Help with backing up discs

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
I decided to 'back up' all of my CD's on my HDD, and I'm running into a few problems. Yep, I'm a late adopter.

I was using WMP to rip, and that was going reasonably well until the bugs started showing up and causing issues. Then I got a 30-day trial version of Direct Audio Converter, and that went well until the bugs started coming out. Undeterred, I carried on and got a full version of dBPower Amp and so far so good.

I'm using my Yamaha RX-A830 to stream. Everything, as far as I can tell, is set up for DLNA to work. When I got into the menu on the AVR, It will say ReadyDLNA, but when I click to open the music folder, it's empty.
Below ReadyDLNA there's another folder that says, Desktop: Barry (there are some letters and numbers) and all my music is in those folders.
So I'm not sure what the hell is going on.
Another odd thing when I open the DesktopBarry it offers me several folders Album Artists, Albums, etc.,... and I can see everything in those folders I have to open each file to get what I want.
When I click on a folder called 'folder', that lists all of my music by band name and much easier to navigate.
But, when I open a specific bands folder all the songs on the album are out of order. They have been alphabetized. UGH!

Apologies for this being so long but any, no really, any help is appreciated.

This (see below) started last night and carried on to today. The Internet seems to be working okay.
Now, when I open any folder and select the album, it takes a minute to start, then restarts or skips to next track, plays a few seconds to a moment then stutters, then jumps to next track or restarts.
UGH!!

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
So lets separate two different issues -
a) you need to backup/rip CDs into flac - a problem you seen to already resolved with commercial dBPowerAmp software, thou I prefer free EAC.
b) to stream music to your yammi, you need a DLNA server. Windows Media Center could be one or you could use other free or commercial offerings. Creator of dBPowerAmp happen to have their own DLNA server as well: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/asset-upnp-dlna.htm

ReadyDLNA sounds like you have media server capability enabled on your Netgear router and/or NAS.
Is this is where your music is right now?

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
So lets separate two different issues -
a) you need to backup/rip CDs into flac - a problem you seen to already resolved with commercial dBPowerAmp software, thou I prefer free EAC.
b) to stream music to your yammi, you need a DLNA server. Windows Media Center could be one or you could use other free or commercial offerings. Creator of dBPowerAmp happen to have their own DLNA server as well: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/asset-upnp-dlna.htm

ReadyDLNA sounds like you have media server capability enabled on your Netgear router and/or NAS.
Is this is where your music is right now?
Yes, this is where my music is now.
Yes, NetGear modem/router with Netgear Prosafe (model GS 108) 8 gigabite switch hardwired to Yammie.
As far as I can tell verything for using WMP is enabled to use as DLNA server. I'll look at the dB Power Amp. Thanks!

Everything is being ripped into FLAC.

Don't laugh BSA, I'm using a 7-8 year old Dell Inspiron 580. The HDD is pretty much empty so I decided to try to fill up with music.

Thanks for the help!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Personally I also use EAC to rip to FLAC and store it on various drives; suggest using something like Foobar2000 to manage/organize the playback, you can use your pc to stream it to your avr or even an android phone as a remote control...

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Personally I also use EAC to rip to FLAC and store it on various drives; suggest using something like Foobar2000 to manage/organize the playback, you can use your pc to stream it to your avr or even an android phone as a remote control...
change a few of the acronyms and products, and that's what I've been doing for a year. it works.
All of my original media is in my safe, all tucked away in sleeves in albums.
All of it was ripped and stored on a couple of media servers. That way no matter what disk dies in which machine, I always have two other complete working copies. I can recover without loss or re-ripping.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
There are lots of ways to skin this cat depending on what you have. In my case I use a very good network attached storage (NAS) box because my collection of FLACs is freaking huge and I've digitized my cartoon classic collection. If you don't mind leaving your PC on you can run dbPowerAMP's DLNA server. I use Plex Server and play my music back through Plex clients on Rokus, Android devices, and my NVIDIA Shield TV box but it also works as a vanilla DLNA server. Or with some routers you can plug an external drive into a USB port and use the router as a DLNA server. If none of those works out we can look into other options.

BTW dbPowerAMP rocks for ripping, as accurate as any other product and nothing else comes close to its automated ripping ability.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Just a reminder, hard drives do eventually die so be sure that you periodically backup your f
FLACs. I keep three copies of my FLACs, one on the PC that I use for ripping, the main copy on my QNAP network attached storage device/media server, and a third that lives on an external drive that I'll take with me if I'm ever forced to evacuate from this fire-prone area.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis