Help with Bose speakers and denon receiver

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Well, good luck to you then.

And I can't believe how many people can't accept the simple fact that they bought a totally integrated system that doesn't play well with others.

You would think the lack of an answer on the internet would be a clue, no?

You could always always pay someone to re-engineer the whole dang thing if it means that much to you. We really don't care that much about it to dvote the time, effort, and money to research an answer to a question that doesn't need to be answered.

...or, you could always call Bose for assistance. Their tech support is supposed to be great. :)

Last edited:
jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
The Lifestyle 28 has the amplifier and EQ built into the "bass module" and the speakers have RCA inputs. Makes me wonder how much power they could possibly get to the speakers using plain ol RCA cables. They're probably 28 or 24g. Regardless, you can't get the Bose EQ without using the amplifier in the bass module and it's probably horrendously bad to use the Bose speakers without the EQ.

So, that leaves you with wiring a receiver's pre-outs into the proprietary multi-pin block connector on the bass module. And what would you gain from that?

K

koocuz

Audiophyte
Wow

I didn't quite expect that response.

I was hoping someone had the pin-out for the 9 pin din on the AV38 system.

I thought perhaps someone has done this mod already since I have seen several dead head units. Which would make one think the nice but useless speaker packages could be revived.

If it is as simple as cutting the 9 pin cable and wiring RCA's for receiver pre-out(or high level?) connection then it seems like a simple "how-to", not reverse engineering. If there is a certain pin to turn the unit on/off, I could simply wire a small power supply that matched the voltage.

If its a lost cause and they have changed the way the woofer unit receives its signal from the head unit then that's no problem BUT, I do prefer my receiver to the Bose unit.

I know it sounds a little silly hooking up the Bose system via pre-out to a powered receiver. Reasons? My receiver has HDMI, way more connections, more control, I just like the interface better, ect.

This would also allow anyone who lost there head unit to re-use the speakers/sub with a different receiver.

My old Acoustimass 5.1 works great in the small space it occupies. The connection to the sub was surprisingly compatible with any receiver. The main harness just wires into the hi level outputs on the receiver and the sub to the pre-output.

Frankly, I am surprised there is no aftermarket adapter that takes link-B and gives you something useful.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Someone with the technical skill to do determine the pinout on a Bose system would probably never have bought a Bose system in the first place because they know better, and recognize how clunky the whole thing is in the first place. 2 full sets of speaker wires, and RCA cables running to the main speakers? Anyone who knows enough about electronics to provide such a pinout would realize that you shouldn't be spending so much money on a "sound system" that uses RCA cables as speaker cables.

The best thing for you to do would be to sell the whole system and get some decent speakers with the money. You already have a receiver.

K

koocuz

Audiophyte
It feels like I have entered an Anti-Bose site :)

Got the system second hand for a great deal and to be honest it sounds fantastic the way it is (not Bose new price fantastic). Yea, RCA plugs for the satellites are a bit cheesy, but they used decent gauge wires considering how small the speakers are and perhaps were thinking ease of use? I mean come on, they are color coded! haha

I noticed someone else had cut sheets for a different model pin-out, perhaps someone has one for this unit. That's why we have forums, no?

If I did end up selling this system can you recommend excellent sounding satellites that are similar in size to the Bose cubes?

Thanks

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
One main point you seem to ignore.

It's not necessatially a "Bose bashing" site as much as a site that realizes it's limitations and the strong hold that well-funded, properly placed, snazzy marketing has on the general public. PErsonally, I find some of their products decent, just not these under discussion.

There are major differences between your "Acoustimass speaker system" and your "Lifestyle (all-in-one) systems".

The "Acoustimass" line was designed as a stand-alone, passive speaker system. As such, it' perfectly happy with being driven with a receiver.

The "Lifestyle" line is designed as an all-in-one system, with all functionality contained within itself. While it may look like your Acoustimass speaker system with a "receiver", it's not. That's not a receiver. It's just a control unit, like the removable face plate on a car stereo.

All major electron1cs are contained within the "bass module". This includes the power supply for the whole system, all amplifiers, and the all-important Bose equalization system.

That "receiver" is much like the removable face-plate on a car stereo. It just controls all the functionality that takes place in the main unit.

Once you grasp that concept, the futility of what you're asking should become apparant.

As for small satellites, look at the current Orb line of speakers or, if you get lucky, try to find some Realistic Miimus 7's from the eighties. Both will really require a subwoofer but ar ecapable of surprisingly good sound and you won't miss Bose a bit.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja

Got the system second hand for a great deal and to be honest it sounds fantastic the way it is (not Bose new price fantastic). Yea, RCA plugs for the satellites are a bit cheesy, but they used decent gauge wires considering how small the speakers are and perhaps were thinking ease of use? I mean come on, they are color coded! haha

I noticed someone else had cut sheets for a different model pin-out, perhaps someone has one for this unit. That's why we have forums, no?

If I did end up selling this system can you recommend excellent sounding satellites that are similar in size to the Bose cubes?

Thanks
There are speakers roughly the size of the Bose modules that sound much better than Bose, but you will never get "excellent" sound out of a tiny driver.

Well, you can, but only at very low volume levels. Tiny drivers simply can't move enough air to have any flat response with low distortion at reasonable volume levels. Simple physics. There's a reason quality woofers start at 4" bare minimum.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
If it is as simple as cutting the 9 pin cable and wiring RCA's for receiver...
That's just it......it is not only the physical hook-up. (See Mark's post)
If it were that easy everyone would do it, and you would find it with an internet search.

It's not "Anti-Bose"... it's just Bose Reality.:)

F

FatmanSize48

Audioholic Intern
I once was a proud, ignorant owner of Bose. But now, I have a half decent setup, of which I will not go to in detail. For a few years, up until fairly recently, I had small bedroom 5.1 sound system of Mirage MX speakers. They are slightly smaller than the Bose, yet sound significantly better. When played at higher level, there is a small loss in sound quality; these little suckers cannot resist the laws of physics. Also, if I may quickly note the fact that the MX speakers have a tweeter and midrange within it's tiny enclosure, which, correct me if I am wrong, is the only speaker of it's size that has one. All and all, I do hope that you find something you like, and that you can get rid of your Bose.

P.S. I sold my Bose to an ignorant "friend" at almost full list price...sucker :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis