I ask the right question, do they move? Meaning at higher volume levels say like reference levels what's to keep them from falling off? Oh I'm in the front hight camp, 6ft up the front wall as suggest by Dolby.
Good to see ya mike.
If I’m not mistaken 6’ was for the old PLIIZ “presence” speaker, while front height for Atmos is 30-45°. That’s also for x.x.4.
x.x.2 would have them like 80° forward, or just a little in front of the listener.
Also, regular BS speakers don’t work for upfiring for a few reasons, so imo you wouldn’t have been satisfied.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Good to see ya mike.
If I’m not mistaken 6’ was for the old PLIIZ “presence” speaker, while front height for Atmos is 30-45°. That’s also for x.x.4.
x.x.2 would have them like 80° forward, or just a little in front of the listener.
Also, regular BS speakers don’t work for upfiring for a few reasons, so imo you wouldn’t have been satisfied.
@William Lemmerhirt oh dam! Wait a minute, so what I have set isn't the right hight? Your right they are called front present. So my front present should Not be 6ft right above L/R mains? Going check out Dolby's site. My setup is just like this, I couldn't get them outside, but not exactly the way they are in the pic, space limited. They're setup above L/R mains. And sub is on the inside of my left main. Again space limited, my living room is only 10 1/2 wide by 14ft deep. I should state not exactly though mains are 9ft apart, toed-in about 15 degrees, rear surrounds are setup like pic about 1ft above ear level. Wait a minute, it does state, front present speakers in front hight position. Who's right? Yamaha or Dolby?
Screenshot_20220721-174320~2.png

My forever speakers when I become, rich and famous.;)
Screenshot_20220721-174146~2.png

RBH who? :D

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
@William Lemmerhirt oh dam! Wait a minute, so what I have set isn't the right hight? Your right they are called front present. So my front present should Not be 6ft right above L/R mains? Going check out Dolby's site. My setup is just like this, I couldn't get them outside, but exactly the way they are on the in the pic, space limited.They setup above L/R mains. And sub is on the inside of my left main. Again space limited, my living room is only 10 1/2 wide by 14ft deep.
View attachment 56986
Well now I have to think a minute. I forgot you have an a4a. Yamaha STILL calls height speakers “presence”(fukkin yamaha and the way they label shitt lol). I guess technically if you’re at 30° or more it would work ok.

This is dolbys recommendation for .2 heights/tops.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Well who’s right? I’d say Dolby since they came up with it lol!

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Well now I have to think a minute. I forgot you have an a4a. Yamaha STILL calls height speakers “presence”(fukkin yamaha and the way they label shitt lol). I guess technically if you’re at 30° or more it would work ok.

This is dolbys recommendation for .2 heights/tops.
Thats what I was thinking f..king Yamaha..to this day, I still have issues with Yamaha wording.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Edit:
Actually mike @Replicant 7, I would try side height in your room since it’s pretty narrow. That would give you some very nice overhead sound, and would tie into the rest of the bed layer better.
Andrew said the same thing, he said put them close to the ceiling about 4 to 5ft in front of the rear surrounds. Oh and tilt them down a little bit like about 15 to 20 degrees.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Andrew said the same thing, he said put them close to the ceiling about 4 to 5ft in front of the rear surrounds. Oh and tilt them down a little bit like about 15 to 20 degrees.
I’m sure you need a project!!! Truth is, I believe it would be totally worth it.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I’m sure you need a project!!! Truth is, I believe it would be totally worth it.
Yeah, William it isn't like I have a whole lot going on in my world. Let's see, No Job, √ No Wife √ one girl friend Red light Rida counts right? √ umm all the time to do whatever √, yeah gonna do that tonight if I don't fall asleep on the sofa watching Yellowstone tonight. ;) thanks for the heads-up brother great hearing from you as always!

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, William it isn't like I have a whole lot going on in my world. Let's see, No Job, √ No Wife √ one girl friend Red light Rida counts right? √ umm all the time to do whatever √, yeah gonna do that tonight if I didn't fall asleep on the sofa watching Yellowstone tonight. ;) thanks for the heads-up brother great hearing from you as always!
Have fun with Yellowstone. I haven’t started it yet, but am really looking forward to it. REALLY!!! Yeah red light Rita counts. Best part is you don’t have to have a spot for her toothbrush and she won’t be taking over the damn closet.
No worries, I’d really like to hear what you think if you do try side height.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Have fun with Yellowstone. I haven’t started it yet, but am really looking forward to it. REALLY!!! Yeah red light Rita counts. Best part is you don’t have to have a spot for her toothbrush and she won’t be taking over the damn closet.
No worries, I’d really like to hear what you think if you do try side height.
Your in for a treat with Yellowstone!! I'm not saying anything. I'll say I'm on my 3rd rewatch of the whole 4 seasons it's that good.

W

Wardog555

Full Audioholic
Sigh. On the ceiling literally above you like in the dolbys diagram. And no it does not to be in line with the fronts.

Ignore front heights completely.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Since the center channel handles most of the dialog it pays to have it near the screen. You don't need to raise it or lower it as long as it is aimed at the listening position.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis