Help with Marantz SR7010 Video Board

jcrowde3

jcrowde3

Junior Audioholic
First off, I want to thank everyone on here for their help in the past in getting a decent system together.

But to the main problem. About a month ago, I was doing some rearranging on my entertainment center and unplugging/plugging back in and I have a Pyle Karaoke Mixer that connected a Roku to my AVR. Well, when I went to turn it on I discovered that it wasn't passing an image through and so I tried another HDMI input. It didn't work either. I finally realized I had plugged in the wrong adapter to the Karaoke Mixer (a 12 volt instead of the 5 volt) and it had fried the mixer hdmi along with the Roku and the port on the receiver. I removed that and realized somehow only 3 out of the 7 of the AVR HDMI ports were now working ( I guess the others some how got fried as well). Well it has been a month now and 2 of the other HDMI ports have fried and I only have 1 left. I am afraid this one will eventually fail, but am unsure. I hooked up a 5 way switch as I have 2 game systems, a computer, and a streaming device for the time being. I was curious, I saw that Marantz has an authorized repair center in Atlanta (4 hours away from where I live). Would it be worth it to take it there for repair? Is there a DIY repair possibility? I build my computers so is it similar to that inside one of these things? I bought this AVR used from Accessories For Less so there isn't any kind of warranty I know of although that wouldn't apply since it didn't malfunction. Should I just start looking for a new one? I hate to toss this one as I hate to waste something I could repair.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Have no idea if you could diy repair...but would think you wouldn't have to ask if you had the tools/skills to do that....

I'd at least contact the service center and see how much it would cost to at least diagnose and offer a quote for repair afterwards, or if they even have service parts/replacement boards available for an older model like that.

Could be time to replace, too.

Power off when making connections is generally a good thing :)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
First off, I want to thank everyone on here for their help in the past in getting a decent system together.

But to the main problem. About a month ago, I was doing some rearranging on my entertainment center and unplugging/plugging back in and I have a Pyle Karaoke Mixer that connected a Roku to my AVR. Well, when I went to turn it on I discovered that it wasn't passing an image through and so I tried another HDMI input. It didn't work either. I finally realized I had plugged in the wrong adapter to the Karaoke Mixer (a 12 volt instead of the 5 volt) and it had fried the mixer hdmi along with the Roku and the port on the receiver. I removed that and realized somehow only 3 out of the 7 of the AVR HDMI ports were now working ( I guess the others some how got fried as well). Well it has been a month now and 2 of the other HDMI ports have fried and I only have 1 left. I am afraid this one will eventually fail, but am unsure. I hooked up a 5 way switch as I have 2 game systems, a computer, and a streaming device for the time being. I was curious, I saw that Marantz has an authorized repair center in Atlanta (4 hours away from where I live). Would it be worth it to take it there for repair? Is there a DIY repair possibility? I build my computers so is it similar to that inside one of these things? I bought this AVR used from Accessories For Less so there isn't any kind of warranty I know of although that wouldn't apply since it didn't malfunction. Should I just start looking for a new one? I hate to toss this one as I hate to waste something I could repair.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!
That was a very unfortunate accident.

It is not a video board, but an HDMI board you need. Since at least one port is working the video board is OK. You are correct the other HDMI port will likely soon fail.

This was an unfortunate mistake, as that was an expensive receiver. As far as I can tell, it is a 2016 model.

Repair is problematic. The first problem you, or a repair center will face, is finding a new board. Spares are supposed to be available for seven years by law. That seldom is the case, especially for HDMI boards. This is because only one run is done. When they are gone, they are gone. Manufacturers seem to routinely under estimate the spares they need, and especially HDMI boards.

Encompass handle all the spare parts for Denon/Marantz. They are an awful outfit, which is unfortunate.

The next problem is that service manuals are not made available, except to authorized repair centers. This is a disgrace. The right to repair association is fighting an up hill battle to make it law for people to have access to what is required to do their own service. You can not really attempt a repair like this without a service manual. This is much tougher than computer repair. The board very likely requires an authentication procedure to make the board active, which almost certainly will not be available to you.

What I would do is get in touch with Encompass and see if an HDMI board is available for your receiver. This board will not be serviceable. If Encompass can not provide a board, a service center will not be able to get one either. So you will save yourself the expense of shipping and may be other charges as well.
If the board is available, then for a receiver in that price range repair could be justified, but it is still a toss up.

My view is that this whole situation is disgraceful and receivers should be built on a modular chassis with plug in modules, and then you pay for the amps you actually need and the inputs you need.

Cramming far too much in one box and making repair next to impossible is just wrong. I have a really low opinion on the state of the consumer electronics industry. When you really think about it, it is a truly appalling state of affairs.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis