Help with Dayton KAB-250 wiring

• Thread starter Brandon Longerbone
  • Start date
B

Brandon Longerbone

Audiophyte
So my question probably isnt limited to this specific amp, but I assume it helps to know. I basically have two questions:

1. The amp is designed for two speakers in stereo, but I want to add a subwoofer. I have a powered sub from my old theater system that I want to use, all I need is an audio signal for it, so I'm not worried about not having enough power to run it. I'm just not sure what the best way to wire it is to get both the left and right audio.

2. I have a suspicion that there may be a ground issue. Turning the volume knob makes a lot of scratching noise. Now I know that the most likely culprit is a dirty pot, and I haven't tried cleaning it yet. But since its a new pot, I just feel like thats unlikely. There also seems to be some hum, and it changes if I touch certain metal parts. It's in a wooden enclosure, is there any way I should be grounding it? Could the negative and positive leads on something be switched and causing this?

Appreciate the help.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
So my question probably isnt limited to this specific amp, but I assume it helps to know. I basically have two questions:

1. The amp is designed for two speakers in stereo, but I want to add a subwoofer. I have a powered sub from my old theater system that I want to use, all I need is an audio signal for it, so I'm not worried about not having enough power to run it. I'm just not sure what the best way to wire it is to get both the left and right audio.

2. I have a suspicion that there may be a ground issue. Turning the volume knob makes a lot of scratching noise. Now I know that the most likely culprit is a dirty pot, and I haven't tried cleaning it yet. But since its a new pot, I just feel like thats unlikely. There also seems to be some hum, and it changes if I touch certain metal parts. It's in a wooden enclosure, is there any way I should be grounding it? Could the negative and positive leads on something be switched and causing this?

Appreciate the help.
How to you think we can give you any advice with a post like that?

Usually what you are trying to do is not possible.

What Amp?

What speakers?

What sub?

We need to know everything in detail connected to the sub. Yes, every wire or cable connected to the unit and what it is connected to.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The board amp Dayton KAB250 is in his title, but not the body of his thread. Still, not a lot of info to go on such as how he's feeding that amp or with what, perhaps you could split some signal off with whatever you're using as source before the amp, altho that's still not going to be an ideal way to use the sub but should work.

B

Brandon Longerbone

Audiophyte
Sorry, I didn't know what you'd need. The amp is the Dayton KAB-250, the speakers are 4" Dayton drivers at 4 ohms each.

The subwoofer is a Sony SA-WMSP2, though I'm not sure that matters? It just has an RCA audio input and it's powered.

Here's what I could find for amp schematics:
https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/installation-guides/325-104--dayton-audio-kab-250-audio-amplifier-board-with-bluetooth-wiring-guide.pdf

https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/installation-guides/325-104--dayton-audio-kab-250-audio-amplifier-board-with-bluetooth-quick-start-wiring-guide.pdf

I have the 3 LEDs, the on/off switch, audio in, speakers, power in and volume control all plugged in, but not the battery cables or any of the other accessories.

It has Bluetooth capabilities so the audio comes in through that and it's powered by a 12V power supply. The KAB-250 is a 2x50 watt. The sub has a 50 watt amp with a 6 ohm, 8" woofer.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you're only using BT for audio in and you only have an rca input on the sub, I think you're somewhat screwed myself. There's a possibility of taking the high level output and converting it to line level with a converter, but I am not sure how that would work with such a unit on the same outputs for your speakers simultaneously...maybe someone can fill you in on the pros/cons of such a setup. I just wouldn't bother personally.

B

Brandon Longerbone

Audiophyte
It has an input for a audio in jack as well, would using that instead of the BT make a difference?

B

Brandon Longerbone

Audiophyte
You could split that signal off to a sub....
But if I wanted to retain BT functionality I'd have to add a receiver to that then.

Or I could trial and error search the Bluetooth component on the COB until I figure out which is the audio signal..?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You could use a line source directly (cd player or similar) without a receiver I'd think. What input level does that audio in jack require? What signal level does the sub require? Not sure what COB is....components on board? What level would that intercepted BT signal be?

B

Brandon Longerbone

Audiophyte
You could use a line source directly (cd player or similar) without a receiver I'd think. What input level does that audio in jack require? What signal level does the sub require? Not sure what COB is....components on board? What level would that intercepted BT signal be?
Sorry, it auto corrected from PCB. As far as all those specifics.. I have no idea. You know as much as I do based on the wiring diagrams I posted. I just wanted Bluetooth so I can control it from my phone or IPad while I cook or entertain guests ect.

B

Brandon Longerbone

Audiophyte
Alternatively, are there maybe some amps designed for 2.1 systems that would be an equivalent to what I have? Preferably with BT

B

Brandon Longerbone

Audiophyte
My end game here is for this to be my universal home audio system. I planned on adding Bluetooth transmitters to my record player and HTPC, and that way no matter what I'm doing I can connect it to the speakers for great sound and have as wire free a set up as possible.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry, it auto corrected from PCB. As far as all those specifics.. I have no idea. You know as much as I do based on the wiring diagrams I posted. I just wanted Bluetooth so I can control it from my phone or IPad while I cook or entertain guests ect.
I didn't read everything you posted, that's your job :)

Should be specified, look for input sensitivity for each unit, usually expressed in mV. Subs from htibs maybe not much info avail, tho I did see this when I was looking around https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/sony/sa-wmsp2.shtml. Great little site for old gear manuals and info. Signup, it's free.

My end game here is for this to be my universal home audio system. I planned on adding Bluetooth transmitters to my record player and HTPC, and that way no matter what I'm doing I can connect it to the speakers for great sound and have as wire free a set up as possible.
Wireless audio on the cheap, but many wouldn't call BT great sound but it has improved over the years. I use wifi based audio at home but use some BT receivers in the vehicles and have even plugged it in at home and its not horrible. About that record player being great sound, tho.... :)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
In order to this you need a BT to preamp, and an electronic crossover to your amp and sub.

Your other option is a receiver or AV pre/pro.

With what you have it is not possible unless you buy a sub with speaker level inputs, which I don't advise.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis