HELP WITH MODS TO MTX AAL 2230's

O

Outlaw9

Audiophyte
I am currently in the process of trying to modify a nice set of MTX AAL 2230's. The original midranges are dead and replacement speakers don't have a solid back to baffle them from the woofers. When you start to drive them they distort because of the no baffle and the midrange flops like the driver. I am thinking my first step is to modify the cabinet. I know these speakers don't have crossovers just filters I am open to adding cross overs. If I go all out here are the following questions
  1. What is a good 3 way cross over?
  2. What is a good midrange?
  3. What is the best way to baffle the midrange?
  4. What is a good horn tweeter to replace the existing if it can be improved on?
I am driving them with a Rotel 1090 that is 380 watts RMS so all components must be top quality.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I am currently in the process of trying to modify a nice set of MTX AAL 2230's. The original midranges are dead and replacement speakers don't have a solid back to baffle them from the woofers. When you start to drive them they distort because of the no baffle and the midrange flops like the driver. I am thinking my first step is to modify the cabinet. I know these speakers don't have crossovers just filters I am open to adding cross overs. If I go all out here are the following questions
  1. What is a good 3 way cross over?
  2. What is a good midrange?
  3. What is the best way to baffle the midrange?
  4. What is a good horn tweeter to replace the existing if it can be improved on?
I am driving them with a Rotel 1090 that is 380 watts RMS so all components must be top quality.
A "filter" is a crossover, just a very simple one.

It could cost more to do what you propose than buying a better pair of speakers.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It WILL cost as much as buying new speakers, but it could be a fun project. The problem with designing a x-over is, it isn't that simple if your goal is a great sounding speaker. The drivers need to be chosen together to work well and picking an off the shelf x-over isn't the way to get the drivers to work well together. If you want to experiment with building a speaker, I'd start with a kit rather than trying to rebuild something like this.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis